Fl Laws of the road....maybe a sticky should go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a bad mnemonic, but it's not the law. If there's a light drizzle and you don't need your wipers (look at the OP's post about her DS(?)), you still need your lights. When others tried to correct her(?), she argued it.

She also included that the left lane is available for travel... not true.

Not allowed to enter an intersection on a yellow light... not true.

right/left on red I'd say is common through most states, as is stopping for a pedestrian in crosswalk.

The "move over" law is a good one to note. I know my state has it, I don't know how many states that's in. Is it worth a sticky? I don't think so. I think sticky's should be reserved to answer common questions people have. Keep in mind, most people don't read stickies.
Yes look at what I posted.. DS got a ticket for not having wipers ON.. then he was ticketed for having a broken windshield.. which was why he could NOT put his wipers on.. he did have his lights on.. so no ticket there. It boils down to in FL we say, you use your wipers (for rain) you use your lights, simple as that, they are both laws & go hand in hand with rain (not with smoke or fog).
In the State of FL YOU CAN drive in the left lanes on the interstates.. show me the "law" that states you cannot.. in fact, in the State of FL if you are not keeping up with traffic in the left lane, you will be ticketed. I have posted the "law" to the left lane driving.. what more do you want.. blood?

Ask any officer down here, as far as entering the intersection on the yellow.. sure you "can" enter, but if it turns red while you are going through it, you will get a ticket for running the red light.. that is what they mean by not entering the intersection. There is no right of way to clear the intersection on a red light.. red means no go, you run a red light, you run a red light.. simple as that. ... No, she is not arguing when others are trying to correct her, she is trying to show that what others "think" is not true..
So, if you speed but don't get a ticket.. that is ok.. right? the same goes for the clearing the intersection on a red light? If you haven't gotten ticketed for it, then it is OK.. no it is not.. you just have NOT been caught.

The (rare) times I drive with flashers is because I'm driving extremely slower than normal and I want OTHER drivers to see me. Flashers don't help me at all.

and once again, the "rare" times you drive with flashers on, you are lucky that you have not been caught.. again, that is against the law.. but as long as you are not caught doing something, then I suppose it is not breaking the law :confused3 Like the tree that falls in a forest when no one is around to hear it fall, did it really make a sound? So, you aren't breaking any laws (as far as you are concerned) since there are no LEO's to catch you...:sad2:

In Fl people do get tickets for running yellow lights...here is a forum (as I cannot prove to you through those that I know who it happened to) to show you that it does indeed happen.. and no, it doesn't always get dropped..

but again, believe what you want, because if it hasn't happened to you or someone you know, that means it cannot happen in some eyes I guess popcorn::

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/water-cooler/134662-fail-stop-amber-light.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.flhsmv.gov/handbooks/EnglishDriverHandbook.pdf
For those that would rather use the FL Drivers Handbook as opposed to the Fl Statues.. here is the blurb about lights there..

Red
Come to a complete stop at the marked stop line or before moving into the crosswalk or intersection. At most intersections,
after stopping, you may turn right on red if the way is clear. Some intersections display a "NO TURN ON RED" sign, which
you must obey. Left turns on a red light from a one-way street into a one-way street are also allowed. Anyone convicted of
running a red light is required to complete a basic driver improvement course.

Yellow
Stop if you can safely do so. The light will soon be red.

Green
Go - but only if the intersection is clear. Yield to pedestrians and vehicles still in the intersection. If turning left, wait for a gap
in oncoming traffic to complete the turn. If you turn left or right, yield to pedestrians crossing in the crosswalk that you turn into.

Now I know my eyes do give me problems sometimes but I sure do read the words STOP if you can there... don't you all? doesn't that tell you to stop? It is up to LEO if they see you going through it.. if they felt you could have stopped and did not, you can and will get a ticket. If you want to fight it in court, you can try.. but please don't belittle me and tell me I am wrong.. I know how to read and I know what I am talking about... like I said, some here have the mentality that since it hasn't happened to them, it cannot happen.. or if they have just never been caught, well then it must not be against the law.. :rolleyes1

and while I'm at it, here, read this too from the handbook... INTERSTATE ("I" in I-4 stands for interstate by the way if anyone hasn't realized that :rolleyes1)

5.27 - Traffic Lanes
Always drive on the right side of a two-lane highway except when passing. If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the
right lanes except when overtaking and passing. Left lanes on some interstate roads are reserved for car pool vehicles with two or more
occupants in the car - watch for diamond signs in the median.
The center lane of a three-lane or five-lane highway is used only for turning left.

I would also like to add to the fact that many many roads, I-4 being one of them, have exits on the LEFT.. if you cannot drive in the left lanes, how do you propose you get to your exit? That is not listed in the book of rules now is it.. aha.. it is because you can drive in the left lane, it is not against the law.. if it were, there would be no left exits. think logically people..

So they did pass the law that there are no more tickets for that.. and down here, it was not urban myth. I was sent an email @ work (and I work for the government) telling us about it.. I doubt they would fall for a myth. I was only going by what the email sent to me stated.. and like I said, I work for the County.. (School District). :confused3
That is the funniest thing I have read on the internet in a LONG time.

It boils down to in FL we say, you use your wipers (for rain) you use your lights, simple as that, they are both laws & go hand in hand with rain (not with smoke or fog).
Yes, I have agreed "wipers on = headlights on" is a good way to remember to turn on your lights. But you can't show where that is the law. I'd also like you to show in the law where it says you must use windshield wipers. I've used Rain-X in the past. Short of a downpour, I didn't need to use wipers.
In the State of FL YOU CAN drive in the left lanes on the interstates.. show me the "law" that states you cannot.. in fact, in the State of FL if you are not keeping up with traffic in the left lane, you will be ticketed. I have posted the "law" to the left lane driving.. what more do you want.. blood?
How about from the Florida Drivers' Handbook? It's under the 'Expressway Driving Section'
Drive in the right lane and pass on the left. If there are three lanes, use the right lane for lower speed driving, the left for passing. If you stay in the right lane, watch for cars entering the expressway. Adjust your speed or move into the center lane so they can enter safely.
Does that suffice for you?
and once again, the "rare" times you drive with flashers on, you are lucky that you have not been caught.. again, that is against the law.. but as long as you are not caught doing something, then I suppose it is not breaking the law :confused3 Like the tree that falls in a forest when no one is around to hear it fall, did it really make a sound? So, you aren't breaking any laws (as far as you are concerned) since there are no LEO's to catch you...:sad2:
How about this...
Use the four-way emergency flashers for times when you are driving very slowly
From: http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en/2/5Got anything that actually says different?

Yellow
Stop if you can safely do so. The light will soon be red.

Now I know my eyes do give me problems sometimes but I sure do read the words STOP if you can there... don't you all? doesn't that tell you to stop? It is up to LEO if they see you going through it.. if they felt you could have stopped and did not, you can and will get a ticket. If you want to fight it in court, you can try.. but please don't belittle me and tell me I am wrong.. I know how to read and I know what I am talking about... like I said, some here have the mentality that since it hasn't happened to them, it cannot happen.. or if they have just never been caught, well then it must not be against the law.. :rolleyes1
But what the law says does not mean what you think it does. According to you, if you are in the middle of the intersection (have not cleared it) when the light is yellow, it will be a ticket. But the law says to stop if you SAFELY can. If you are 20-30 ft away going 45 mph, you can NOT stop safely. So you will be in the middle of the light when it goes yellow. Yes, it's a judgement call.

and while I'm at it, here, read this too from the handbook... INTERSTATE ("I" in I-4 stands for interstate by the way if anyone hasn't realized that :rolleyes1)
You're talking about others belittling you and you come out with this statement? Who has denied 'I' stands for interstate?

5.27 - Traffic Lanes
Always drive on the right side of a two-lane highway except when passing. If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the
right lanes except when overtaking and passing. Left lanes on some interstate roads are reserved for car pool vehicles with two or more
The center lane of a three-lane or five-lane highway is used only for turning left.

I would also like to add to the fact that many many roads, I-4 being one of them, have exits on the LEFT.. if you cannot drive in the left lanes, how do you propose you get to your exit? That is not listed in the book of rules now is it.. aha.. it is because you can drive in the left lane, it is not against the law.. if it were, there would be no left exits. think logically people..
umm, the section you quoted ONLY talks about interstates regarding HOV lanes. It doesn't say anything about "cruising" in the left lanes.

This entire thread seems pointless. The rules of the road across North America are all very similar. I'm from Canada and I've driven all over Canada and the United States and I've NEVER driven in a State or City that I was like 'Oh man, I dont know how to drive here, what the hell is going on?!!?'.

Don't Speed, Don't Drive Like an Idiot. Everything will be just fine.

In Fl people do get tickets for running yellow lights...here is a forum (as I cannot prove to you through those that I know who it happened to) to show you that it does indeed happen.. and no, it doesn't always get dropped..

but again, believe what you want, because if it hasn't happened to you or someone you know, that means it cannot happen in some eyes I guess popcorn::

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/water-cooler/134662-fail-stop-amber-light.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You might want to work on your own reading comprehension as the poster in the forum you posted is from Toronto, which has absolutely nothing to do with any law in Florida.

And if you need further proof about traffic light violations, here's a simple explanation from a town in south Florida.

http://www.hialeahfl.gov/Announcements_files/Hialeah_Red_Light_Program_English.pdf

Of course this is probably futile, as you'll change it around to fit your wrong argument.

This entire thread seems pointless. The rules of the road across North America are all very similar. I'm from Canada and I've driven all over Canada and the United States and I've NEVER driven in a State or City that I was like 'Oh man, I dont know how to drive here, what the hell is going on?!!?'.

Don't Speed, Don't Drive Like an Idiot. Everything will be just fine.

The best thing I've read on this thread:thumbsup2

but again, believe what you want, because if it hasn't happened to you or someone you know, that means it cannot happen in some eyes I guess popcorn::~~~~~

Red
Come to a complete stop at the marked stop line or before moving into the crosswalk or intersection. At most intersections,
after stopping, you may turn right on red if the way is clear. Some intersections display a "NO TURN ON RED" sign, which
you must obey. Left turns on a red light from a one-way street into a one-way street are also allowed. Anyone convicted of
running a red light is required to complete a basic driver improvement course.

Green
Go - but only if the intersection is clear. Yield to pedestrians and vehicles still in the intersection. If turning left, wait for a gap
in oncoming traffic to complete the turn. If you turn left or right, yield to pedestrians crossing in the crosswalk that you turn into.

5.27 - Traffic Lanes

Ok, let's try AGAIN.

From one of your original posts -

5.27 - Traffic Lanes
right lanes except when overtaking and passing
Left lanes on some interstate roads are reserved for car pool vehicles with two or more
occupants in the car - watch for diamond signs in the median. The center lane of a three-lane or five-lane highway is used only for turning left. ........can you tell me where it says that you cannot drive in the left lane on the interstate? I was on I-4, I means Interstate.. completely legal to be driving in that left lane! Read all of what it states, this is not a 2 lane highway, but an interstate! I know my roads, and know my rules.

I don't know how you don't see that, right there, but it's right there telling you that the left lane(s) are for passing, and you're to stay in the right lane(s) when driving.

Ask any officer down here, as far as entering the intersection on the yellow.. sure you "can" enter, but if it turns red while you are going through it, you will get a ticket for running the red light.. that is what they mean by not entering the intersection. There is no right of way to clear the intersection on a red light.. red means no go, you run a red light, you run a red light.. simple as that.

I think you reading too much into this 'yield right of way' thing and somehow think they are saying its legal. I think it means if someone is running the light in front you, even though you have a green light, get out of the idiots way and don't make things worse. :goodvibes

Also watch out for the cop chasing the guy too.

I work a transportation company and the rule/guide is to wait a second or two to make sure you don't have someone running the light t-boning you.

ETA: Should have read what was posted just a few posts up.

http://www.hialeahfl.gov/Announcements_files/Hialeah_Red_Light_Program_English.pdf

It does seem that a red light infraction starts at the intersection not in the box of the intersection. Though don't do this in NYC I have heard of "Don't get caught in the box"

It does seem that a red light infraction starts at the intersection not in the box of the intersection. Though don't do this in NYC I have heard of "Don't get caught in the box"

That's 'don't block the box' and really deals with some large intersections in NYC (mostly they have a crossgrid pattern painted). There are signs posted that warn that 'blocking the box' is a fine plus 2 points on your license. You can get the ticket and points even if you go into the intersection on the green - if you're still there when the light turns red.

The entire point is to prevent people from going into the intersection at all if they don't have not only the green, but clearance to get out of the intersection.

Traffic is such in some areas that it can take multiple light cycles to be able to get across, so the idea is to punish people who go into the intersection just because the light is green, and then get stuck, and then traffic can't move any which way. You're not supposed to go into the intersection unless you see you can get out of it. Even if you go into it on a green, in heavy traffic, if you can't get out of it by the time it turns red, you can get a ticket.

So they did pass the law that there are no more tickets for that.. and down here, it was not urban myth. I was sent an email @ work (and I work for the government) telling us about it.. I doubt they would fall for a myth. I was only going by what the email sent to me stated.. and like I said, I work for the County.. (School District). :confused3

It is a myth, sent to many about different areas of the country. There are many myths about gangs and all are proven false. check out this link. http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/dalton.asp Considering the current state of the government's mentality, I am not at all surprised that someone fell for it.
BTW, microsoft won't pay you to forward emails, the heart association is not donating money to any cause, pepsi has not partnered with Microsoft to pay you to forward emails.....just a FYI should you get one of those emails. :)

Ok, let's try AGAIN.

From one of your original posts -

I don't know how you don't see that, right there, but it's right there telling you that the left lane(s) are for passing, and you're to stay in the right lane(s) when driving.

OMG!!! Thank you so much for this, I am literally ROTF!!! I was waiting for someone to point this out. But, she does work for the government(school dept, I believe) makes me glad my kids were educated in New England.....nuf said.

A thread listing wrong information on FL traffic laws. I can make a better case for deleting it then for making it a sticky.

Law requiring headlights during rain and move over rules were FL rules before they were law in NY, and other states.

A few years ago such a thread might have had some merit. Traffic laws are pretty uniform. Add me to the list of posters who see no merit in such a thread.

I guess the OP thought she was providing good information. This thread might have gone a different direction if it didn't start with the OP posting rubbish.

Yikes, that's truely scary! I think when it happened to me, the guy with the gun wasn't expecting a 17 year old girl. I really don't think he would have shot me, but his scare tactic certainly worked. He might have been in the wrong, but as you said...how do you argue with a nut case?

I still get angry when people tailgate me. I still have the urge to slam on the breaks. But I always think back to that. I'm a mom and would like to come home to my kids. I just get out of their way and try not to let it bother me.

The best thing that can happen from hitting your brakes like that is to make someone mad. The worst that can happen is that they actually hit you when you're going 65+ mph on a busy highway. It just isn't worth the risk to me. If someone is driving too fast or recklessly, I get the heck out of their way, so they don't put me at risk.

As far as someone staying in the left lane when someone is coming up behind them going faster, I think that is driving unsafely. It's not my job to keep someone from speeding and if you don't get out of the way, they will get into the right lanes trying to pass and that can be more dangerous for everyone involved.

So, I am not supposed to enter the intersection when the light is yellow? How the heck am I supposed to know that the light is about to turn yellow?? Are they going to add an orange light to warn about the impending yellow? My rule is that if the light turns yellow and I can't stop safely, I go ahead through. If I am able to stop, I do. No way to stop if you get a few carlengths away from the light and it turns. Now some people speed up and don't stop when they could, and THAT is a safety issue.

The best thing that can happen from hitting your brakes like that is to make someone mad. The worst that can happen is that they actually hit you when you're going 65+ mph on a busy highway. It just isn't worth the risk to me. If someone is driving too fast or recklessly, I get the heck out of their way, so they don't put me at risk.

As far as someone staying in the left lane when someone is coming up behind them going faster, I think that is driving unsafely. It's not my job to keep someone from speeding and if you don't get out of the way, they will get into the right lanes trying to pass and that can be more dangerous for everyone involved.

So, I am not supposed to enter the intersection when the light is yellow? How the heck am I supposed to know that the light is about to turn yellow?? Are they going to add an orange light to warn about the impending yellow? My rule is that if the light turns yellow and I can't stop safely, I go ahead through. If I am able to stop, I do. No way to stop if you get a few carlengths away from the light and it turns. Now some people speed up and don't stop when they could, and THAT is a safety issue.
And this is why I don't just take off when the signal turns green!! I've almost been rammed several times by someone figuring they had plenty of time to get through the intersection before the other light turned green!! I have actually sat there, watched the other light turn yellow and see a car speed through just as it turned red. Now, that light had been yellow for about 10 secs, so an approaching car had plenty of time to see it and stop. If I hadn't been paying attention, and then just drove off as my light turned green??? Mushed.

And this is why I don't just take off when the signal turns green!! I've almost been rammed several times by someone figuring they had plenty of time to get through the intersection before the other light turned green!! I have actually sat there, watched the other light turn yellow and see a car speed through just as it turned red. Now, that light had been yellow for about 10 secs, so an approaching car had plenty of time to see it and stop. If I hadn't been paying attention, and then just drove off as my light turned green??? Mushed.

Yeah, me too. I always look both ways before moving when the light turns yellow. You just never know. As much as I HATE getting stopped when I'm in a hurry, I try to think of how much later(and maybe deader) I'd be if I had an accident flying through the light.

Might be your brother? [/George Carlin]

http://www.jupiterlegaladvocates.com/2012/03/2851/

Regarding if there is a Law (vs. common sense) using the left lane, this article seems to indicate that the left lane is not reserved for passing only.

The proposal requires an operator of a motor vehicle to yield the left lane when being overtaken on a multilane highway. (i.e. you can be in the left lane- just get out of the way if faster traffic approaches).

It boils down to just common sense, which a lot of drivers don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter