Fl Laws of the road....maybe a sticky should go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned to drive in NY, lived there for 31 years before moving to CT, then moving here. Have been here for 20 years...
I hate to break it to you, but it is not a law to drive in the right lane.. read what you have posted.. stay with the flow of traffic.. and if ONE is staying with the flow of traffic and you have an inpatient person who wants to go way above the speed limit, they are putting others in danger. Speeding is against the law. I will NOT get a ticket for driving 5 miles over the limit in the left lane on a 3 lane highway, but someone dying to pass me because they want to go 20 miles over will.. I was going with the flow of traffic.. had I moved over, the tailgater would have either followed me or had to contend with another car tailgating that one.. so .. hmmmm who is wrong? The one going with the flow of traffic or the tailgater.. :confused3 I say tailgater..
:thumbsup2

You were NOT going with the flow of traffic. You had someone behind you who was too close to you. You can't control his actions, but you can control yourself.

The full text of what I posted had nothing to do with it, that's why I didn't include the HOV stuff. You wanted to pull a "ha ha!" on me, but it didn't work. Obviously if there's an HOV lane, that lane isn't the "left lane" in terms of what we're talking about. While driving around home, there's the "left lane" that we're talking about, and there's an HOV lane further to the left of that. If you can't be in the HOV lane, it's invisible for the purposes of what we're talking about. And you don't use the HOV lane as a passing lane either. You use the "left lane" for that, ignoring the fact that there's an HOV lane even "lefter".

Now let's put the full portions of what you quoted here..

5.27 - Traffic Lanes
Always drive on the right side of a two-lane highway except when passing. If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the
right lanes except when overtaking and passing.
Left lanes on some interstate roads are reserved for car pool vehicles with two or more
occupants in the car
- watch for diamond signs in the median. The center lane of a three-lane or five-lane highway is used only for turning left.
........can you tell me where it says that you cannot drive in the left lane on the interstate? I was on I-4, I means Interstate.. completely legal to be driving in that left lane! Read all of what it states, this is not a 2 lane highway, but an interstate! I know my roads, and know my rules.

5.9.1 - Driving Too Slowly is also Against the Law
Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). You should not drive so slowly that you block other vehicles moving at normal, safe speeds.
When driving slower than the flow of traffic, keep right so others may safely pass. You can be issued a ticket for driving too slowly. When the
posted speed limit is 70 mph, the minimum speed limit is 50 mph
..... so if the speed limit is 65 and you are doing 70, you are NOT going too slow....

You may want to take note on this one... seems it is ok to speed for you if you are in the left lane.. but it doesn't say that in the very handbook you quoted from...
5.9 - Speed Limits
Speed causes many crashes. More drivers are convicted of speeding than any other offense. To avoid being fined or involved in a crash, obey
the speed limits. Speed is very important in a collision. If you double the speed of a car, you increase its force of impact four times. If you triple
the speed, the impact is nine times as great.

It's painful to me that the first bit isn't been seen by you. I made it bold and big above.

If you are going slower than the person behind you, you aren't going with the speed of the road, and you are the slower person and are unsafe at that moment. Speed up or get out of the way. Why do I feel like I care more about your safety than you did at that moment? I don't WANT you to be rear-ended. I don't want there to be a crash. I don't want your sense of "I'm doing what is right" to kill you.

It's not your *fault*, but it's your responsibility to get out of the way.

I wasn't doing anyone a favor, he followed me into that lane after he felt I cut him off.. he stayed on my tail. he had NO ONE in front of him in the middle lane, he could have stayed there had he wanted to go faster than I was going.. do you not see what I was trying to say, did you read my original thread or are you just reading between lines in this thread...:confused3 I feel like I am beating a dead horse here.. some one felt I cut them off, which I did not, I had ample space when I went from the right lane to the middle lane. Then I proceeded to the left lane knowing that the Disney exist were coming up. I figured I would get out of the way of anyone wanting to get on or off those exits. I stayed with the flow of traffic in the left lane. The car who I went in front of followed me, he was up on my bumper. He remained there until he realized his Disney exist was coming up. Due to the fact he was on my tail in the left lane, he had to cut off others by going over the 3 lanes of traffic since the exit ramp was now coming up for him. Why, I don't know why he felt compelled to do this to me. Did he want to pass me, no.. he did not. He was NOT speeding to pass me. Most who would have wanted to pass would have done so by going into a lane that had no one in there at that point. He was following me, or can you not see what I am saying.. a classic case of road rage..

And by you staying there, you made his rage higher. You can't control his actions. All you can do is control your own. And you made yourself less safe by staying in front of him.

so what rule is wrong? instead of saying OP is wrong let's work together and correct them.. or do you not know the rules of the road.. ;) where was I wrong? It is not against the law to drive in the left lanes on the interstate. It is not against the law to drive in the left lanes as long as they are driving lanes. read up on the laws of the road..
http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2011&Title=-%3E2011-%3EChapter%20316

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle, on audible signal or upon the visible blinking of the headlamps of the overtaking vehicle if such overtaking is being attempted at nighttime, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

The driver of the car being passed needs to move to the right so the passing vehicle can pass.

Right?

So....someone behind you is awfully close, sounds like they want to pass, so you are now the car being overtaken, so...get to the right.

Right?

Directly from the statutes.

Getting back to the original suggestion for a "sticky" regarding Florida driving laws.

It seems completely unnecessary to me. The laws and practices in Florida seem consistent with those in the rest of the United States. States base their state driving laws on the Uniform Vehicle Code, and Florida is no exception.

There's nothing unusual about driving in Florida. There are no "gotchas" that Florida uses to give extract fines from tourists. All it takes to drive in Florida is a combination of paying attention to highway signs, using common sense, and being courteous to others on road.

That's what I was trying to get at by mentioning the states I've driven in. That it's common.

I drive a grey/silver car at home, in Western WA. You can bet I'm hyper-ware of my car's lack of visibility when it's raining or grey, and I know that's why they want lights on. Sometimes here at home it can rain while it's sunny, and that's a little confusing, LOL. I haven't yet experienced a sunny rain in SC or FL; my experiences have involved huge scary storms (especially one I encountered in GA while on my way from SC to FL....side story, fun times when you've been driving in the summer with manual windows and manual sunroof all open, and then you can see wet cars coming the other direction, and have to roll it all up before you get to the storm!) where it becomes DARK while raining, so it's not a difficulty to remember you need lights on (even if they don't come on automatically or are already on....and with the cars I've had, daytime lights are the same brightness as light-lights are, yes I've checked!). I'm sure there are sunny storms there, but I've never experienced one. So, what I'm saying is...my "lights on during rain" education comes from home in WA, not from FL info.

http://www.jupiterlegaladvocates.com/2012/03/2851/

Regarding if there is a Law (vs. common sense) using the left lane, this article seems to indicate that the left lane is not reserved for passing only.

The proposal requires an operator of a motor vehicle to yield the left lane when being overtaken on a multilane highway. (i.e. you can be in the left lane- just get out of the way if faster traffic approaches).

It boils down to just common sense, which a lot of drivers don't have.

Have you completely missed the posts with the state statutes listed regarding left lane driving??? 5.27-Traffic lanes is pretty clear. Use the left lane for passing/overtaking another vehicle. It does not say that you are allowed to just amble along over there. Now...would an officer pull you over if you were seen in that left lane, with no one in the middle lane, and someone behind you??? Have no idea. But, for the life of me...I can't understand why people feel they have to be in that far left lane if they aren't passing anyone, and the middle lane is open....I just don't get it. But then again, my dh does it all the time, and it drives me nutty when he does it as well.

Have you completely missed the posts with the state statutes listed regarding left lane driving??? 5.27-Traffic lanes is pretty clear. Use the left lane for passing/overtaking another vehicle. It does not say that you are allowed to just amble along over there. Now...would an officer pull you over if you were seen in that left lane, with no one in the middle lane, and someone behind you??? Have no idea. But, for the life of me...I can't understand why people feel they have to be in that far left lane if they aren't passing anyone, and the middle lane is open....I just don't get it. But then again, my dh does it all the time, and it drives me nutty when he does it as well.

I don't think I missed any point. Look at the article, and then look at the bill http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/0244/BillText/Filed/PDF
The pertinant information starts at about line 53 of the text, and refers to changing Florida law 316.083.

Would you agree that this bill they are trying to pass will result in more restrictive laws regarding the left lane? How can you get more restrictive if the current law requires you to use the left lane for passing only? The gist of the bill is that you will be required to move over if you are impeding movement in that lane.

THe 5.27 you are quoting is from a HANDBOOK. It suggests things that you should do and things you are required by law to do.

Here is the florida statute on overtaking vehicles:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.083.html
Read 0316.083 (2) 'Except when overtaking on the right is permitted'

Then see the florida statute on when overtaking on the right is permitted
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.084.html

Read 0316.084(b)- That sure sounds like a description of a multilane highway to me.

The whole point of this bill is to further restrict the existing statute, which the way it reads sure doesn't look like it expressly outlaws driving in the left lane if not passing.

I don't think I missed any point. Look at the article, and then look at the bill http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/0244/BillText/Filed/PDF
The pertinant information starts at about line 53 of the text, and refers to changing Florida law 316.083.

Would you agree that this bill they are trying to pass will result in more restrictive laws regarding the left lane? How can you get more restrictive if the current law requires you to use the left lane for passing only? The gist of the bill is that you will be required to move over if you are impeding movement in that lane.

THe 5.27 you are quoting is from a HANDBOOK. It suggests things that you should do and things you are required by law to do.

Here is the florida statute on overtaking vehicles:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.083.html
Read 0316.083 (2) 'Except when overtaking on the right is permitted'

Then see the florida statute on when overtaking on the right is permitted
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.084.html

Read 0316.084(b)- That sure sounds like a description of a multilane highway to me.

The whole point of this bill is to further restrict the existing statute, which the way it reads sure doesn't look like it expressly outlaws driving in the left lane if not passing.
Yes, I see that. And yes, it is basically a 'suggestion'...and I think it should be a 'law'. BUT....when you consider that the vast majority of people learn to drive based on a 'handbook', I guess it's good enough for me when trying to show what the 'intent' is. The OP posted something, we just posted to show that her 'intent' wasn't really correct.

I don't know about your state, but in my state, you study the handbook before taking the test to get your drivers license. I would think that means that it is what you should do.

I remember when the law in NC was that kids could be in a regular seat belt at 4 years/40 lbs. Of course the recommendation of the NHTSA was a lot more stringent. I kept my child in his booster, because of that and also because common sense told me that having the seat belt laying on his face was not optimal for him safety. I am a teacher and had 3-6 years old at that time. We would have 4yo kids come in for field trip with nothing. I am talking 30 lbs soaking wet, but they were 4. Sometimes we just have to use our brains. Just because something isn't an official law doesn't mean it isn't best practice. Seat belt laws for adults---same thing.

As far as someone staying in the left lane when someone is coming up behind them going faster, I think that is driving unsafely. It's not my job to keep someone from speeding and if you don't get out of the way, they will get into the right lanes trying to pass and that can be more dangerous for everyone involved.

So, I am not supposed to enter the intersection when the light is yellow? How the heck am I supposed to know that the light is about to turn yellow?? Are they going to add an orange light to warn about the impending yellow? My rule is that if the light turns yellow and I can't stop safely, I go ahead through. If I am able to stop, I do. No way to stop if you get a few carlengths away from the light and it turns. Now some people speed up and don't stop when they could, and THAT is a safety issue.
few pointers here..
first off, he did not come up behind me going faster.. he followed me into that lane from the middle and tailgated behind me.. totally different case, but not many here are getting what I tried to point out. He had no one in front of him in the middle lane once I moved to the left, he had free roam to speed if he wanted to. He choose to move to tailgate me because he felt I went in front of him from the right lane..

as far as entering the intersection on a yellow or turning yellow are two different animals too.. You have the correct rule of thumb. If it is yellow, and you can stop safely, that is the law, that is what you do. If it is turning yellow while you are in the intersection, you proceed through it. If it is yellow as you are entering it, and you can safely stop, but you do not & it turns red.. while an officer see's you, it is their option to ticket you for running a red light. They witnessed you making the decision to enter that intersection knowing that you could have stopped safely... :goodvibes some here are not seeing how this law works... I don't understand why either... yes, you can get a ticket for "running" a yellow light.. and that is how.. :goodvibes

I don't know about your state, but in my state, you study the handbook before taking the test to get your drivers license. I would think that means that it is what you should do.

I remember when the law in NC was that kids could be in a regular seat belt at 4 years/40 lbs. Of course the recommendation of the NHTSA was a lot more stringent. I kept my child in his booster, because of that and also because common sense told me that having the seat belt laying on his face was not optimal for him safety. I am a teacher and had 3-6 years old at that time. We would have 4yo kids come in for field trip with nothing. I am talking 30 lbs soaking wet, but they were 4. Sometimes we just have to use our brains. Just because something isn't an official law doesn't mean it isn't best practice. Seat belt laws for adults---same thing.

The handbook doesn't give you the law, they teach you the basics. I know in my handbook from NY way back in the early 70's they said when you are backing out of a driveway, and their are children playing, you get out count them, have them move, pull out, get out & count them again.... so tell me, is that a law.. no it was NOT. The handbook is just that, a guide on teaching you the safe way to drive, but not the actual law on everything. The handbook teaches you the basics on how to park, but it is not a law that you do it that exact way, as long as you are in x-amount of inches from the curb. Does the handbook tell you that you cannot have a license plate frame (blocking the County name on your plate) around your license plate? In Charlotte County FL, if you have one, they will ticket you.. hmmm that is not in the FL handbook.. Does the handbook tell you that in FT Myers FL, the residential streets are all 25 miles an hour (and most do not have a posted speed limit sign yet as they changed the speed limit Jan 1st I believe).. no they don't, they tell you all side streets are 30???? so Handbooks are a guide, they are not law...

OMG!!! Thank you so much for this, I am literally ROTF!!! I was waiting for someone to point this out. But, she does work for the government(school dept, I believe) makes me glad my kids were educated in New England.....nuf said.
not on interstates.. do you not get what I am saying.. did you not read all of the statue? I went to college in NY so when you are joking about education, guess NY is a joke too then..didn't come down here till I was 33. read people..I know what part of the post states, I also know what the other part states tooooooo do you? guess it is not me that cannot comprehend what I am reading. I drive these roads everyday, I know what I am talking about! I live here. I see, you do not. so get a life will ya:sad2:

I am so done with the know it alls who do not live in FL and are going to tell me that you cannot drive in the left lanes, that it is against the law.. do your homework then come back here and tell me. :sad1: Those that live here who do not understand it, I suggest you take a second look at the law. The law allows you to drive in the left lane on multi-lane highways (interstates) as a matter of fact, you will be ticketed if you are going too slow in that lane, and I do not mean the under 20 law. Do some research then post. Ask an officer or a traffic judge:rolleyes1

That's 'don't block the box' and really deals with some large intersections in NYC (mostly they have a crossgrid pattern painted). There are signs posted that warn that 'blocking the box' is a fine plus 2 points on your license. You can get the ticket and points even if you go into the intersection on the green - if you're still there when the light turns red.

The entire point is to prevent people from going into the intersection at all if they don't have not only the green, but clearance to get out of the intersection.
The "don't block the box" law exists in many states and cities. The acid test is (although sometimes it is hard to prove) that if there is space beyond the intersection for your car and you are first in line, then you are not in violation even if the light turns red before you get there.

Trivia: Where would you find a set of signs vaguely similar to the following?

left1.jpg

not on interstates.. do you not get what I am saying.. did you not read all of the statue? I went to college in NY so when you are joking about education, guess NY is a joke too then

I read the statue when I'm at a place like the Lincoln Memorial in DC, but it doesn't help me figure out the law. So I guess that NY education didn't do too much for you.

From Websters:
Statue - a three-dimensional representation usually of a person, animal, or mythical being that is produced by sculpturing, modeling, or casting

Statute - a law enacted by the legislative branch of a government

I haven't decided yet whether this is the most entertaining thread I've read in awhile or the most annoying.

few pointers here..
first off, he did not come up behind me going faster.. he followed me into that lane from the middle and tailgated behind me.. totally different case, but not many here are getting what I tried to point out. He had no one in front of him in the middle lane once I moved to the left, he had free roam to speed if he wanted to. He choose to move to tailgate me because he felt I went in front of him from the right lane..

as far as entering the intersection on a yellow or turning yellow are two different animals too.. You have the correct rule of thumb. If it is yellow, and you can stop safely, that is the law, that is what you do. If it is turning yellow while you are in the intersection, you proceed through it. If it is yellow as you are entering it, and you can safely stop, but you do not & it turns red.. while an officer see's you, it is their option to ticket you for running a red light. They witnessed you making the decision to enter that intersection knowing that you could have stopped safely... :goodvibes some here are not seeing how this law works... I don't understand why either... yes, you can get a ticket for "running" a yellow light.. and that is how.. :goodvibes

I did not quote you in that post, because I was speaking in general to people who are saying they have the right to sit in that lane no matter what is going on around them. In your position, I would probably have jumped back right again if he was tailgating me, but then, I am deathly afraid of being tailgated. I'm all about getting where I'm going alive, and that means getting out of the way of aggressive drivers.

The handbook doesn't give you the law, they teach you the basics. I know in my handbook from NY way back in the early 70's they said when you are backing out of a driveway, and their are children playing, you get out count them, have them move, pull out, get out & count them again.... so tell me, is that a law.. no it was NOT. The handbook is just that, a guide on teaching you the safe way to drive, but not the actual law on everything. The handbook teaches you the basics on how to park, but it is not a law that you do it that exact way, as long as you are in x-amount of inches from the curb. Does the handbook tell you that you cannot have a license plate frame (blocking the County name on your plate) around your license plate? In Charlotte County FL, if you have one, they will ticket you.. hmmm that is not in the FL handbook.. Does the handbook tell you that in FT Myers FL, the residential streets are all 25 miles an hour (and most do not have a posted speed limit sign yet as they changed the speed limit Jan 1st I believe).. no they don't, they tell you all side streets are 30???? so Handbooks are a guide, they are not law...

Like I said, recommendation vs law. never said the handbook was the law. Sometimes people should just use common sense. Everything can't be legislated. And by the way, I think that idea about counting the children is a great recommendation. It might not be the law, but it sure could save a few lives.

I am so done with the know it alls who do not live in FL and are going to tell me that you cannot drive in the left lanes, that it is against the law.. do your homework then come back here and tell me. :sad1: Those that live here who do not understand it, I suggest you take a second look at the law. The law allows you to drive in the left lane on multi-lane highways (interstates) as a matter of fact, you will be ticketed if you are going too slow in that lane, and I do not mean the under 20 law. Do some research then post. Ask an officer or a traffic judge:rolleyes1

From the current edition of the Florida's driver handbook:
This driver’s handbook provides some basic information you will need to be a safe driver and understand Florida’s traffic laws and regulations.
This knowledge, along with driving experience and your sense of responsibility while driving can help protect you, your family, your friends and
other highway users

Regardless of the law, common sense, basic driving knowledge and the Florida's handbook suggests using the left lane for passing. Is it currently a law. Maybe not. Why not? Sometimes the roads are so congested that faster moving traffic stays in the left lane.

You're in the middle lane and a car behind you wants to pass. Let him pass you on the left. Don't go to the left lane before he gets a chance. Just rude. Unsafe and possibly illegal as per the Florida's handbook.

He had no one in front of him in the middle lane once I moved to the left

There was absolutely no reason for you to be in the left lane. Clearly you weren't passing anyone. Clearly the road wasn't so congested driving in the left lane was necessary for traffic flow. You were able to switch to the left lane before the car got a chance to pass you. Maybe before he put his turn signal on, maybe not.

A Mickey Fan said:

I went back and reread the post that started all this:
A Mickey Fan said:
I was in the right lane and saw an opening for the middle lane but I couldn't see both of the car's headlights so I didn't move over yet, but did have my blinker on. Once I saw both headlights in my rear mirror I moved. The left lane was clear so I moved again. The Blue Toyota Rav 4 must have been upset with me because I went in front of him, so he moved over and tailgated me. When I say tailgated, I mean he was on my freaking bumper!
And it struck me - given that the OP provides so much detail, it's odd that some information is missing or seems inaccurate. There's no mention of using a blinker to enter I*-4, and unless my memory is faulty (always possible) AND Google Maps is showing me what I want to see and not the truth, I*-4 is four lanes in that area - not the three for which the OP's description of her actions account :confused3

So in addition to her either not reporting her action when merging into the highway... er, interstate - or, worse, breaking the law by not using her directional to notify drivers with the right-of-way of her desire to merge safely, she also appears to have deleted a lane from I-4 between the SeaWorld on ramp and the Epcut exit!!!!

*I for Interstate ;) although I'm not sure what the big deal is about an interstate highway, especially one entirely in the state. Florida has four, total. Little, itty-bitty Massachusetts, in comparison, has sixteen.

I do live in FL, in Orlando, as a matter of fact. The left lane is for passing and that does not mean passing time or passing gas or passing glances at the folks passing you on the right and maybe giving you dirty looks or worse. Obviously it does not apply to those pesky left hand exits, let's use some common sense here, ok? You posted the law yourself at least once. As a matter of fact, you can get a ticket for driving too slow on any interstate in FL. My rule of thumb: If you don't have anyone in front of you and a long line in back of you, you are driving too darn slow and should move over.

The handbook is a guide? Not exactly accurate. From the FL handbook:
"This driver’s handbook provides some basic information you will need to be a safe driver and understand Florida’s traffic laws and regulations.
This knowledge, along with driving experience and your sense of responsibility while driving can help protect you, your family, your friends and
other highway users.
As a Department, we will continue to make doing business with us easier, faster and better. Safe and considerate driving is everyone’s
responsibility and we wish you many years of happy and safe driving.
Clayton Boyd Walden, Director
Division of Motorist Services"
It is full of laws and rules. Perhaps you should read all 62 pages of it. http://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/EnglishDriverHandbook.pdf

I *I for Interstate ;) although I'm not sure what the big deal is about an interstate highway, especially one entirely in the state. Florida has four, total. Little, itty-bitty Massachusetts, in comparison, has sixteen.
Hawaii has three (interstate highways), one ending smack dab in the middle of a military base.

Most of these highways were part of a Federal plan for a "national system of defense and interstate highways," developed back in the 1950's and federally funded. A few more were added later. They all had to be built to certain uniform standards which were higher than most state highways of the time.

Some portions were deleted. One such was I-95 through the center of Boston. For a long time there was a gap in I-95 proper between Woburn and Dedham until a portion of state route 128 (the former technology corridor going around the horn to the west) was re-designated I-95.

My issue is, the OP keeps stressing (for those of us who must not know?) that "I satnds for interstate" - which appears to actually have little, if any, importance in the actual incident or discussion. More accurate and informative may have been that it's a limited access highway.

I'd still like to know why this excellent and experienced driver didn't use her directional when merging into the highway, and what happened to that fourth lane. Oh, and I'm also not clear on where, exactly, she saw the other driver's headlights. In her rear view mirror seated in her natural/normal driving position, great; any other way - straining to see in the rear view, using a side view mirror, craning her head left? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter