Foam Roller - looking for suggestions

hops&dreams

DIS Veteran
Can anyone suggest a foam roller? One to get or ones to be sure to avoid? Are the bumpy ones extra good or extra bad?

For some background: I started body pump about a month ago, and I've just upped my weights, coupled with a new release this week - woo, I'm sore! I'd like to roll out some of the soreness myself. I used my "the Stick" for things that I could do myself, and there are others that DH helped with (bless him!), but more I'd like to get myself with my body weight...

I've never used a foam roller before, but "The Stick"... I use it fairly often when I'm sore - Its been a great help!

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have two foam rollers. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29990116

That is one. I can't find the other. I have bought a few and what I learned was, if you want one that will hold up over time you need one with some sort of hard tube inside. It is usually PVC of some kind. The ones with just foam, and no PVC, end up breaking down. The PVC ones are a bit more money but I have two that have lasted me over a year whereas the foam ones I had prior last a couple months.

I agree on the plastic tube being better than the foam ones. I have one that is quite hard and came with three different density acupressure balls that fit inside (it is called a Travel roller). It can be painful since it is harder but I like it and it does seem to be lasting pretty well. The only problem is the cover slipping but that is just a fiddly thing to fit back on properly. Also consider using a tennis ball/golf ball/small rubber ball for various spots. I find a small rubber ball (bouncy one I bought from the supermarket) gets in under the shoulder blades nicely. Tennis balls or acupressure balls get into those hips/glute areas that are under a bit of flesh well too... but quite painful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter