Fl Laws of the road....maybe a sticky should go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I think you are being extraordinarily nitpicky about this point. The state of Florida uses the mnemonic of wipers on headlights. It's even In the literature if some rental companies. It's a mnemonic to help people remember that the law is lights on when raining. Since when it's raining it's near 100% certain your wipers are on its not a bad mnemonic. The op was simply trying to let out of state people know that some laws are different in Florida. That's not a bad thing and there is no need to split hairs about it. A sticky to help travelers not break the law seems appropriate to me.
It's not a bad mnemonic, but it's not the law. If there's a light drizzle and you don't need your wipers (look at the OP's post about her DS(?)), you still need your lights. When others tried to correct her(?), she argued it.

She also included that the left lane is available for travel... not true.

Not allowed to enter an intersection on a yellow light... not true.

right/left on red I'd say is common through most states, as is stopping for a pedestrian in crosswalk.

The "move over" law is a good one to note. I know my state has it, I don't know how many states that's in. Is it worth a sticky? I don't think so. I think sticky's should be reserved to answer common questions people have. Keep in mind, most people don't read stickies.

I got mine from the Fl Statues.. I agree, I would hope they are giving the new learners the correct info.. check my link if you think I gave you a bogus link.. the clue word is "immediate" there. I have friends who have gotten tickets for going on it. As I said, in my County, they have shortened some of the yellows and people are upset because they feel it is causing more harm than good. Once that yellow comes either they are speeding up or slamming on their brakes. If the light has a camera attached, they slam on the brakes, if it doesn't, they speed up... I find myself slamming on my brakes if no one is behind me. If there are others behind me, I go thru it and get ready to fight it if they ticket me... :confused3 what else can I do.. you are in a no win situation here.. I agree, and I did not believe it myself.

The best is when you crack your windshield and it is raining.. :eek: My son got a crack in the windshield a few years ago. He was going to get it fixed, the day it happened... he was driving and it started to drizzle. He could not put on the wipers, but it wasn't raining so he figured he was OK. He got pulled over and got a ticket for no wipers on!!!!:headache: yes, no wipers on got him a ticket.. he happened to be at a traffic light next to an officer.. then when the officer saw the windshield was cracked, he gave him one for that.. He explained he was on his way to get it repaired, and it had just happened that day... they did not care. he got the windshield fixed, so that was just the $7 warning fine, but the wipers ticket remained. I cannot speak for Orlando, but my county can be a stickler when it comes to things...
I know someone who was pulled over for 2 miles over the limit in a school zone.. now I am in full agreement, do not speed in school zones.. but how can you tell on your speedometer that you are 2 miles over? I personally always go under what I should in the school zones, but really, how can you tell 2 miles on your speedometer???? mine has a line for the 5 and the 10 markings .. that is it.. no singles :confused:

You cannot tell if you are two miles over with most speedometers, however, if it is OVER the line on the 20 or the 25 then you are going too fast. Seems pretty simple to me. Drizzle requires wipers, even on the intermittent setting. Drizzle equals rain, put on your wipers!!! Not sure why he could not put on his wipers, but, I am sure he had a good reason.

It's not a bad mnemonic, but it's not the law. If there's a light drizzle and you don't need your wipers (look at the OP's post about her DS(?)), you still need your lights. When others tried to correct her(?), she argued it.

She also included that the left lane is available for travel... not true.

Not allowed to enter an intersection on a yellow light... not true.

right/left on red I'd say is common through most states, as is stopping for a pedestrian in crosswalk.

The "move over" law is a good one to note. I know my state has it, I don't know how many states that's in. Is it worth a sticky? I don't think so. I think sticky's should be reserved to answer common questions people have. Keep in mind, most people don't read stickies.

Actually many places list verbage such as:

"•Florida law requires that you turn on you headlights at dusk, in fog, or in rain. Be especially careful while driving during or after rainfall. Slippery road conditions could cause you to lose control of your vehicle. "

(In this case I quoted a Florida driving guide, but as others have pointed out it is also posted on rental agreements)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100604160330AA710uV

2010 version
(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;

(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.

(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_316-217

316.217 When lighted lamps are required.—(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;
(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.
(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316.html

So I can clearly see where the op would think it was a law.

Mine has tick marks between every 5, so yes, you can tell if you're going 67 or 68, and I think most I've driven do - I don't remember seeing without.

However, as above, the way to tell if you're 2 miles over is... if you're over the line at all.

Getting back to the original suggestion for a "sticky" regarding Florida driving laws.

It seems completely unnecessary to me. The laws and practices in Florida seem consistent with those in the rest of the United States. States base their state driving laws on the Uniform Vehicle Code, and Florida is no exception.

There's nothing unusual about driving in Florida. There are no "gotchas" that Florida uses to give extract fines from tourists. All it takes to drive in Florida is a combination of paying attention to highway signs, using common sense, and being courteous to others on road.

Have the "cashless" tolls been implemented in Orlando, yet? I know the highways down in Miami are all speedpass/cashless, now. I'd heard Orlando was going that way, too....just wondering if the change over is complete (or will be complete in the near future...say by December?).

No and probably not. For information, go to www.sunpass.com

So I can clearly see where the op would think it was a law.
I have no doubt the OP thought "windshield wipers = headlights" was the law. However, it's not, and when presented with that fact, she tried to argue it. Why not just say "it's easy to remember... if you need your windshield wipers, you need your headlights".

The same thing happened with other false "laws" she posted. Again, IMO, the "move over law" might be one some aren't familiar with, but is one law worth a sticky?

I know someone who was pulled over for 2 miles over the limit in a school zone.. now I am in full agreement, do not speed in school zones.. but how can you tell on your speedometer that you are 2 miles over? I personally always go under what I should in the school zones, but really, how can you tell 2 miles on your speedometer???? mine has a line for the 5 and the 10 markings .. that is it.. no singles :confused:

You go to court and fight it.

There are 3 possible ways the LEO got that reading: Radar, Lidar, or copycat.

None of those methods is accurate to 2 mph.

Assuming a flat road, clear conditions, accurate targeting and recent/correct calibration (and if any of those are not present, the accuracy suffers):

Radar's accuracy is typically +_ 5 mph. In other words, it can be dead on accurate or as much as 5 to 10 mph "off" in any one direction. This can range from interference issues to cosine errors. This, FYI, is where the ubiquitous +- 7 rule comes from.

Lidar's accuracy is typically +-3 mph. While it's accurate far more frequently than radar when used correctly, pan errors and environmental reflections (or erroneous bounces off your wing mirrors) can lead to refraction read errors. Also, it's a LOT harder to get a correct/accurate reading with Lidar unless you're stationary, have calibrated it correctly, and are using the stock to steady it.

Copycat: As you point out, not all speedometers have single digits. In addition, your speedometer is not accurate, anyway (or likely isn't). It's likely accurate within 2 to 3 mph (unless you've had an engine changed out, and the mechanic didn't recalibrate)...though it could be off by as much as 5 mph. The LEO's speedometer, most likely, is off by a similar amount. If you're being copycatted...you could show a speed of 20 mph (but be doing 22) and the LEO could be doing 22..but his speedometer is showing 24.

Frankly, I think you are being extraordinarily nitpicky about this point. The state of Florida uses the mnemonic of wipers on headlights. It's even In the literature if some rental companies. It's a mnemonic to help people remember that the law is lights on when raining. Since when it's raining it's near 100% certain your wipers are on its not a bad mnemonic. The op was simply trying to let out of state people know that some laws are different in Florida. That's not a bad thing and there is no need to split hairs about it. A sticky to help travelers not break the law seems appropriate to me.
Driving laws are no different in Florida than in the vast majority of the other states. I am not being nitpicky. Something was stated as a law, I found otherwise.

Have the "cashless" tolls been implemented in Orlando, yet? I know the highways down in Miami are all speedpass/cashless, now. I'd heard Orlando was going that way, too....just wondering if the change over is complete (or will be complete in the near future...say by December?).
Nope. I doubt you will see it happen soon. I drive from Sanford to WDW and then on to Tampa area...I have yet to see a cashless tollbooth. There have always been tollbooths for those of us without the sunpasses. If, and when, they all become cashless, then I will plan accordingly.

Getting back to the original suggestion for a "sticky" regarding Florida driving laws.

It seems completely unnecessary to me. The laws and practices in Florida seem consistent with those in the rest of the United States. States base their state driving laws on the Uniform Vehicle Code, and Florida is no exception.

There's nothing unusual about driving in Florida. There are no "gotchas" that Florida uses to give extract fines from tourists. All it takes to drive in Florida is a combination of paying attention to highway signs, using common sense, and being courteous to others on road.
Well, I'm glad someone had the same thought process I did.

I have no doubt the OP thought "windshield wipers = headlights" was the law. However, it's not, and when presented with that fact, she tried to argue it. Why not just say "it's easy to remember... if you need your windshield wipers, you need your headlights".

The same thing happened with other false "laws" she posted. Again, IMO, the "move over law" might be one some aren't familiar with, but is one law worth a sticky?

I guess we are reading something different, the statue I see says ANY rain=headlights.

Maybe that is why there should be a sticky. Since not everyone has time to look up the statues.

Thanks gmeh1 and goofy4tink!

I thought I'd read that the cashless booths were not coming until late 2013 (and maybe beyond that) to Orlando...but this thread, and it's traffic law questions, made we wonder (again).

I've bookmarked the sunpass site so I can keep an eye on things!

Dear God people...headlights are headlights. Windshield wipers are windshield wipers. If it's dark, foggy, smokey or raining, turn on your headlights.
If it's raining (or any type of precip falling on your windshield) turn on your windshield wipers.
If it's raining and you are supposed to have your headlights on, then turn 'em on, and one would imagine that if it's raining, you're smart enough to turn on your wipers as well. Why do we need a rule or a law to tell us to do that???

Enough is enough.:confused3:headache:

There is no need for a sticky!!! Not going to happen. For the love of God...we have enough stickies..and no one reads the ones we have.:scared:

Whether legal or not, the left lane is for passing, not cruising. Everyone should know that.

According to my BIL in Texas, cars on the interstate must yield to oncoming traffic.

I have not read past this post, so it may have already been addressed, but traffic merging from an on ramp must yield to oncoming traffic.

For those that think I am crazy or do not know what I am talking about when it comes to the Yellow lights, think again please. I have to admit, when I first moved here I didn't think it was true either, but it is... so you may want to think it over twice when you enter an intersection on a solid yellow light.. .. you can get a ticket if an officer sees you.. I know people that it has happened to! So in other words, once that yellow turns red, and you are in that intersection, you ran the red light.. they don't care that it was yellow when you started.. see what I am saying.. it was your warning that it will immediately turn red. Some yellow lights are very very short! In fact, they have shortened the yellows to get to the reds faster in the last few years in my County. Many have been fighting it stating that it is causing more accidents by stopping short.

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statute...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.075.html

(b) Steady yellow indication.—
1. Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection.

A highway patrolman in Florida explained this to me that the basic rule is that you better not be speeding up through a yellow light. If you are slowing down, you're ok.

This is not in any rule book per say, but in NY when someone flashed their lights at you in the opposite direction, that meant that police were up ahead. Do that down here in FL and it could end up 2 ways..

You can get a ticket (it is being fought to throw those tickets out)

or...

You can flash the wrong person and they may think it is a "gang" sign.. yep, that is what the word on the streets are down by me..

So a word of caution, don't flash your lights for any reason to on coming traffic.

FL Legislature just (well a few weeks ago) passed a law that says you cannot be ticketed for 'warning' about a police officer. The gang sign is an urban myth.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

While technically against the law, we use the emergency flashers while driving during Florida's heavy summer afternoon thunderstorms when it's impossible for you to see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you without them and the vehicle behind can't see you either without them. It's also very unsafe to pull to the side of the road so this is the only choice we have. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for it.

As for the earlier discussion about yellow lights, you most definitely can enter an intersection on yellow. And if you're in an intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way to clear that intersection before traffic with green is allowed to proceed.

BobK/Orlando

It's foolish to drive with your flashers. If you can't see the car in front of you, pull off the road and then turn on your flashers.

It's foolish to drive with your flashers. If you can't see the car in front of you, pull off the road and then turn on your flashers.
The (rare) times I drive with flashers is because I'm driving extremely slower than normal and I want OTHER drivers to see me. Flashers don't help me at all.

FL Legislature just (well a few weeks ago) passed a law that says you cannot be ticketed for 'warning' about a police officer. The gang sign is an urban myth.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

So they did pass the law that there are no more tickets for that.. and down here, it was not urban myth. I was sent an email @ work (and I work for the government) telling us about it.. I doubt they would fall for a myth. I was only going by what the email sent to me stated.. and like I said, I work for the County.. (School District). :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter