Flying Toronto to MCO End of Summer is $$$

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
I know I had another post about WestJet but this one is about flight costs in general . It's probably a long shot but has anyone flown from Toronto to Orlando end of summer and remember around what you paid? It just seems ridiculously high and everytime I look, it keep going up. Current cost for four is $691 each making it a total of $2700. Is this normal for end of summer? We'd be willing to fly to say Tampa but do want a direct flight. We are flying Sun Aug 30 (for Mon-Fri cruise) and then want to return Labor Day Monday (Sept 7). Or we could do an evening flight on the 6th but the point is to add 3 days at the parks before flying home.

Would the airlines be testing the waters and it would come down? Or is it like March Break or Christmas where the price will just keep rising? Not sure what is "normal" for that time of year but am surprised at the cost. I know last summer we flew to Miami for around $2000 for the four of us.

It seems high. You have time to wait. The prices will come down. Wait until US Thanksgiving. There have been good deals over that particular weekend in the past. WestJet will also know better about when their MAX jets are re-entering the fleet and that will have an effect on prices as well.

We always look to fly out of the US then no customs and whatnot. Love JetBlue ., I’m in same boat as you .. flying aug 25- sept 4 and what’s out there is crazy high..
inbox me if you want we can work together and keep eyes open together #teamwork

Same here. We usually go to DLR in the summer and fly Delta. Next year is our first summer WDW trip and I have been pricing Westjet out of YYZ but didn't expect the price to be so high in the summer. I always read about people that find flights for a couple hundred bucks and have no idea where they get these flights!

You might want to consider the WJ Mastercard if you don't already have it, as you get a companion flight for $99.

It seems high. You have time to wait. The prices will come down. Wait until US Thanksgiving. There have been good deals over that particular weekend in the past. WestJet will also know better about when their MAX jets are re-entering the fleet and that will have an effect on prices as well.
Fingers crossed. I thought maybe the prices are extra high since we are planning on staying over labor day weekend, but if we return home on the Friday (right after the cruise), its the same thing.

It's not for everyone but we find flying Southwest out of Buffalo to be a huge cost saver! We went in April and September this year and both times paid around $225US/person round trip. This also includes luggage as SW does not charge an additional fee for luggage.
Prefer not to drive to have to drive to Buffalo, but not dismissing it either. i think Southwest and JetBlue come out later and closer to the date, right? That's an amazing price!
I am also looking at flying into/out of Tampa as an option too....if it makes a big difference.

We always look to fly out of the US then no customs and whatnot. Love JetBlue ., I’m in same boat as you .. flying aug 25- sept 4 and what’s out there is crazy high..
inbox me if you want we can work together and keep eyes open together #teamwork
So you're seeing it too. Are you looking at flying out of Buffalo? Yes, similar dates. I'm checking daily and prices are going the wrong way (unless that's an Expedia trick to try and make you book something)

Same here. We usually go to DLR in the summer and fly Delta. Next year is our first summer WDW trip and I have been pricing Westjet out of YYZ but didn't expect the price to be so high in the summer. I always read about people that find flights for a couple hundred bucks and have no idea where they get these flights!

You might want to consider the WJ Mastercard if you don't already have it, as you get a companion flight for $99.
Thanks. I've heard that the card is good. We currently do have a nice amount of Expedia points to redeem so that helps but otherwise, would consider a WJ card. Yeah...good question about the cheap flights.

When checking pricing for flights or hotels, always use an incognito browser or clear your cookies/history first.

Hoping the border isn't always everyone's best option but truly understand the prices. I work at GTAA and we have only flown once from it. We drive to either Buffalo or Detroit and google park sleep fly and pick a hotel with parking, shuttle and breakfast. It's a little absurd me us to get a Buffalo hotel when we can drive there in about 2 hours but we can unwind, get dinner at Bob Evans and not have any stress on making it to the airport early enough.
Having said that we would like to fly from home for our trip but the only AC flights are on Rouge and we may as well get J class. $3000 for 2 people. That is about 1800 on Westjet even though it's not the same J class. Price is $200 less if we fly from London and transfer in Toronto. Jetlblue and Southwest haven't released the sched yet but Jetblue is my preference I've flown on them alot and I know what I can expect for price. For the fun of it I checked Delta out of Detroit and they are $1800 J class.
Just based on past experience I'm guessing Jetblue will be between 600 to 800 with the Even More seats.

Don't forget about Swoop (owned by Westjet) that flies out of the Hamilton airport. They fly to MCO, but the schedule is not open for the summer yet.

We live in the west GTA and usually fly out of Buffalo. Easy and usually a significant cost savings. Usually stay over night before we fly and book a park n fly package which gives you the room and parking for less than parking at YYZ.

How is Swoop? They seem to have very good prices but I am iffy of trying them.... especially when on a timeline to catch a cruise.

My sister flew with them to go out east and absolutely loved them but I'm waiting for them to size up their fleet and add some cushion to their schedule. 1 flight a day with no spare equipment is ok if you have some flexibility to your vacation but not everyone does. I work in this industry. You can have a brand new airplane and right before push back something breaks and your flight is delayed or cancelled. I have no doubt Swoop will be a very good company soon but ya if I'm going on a cruise verses a leisure vacation there is a difference on who I buy a ticket from.

My sister flew with them to go out east and absolutely loved them but I'm waiting for them to size up their fleet and add some cushion to their schedule. 1 flight a day with no spare equipment is ok if you have some flexibility to your vacation but not everyone does. I work in this industry. You can have a brand new airplane and right before push back something breaks and your flight is delayed or cancelled. I have no doubt Swoop will be a very good company soon but ya if I'm going on a cruise verses a leisure vacation there is a difference on who I buy a ticket from.
Exactly my hesitation. Same thing with Air Transat.

Well I tried a dummy date Hamilton MCO return 2 adults and chose a low fare depart and return using 79 and 89 dollar fare just so I could compare to Jetblue. I picked extra room seats because it was a bit over 45 per seat per person and Jetblue's Even More seat for BUF-MCO is 40. The bags are expensive. $42 for carry on or suitcase I'l take the suitcase. The total was around $780 return for 2 adults. This is about a thousand less than the mainline Westjet. The only thing I really do not like is the menu that you can only buy with a credit card. Jetblue allows you to prepurchase when you buy your ticket but not Swoop. You can buy your ticket with debit or credit but you can only buy menu items with credit. Wouldn't be so bad but you even have to pay for coffee and water. We rarely eat on board but like to have something to drink. That's just as a reminder to buy something to drink or snack on before you board. Both airports have options past security.

Well I tried a dummy date Hamilton MCO return 2 adults and chose a low fare depart and return using 79 and 89 dollar fare just so I could compare to Jetblue. I picked extra room seats because it was a bit over 45 per seat per person and Jetblue's Even More seat for BUF-MCO is 40. The bags are expensive. $42 for carry on or suitcase I'l take the suitcase. The total was around $780 return for 2 adults. This is about a thousand less than the mainline Westjet. The only thing I really do not like is the menu that you can only buy with a credit card. Jetblue allows you to prepurchase when you buy your ticket but not Swoop. You can buy your ticket with debit or credit but you can only buy menu items with credit. Wouldn't be so bad but you even have to pay for coffee and water. We rarely eat on board but like to have something to drink. That's just as a reminder to buy something to drink or snack on before you board. Both airports have options past security.
You mean Hamilton to MCO? I just tried and got $1705 a person (so time that by 4). Not sure if I misunderstood.

You mean Hamilton to MCO? I just tried and got $1705 a person (so time that by 4). Not sure if I misunderstood.
Ya I didn't pick a specific date. Since the rates are posted I picked a low fare day and a low fare return as well. If you look at November most fares from Hamilton to MCO are 89 but Feb and March are 200-300. That could help explain why you got a much higher price. Dec 25 the fare is 600.

It’s still too early. For late summer, I often buy as late as July and have always gotten rates in the $350 to $400 range. I also find Air Canada to be cheaper about eighty percent of the time. Just watch pricing on a nearly daily basis. You’ll catch many sales before your travel.

It’s still too early. For late summer, I often buy as late as July and have always gotten rates in the $350 to $400 range. I also find Air Canada to be cheaper about eighty percent of the time. Just watch pricing on a nearly daily basis. You’ll catch many sales before your travel.
Thank you. This is good to hear! We usually get Tor to MIA for $1900-2100 for the four of us so really hope MCO comes down . $350-400 is a really good price!

The end of August is the most expensive time over the summer. Specifically the last 10 days. Everyone is vacationing before school starts. This is considered a peak period in the travel industry. Also, anytime you are using a holiday Monday at the end of your vacation the fares are higher.

You may or may not find a better fare than what you are currently seeing.....it's a roll of the dice.

The end of August is the most expensive time over the summer. Specifically the last 10 days. Everyone is vacationing before school starts. This is considered a peak period in the travel industry. Also, anytime you are using a holiday Monday at the end of your vacation the fares are higher.

You may or may not find a better fare than what you are currently seeing.....it's a roll of the dice.
Thanks for the reply. That's my fear...that although not as bad as Christmas or March break, it's still prime travel time. But is this only for MCO? Last year we were able to get $2k to MIA vs what I'm seeing now at $2700 for MCO . Btw...iF I do a check returning the Friday instead of labor day Monday, price is the same.

Has anyone flown into Tampa? This brings the cost down closer to $2200 (at the moment anyways)
We would then need to taxi or uber from Tampa airport to Port Canaveral (hotel pre-cruise) and then taxi or uber back to Tampa airport form Disney World.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!