Flooded POTC boats

Your experiences has made it easy for me to decide that we're just going to pass on POTC. No wish to get wet on a ride like that.

On other water rides ... Log flume / Jurassic Park /etc ... I have experience getting

more wet from a bigger splash ... whenever there are more people loaded in the boat.

Same goes for if the other passengers are full size (heavier boat = bigger splash)

Shame on them if they are overloading the boats ... and the result is standing water in the boats.

Last edited:

Can you ask to be put in back or to wait until you can be put in back or do the cm's get annoyed at this?

Not good news to hear. Love Pirates, but not looking forward to this.
Will be following this thread to see if I will just pass it next trip :(

We rode Sunday during the party. Asked to be in the back and CM let us. Very happy we rode in the back because the people in the front were soaked. Also, when we got on the ride it already had about 2 inches of standing water in the boat.

We're just 2 adults so I'm not completely sure about larger groups but if you ask nicely I'm sure they try to accommodate guests to the best of their ability. We're going back tomorrow with fastpases. I'm wearing quick to dry clothes. Lol.

Thank you so much for this update. I guess it's what you like, but we don't want to be soaked. Just cancelled our FPs for November.

We rode it during the MNSSHP.... had the boat for the 3 of us.... plus 3 others - they had us in the front, them in the back to "balance" the boat. I noticed that... and she actually corrected the other party's row when she realized we'd be front heavy. I just thought that was interesting....

Wow, that is kind of shocking to hear. They closed for so long to fix the issues, and now it seems worse. What the heck did they do while it was closed?

The refurb was never meant to reduce splashing on the boats.

During the downtime, they updated the ride lighting, audio, and smells.
They also completely dismantled and rebuilt every single animatronic, gave many of them completely newly designed outfits, and repainted many of the environmental features.

I believe they also adjusted the rate at which the boats fall, and that seems to be what is causing the problems. Prior to the refurb, I would sometimes get lightly splashed if we were near a cannon blast. I still don't get as wet and others are claiming (and I have sat in the front row), but there is more of splash on the drop now.

Also to note, I usually end up in the back just because of the fact that I am a single rider, and they never put more than a party of 2 in the row with me. One night the CM did ask if I minded getting wet, I said no and was put in the front. I was the only one in the row, and I was completely dry about 5 minutes after getting off the ride at 11 at night.

Anecdote is not the plural of data, but in the many times that I have ridden since the reopening, I have yet to get soaked on this ride

The refurb was never meant to reduce splashing on the boats.

During the downtime, they updated the ride lighting, audio, and smells.
They also completely dismantled and rebuilt every single animatronic, gave many of them completely newly designed outfits, and repainted many of the environmental features.

I believe they also adjusted the rate at which the boats fall, and that seems to be what is causing the problems. Prior to the refurb, I would sometimes get lightly splashed if we were near a cannon blast. I still don't get as wet and others are claiming (and I have sat in the front row), but there is more of splash on the drop now.

Also to note, I usually end up in the back just because of the fact that I am a single rider, and they never put more than a party of 2 in the row with me. One night the CM did ask if I minded getting wet, I said no and was put in the front. I was the only one in the row, and I was completely dry about 5 minutes after getting off the ride at 11 at night.

Anecdote is not the plural of data, but in the many times that I have ridden since the reopening, I have yet to get soaked on this ride

I understand they did some upgrades and "surface work" but I also thought the boats were a big problem and one reason the ride shut down. I had read that they started using light boats, but those boats jostled people around and were taking on water. I thought this was to be addressed in the refurb. There are reports of people before the refurb complaining of getting wet and banging knees and getting jostled around all due to the new lighter boats. It just seems, according to these reports, that those issues were not addressed and the ride is breaking down, which I would not expect after being closed for months.

We had FPs last Tuesday afternoon & went to the left. Only the 2 of us in our row & we were in the 3rd row. We didn't get splashed at all & the boat was overall pretty full. No standing water in the boat either. Guess we were just lucky.

We rode twice when we were there a couple weeks ago - I didn't go the first time since I heard about folks getting wet. No one in our party got wet either time, although the second ride the folks in the front row did get a little splash.

I suspect it depends a lot on the CM...

I understand they did some upgrades and "surface work" but I also thought the boats were a big problem and one reason the ride shut down. I had read that they started using light boats, but those boats jostled people around and were taking on water. I thought this was to be addressed in the refurb. There are reports of people before the refurb complaining of getting wet and banging knees and getting jostled around all due to the new lighter boats. It just seems, according to these reports, that those issues were not addressed and the ride is breaking down, which I would not expect after being closed for months.

Reports of boat work were just rumors - there was no official communication prior to or during the refurb that the boats were going to be replaced.

DLR ordered the lighter boats, didn't like them, and sent them over to WDW.

I personally didn't notice people start to complain about water on Pirates until the refurb was announced and speculation started, though that may have just been a side-effect of frequency illusion. I do believe that something they did to the drop has made the splashing more problematic than before.

We were there for the Halloween Party on 16Oct and rode POTC with our party of 8 - 4 young kids and 4 adults. We were split evenly between the first two rows of a boat. Everyone in the first row (incl me!) were soaked and the 2nd row got pretty wet too. We were all in our Halloween costumes and were not happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter