Flight of Passage Advice

I checked the wait times on Touring Plans for FoP recently. On that day, the park was open from 9am to 9 pm. At 9:20 am, the wait time for FoP was 240 minutes. At 8:40 pm, the wait was 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Although we were able to get FPs for FOP on 60+5 and 60+9, I think we will definitely be trying the late night attempts as well. Who knows? maybe we can finagle 4+ rides during our trip?? This thread has given me high hopes! 8-)

This is all very good stuff people! Obviously trying daily to get actual fast passes, but we are a party of 12, so I don't like our chances.

12 is a big party. I have not done this myself, but I read some advice that you may be able to get fast passes easier if you split into groups of people and then try for overlapping FP periods. For example: with three groups of four people in each group, group 1 9-10, group 2 9:20-10:20, group 3 9:40-10:40. Everyone goes together between 9:40-10.

I wonder if you can get ADR for Tusker House to get into the park, then ditch the ADR (pay the penalty) and queue for FoP instead

No advice here since all the times we have ridden it have been on a FP+ except 1 and for that we just waited in like a 120 minute que. Just the wife and I but we sort of have this weird rule when it comes to rides at WDW. We always go stand by at least once on every new ride. We like to experience the ride que at least once and take pictures and see all the design that went into a ride. I have no desire to wait that long again but we really enjoyed going through the que just to see the story and all the design features. We have AP's and it's just the two of us and we go several times a year so we don't feel like we are wasting "ticket time". I think this habit started many years ago at DL right after the Indiana Jones ride opened. This was before any form of FP and if you wanted to ride it you waited. The kids were young and the que was very cool and had a lot of interactive stuff. Over three days we rode it a bunch of times and actually enjoyed it. Of course this was when the kids were younger, cell phones were not a thing and we just enjoyed the time together.

You tried to book FoP for Tue 11/13 this morning and there were none? I thought they were still available around 60+3 or 4? I have a Christmas trip coming up and was hoping to grab this toward the end of our trip....
I'm also going over Christmas. My 60 day window opens Sunday, October 21st. If I can't get FOP, we are planning to get to the park EARLY. Our AK day has an EMH that starts at 7am. Any advice on what time we should get to the park before the 7am opening. One of our family members is coming from Hawaii and would really love to experience FOP! We are staying on site and don't have a car. should we Uber/Lyft to the park, or chance the bus?

We were at WDW about ten days ago. I wasn't able to get a FOP FastPass until our last park day for the trip, the same day we were heading to the airport! Our FP was for 9:45-10:45. At 9:45 the standby wait time was 210 minutes. I asked two castmembers about the wait times. One said to get in the standby line at the end of the evening, near park closing. Another said to try to get a FP between 8:50-9:10 a.m. I guess that would mean you'd have to cancel other FPs to get it.
We had the Navi River Journey FP on our first trip day. Maybe because we never have seen Pandora the movie, but we were quite underwhelmed with Navi. After having ridden FOP, it was good, but there's no way I would wait even an hour to ride it. Or anything else, actually.

We just went last week and we were not able to get FPs for FOP. So we got in line about 5 minutes before closing and only waited 35 minutes to ride. It was a fantastic ride and we were glad we got to see the queue.

No, this was a few days ago. I am well into my 60 day window now, fastpass ship has sailed.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Makes more sense to me now. I guess they slowly open AK early to avoid the insane lines/crowds/rushing that would ensue from an actual rope drop, as FoP is just too popular right now.

What time would be ideal to get in line to try and do FoP at closing? This is for Thurs, Nov 8th. The park closes at 8:00, and Rivers of Light is at 6:30 (the timing of which I feel like does not help me here.) Should I go get in line at like 7:55? There must be a time that they stop people from entering the queue, is that 8:00 sharp?
You don't give up on the FP because the odds are high they are going to extend park hours. Extended park hours means additional FP will be released. Note (Important) they will NOT release the FP at the same time they extend the hours. It is usually several days between. You have to check several times a day after park hours are changed.

You can get in line right up until closing time. For an 8 pm close, you can literally get in line at 7:59:59 and will still be allowed to ride.

There have been several recent reports of 20 minute actual waits at closing time. This is probably a more efficient use of time than arriving and hour and a half before the park opens and dealing with those crowds. Just keep in mind that posted waits are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

Those wait times won’t even be close during the last hour or so of operation. We often found the posted times to be about 4x the actual wait.

This is common practice at WDW. We first read about it in the 1999 Unofficial Guide so it’s nothing new.
This is as much due to no FP returners as anything, no longer simply to discourage late riders. That info is so well known it no longer discourages anyone anyway. But the wait time was last posted when there were still FP folks so the standby waits are much different than they are once the park closes. And no one updates the wait times after that.

This is all very good stuff people! Obviously trying daily to get actual fast passes, but we are a party of 12, so I don't like our chances.
I got a party of 7 same day earlier this month. And there were enough time slots to have gotten overlapping for more.

This is as much due to no FP returners as anything, no longer simply to discourage late riders. That info is so well known it no longer discourages anyone anyway. But the wait time was last posted when there were still FP folks so the standby waits are much different than they are once the park closes. And no one updates the wait times after that.

This practice is definitely not well known which is why it works so well. Most members on this board are not aware of it either.

Just recently, we found a 90 minute posted wait at Toy Story about an hour before closing time. The posted time alone sent most would be riders in a different direction. The few of us that did get in line found an actual wait of less than 10 minutes. We rode 3 or 4 times in about a half an hour then headed toward Fantasmic. When we left I noticed that the posted time had been lowered to 65.

The practice is known as “Line Stacking” and is still in place and has been long before FastPass. It’s definitely intentional and is intended to discourage late riders and funnel them towards then gift shops and the exits.

Last year during Thanksgiving week we were parking at 6:45am for 8am AK park opening. They opened FoP only at 7:30am. Since we were there early we didn't have to wait in much of a line. Trust me, there were still MASSES of people there before us and we had a party of 8 to navigate together (and not lose 4 children:). Most of the "waiting" once they opened FoP was walking throught the queue. Actual standing/waiting in the line was no more than 10-20 min. We were off the ride shortly after 8am (no later than 8:15am).

Definitely do not give up on getting fastpasses! I was able to get FOP at 60+5 for the middle of December but I wanted another closer to the beginning of our trip as well. I have been checking 4 or 5 times everyday and yesterday quite a few showed up for the 2nd and 3rd day of our trip. It was yesterday afternoon around 4pm when they were added.

Definitely do not give up on getting fastpasses! I was able to get FOP at 60+5 for the middle of December but I wanted another closer to the beginning of our trip as well. I have been checking 4 or 5 times everyday and yesterday quite a few showed up for the 2nd and 3rd day of our trip. It was yesterday afternoon around 4pm when they were added.
Curious note to your time.
When we were there earlier this month I was looking for FP while waiting on the 3:00 show at Nemo. Many FoP FP popped up. Too many for it to have been from people dropping FP, unless hundreds dropped at once. I have yet to have time to check on another day around 3 (eastern) to see if it happens again, so I don't know if it was 1 time thing or what.

Don't give up on the FP. I was in the same situation no FP at 60+5 and then at exactly 30 days I scored a FP for it :) I'm so excited! My advice is to keep checking often.

Anyone have feedback on how well this strategy works (or any minor tweaks to it) for the ‘crowd level=insane’ Dec 26-NY week?

Anyone have feedback on how well this strategy works (or any minor tweaks to it) for the ‘crowd level=insane’ Dec 26-NY week?

A late night plan will always work. No matter the crowd level, guests will get tired and leave early and the lines near closing will be the shortest of the day. Just keep in mind that the posted wait times are intentionally exaggerated at night to discourage late riders.

We were at Animal Kingdom yesterday. And even though it was pretty busy, we were able to score same day fastpasses for 4 people at 4:15. The standby wait at that time was 180 minutes. The ride is great, but I cant imagine waiting 3 hours for it.

Was able to snag 845 Fps for FOP Dec29 for my family of 5...... My kids still want to try and get to park at rope drop and be at the front of the line, Haven't decided yet what were gonna due.... The day we are going is a Early Morning Entry so the park opens at 8 that day meaning we wold have to be there at 7!!!!!!........ I do like getting to the parks early.....lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter