• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fixed Week 51 Studio for CCV - Worth It?

BruinEd03

DIS Veteran
Is it worth it to purchase a fixed week studio for CCV for week 51 (161 points or 34k)? Or should I just buy more points with resale (e.g., 200)? We may eventually want to start booking 1BR.

We wouldn't necessarily go every year for Christmas, but it is nice to have that option maybe every 3-4 years or so. Week 50 is 118 points, but we wouldn't get Christmas, and it is really hard to take that time off right before Christmas.

Looking at the point charts for 2018 - 2022, the points for week 51 would be:

2018: 167
2019: 158
2020: 140
2021: 133
2022: 138

I dont know - if you eventually want to move into a one bedroom - i might pass on a fixed week for a studio.
I only book one bedrooms, i booked one for Thanksgiving week - and if you look at availability right now - the one bedroom and cabin are the only ones that STILL have consecutive days available (friday after thanksgiving to sunday for the 1bdrm). I have never had an issue booking for that week - and it's super busy.

As you already know, the decision is mainly between 1) easier to book 1BR + 2x sq footage + full kitchen + washer/dryer versus 2) 1BR cost more MF year after year. How happy are you with studios and going without 1BR's amenities? How easy/hard is it for you to consistently get week 51 off? Is CCV a requirement every trip?

I dont know - if you eventually want to move into a one bedroom - i might pass on a fixed week for a studio.
I only book one bedrooms, i booked one for Thanksgiving week - and if you look at availability right now - the one bedroom and cabin are the only ones that STILL have consecutive days available (friday after thanksgiving to sunday for the 1bdrm). I have never had an issue booking for that week - and it's super busy.

Don't know if we want to move into a one bedroom. It's just a maybe at this point. We've only stayed in studios so far (and it's been fine so far), but man the tour of the 1BR sure look nice.

As you already know, the decision is mainly between 1) easier to book 1BR + 2x sq footage + full kitchen + washer/dryer versus 2) 1BR cost more MF year after year. How happy are you with studios and going without 1BR's amenities? How easy/hard is it for you to consistently get week 51 off? Is CCV a requirement every trip?

We're happy with studios so far. My company has the week between Christmas and New Years off, and I can usually use vacation days beforehand as we have a use it or lose it policy. So week 51 is easy to get off, much easier than week 50 (unless I want to return to work or have a really long break - which may occur every few years). Also, if we ever have kids, then I'm sure kids will have school off during Week 51. I'm not dead set on Sunday through Sunday, either.

The value of a fixed week comes from security a hard-to-get reservation that you want to use every year, or at least most years. It sounds like that's not the case for you.

Alternatively, a fixed week also makes sense if the cost of the week has risen beyond the initial purchase price in points plus the 10% premium. That appears not to be the case - in fact it's not even close.

If you know you want to go to CCV most years during that week, a fixed week makes some sense - you will be fighting to book a studio there under normal circumstances because they book right at the 11 month mark. However, I'm not sure it makes sense in your situation. You've indicated you won't use it every year, it doesn't make up the premium, and you're already considering a different accommodation.

Not to mention, $34k for something you won't utilize to its fullest is an awful lot of money. A quick glance at various resale sites suggests that amount of money will get you around 200 points at CCV (or more). That's already enough to begin booking 1brs. Those are easier to book, as well (but they still go fast at that time of year).

Everything points to resale being a better buy.

The value of a fixed week comes from security a hard-to-get reservation that you want to use every year, or at least most years. It sounds like that's not the case for you.

Alternatively, a fixed week also makes sense if the cost of the week has risen beyond the initial purchase price in points plus the 10% premium. That appears not to be the case - in fact it's not even close.

If you know you want to go to CCV most years during that week, a fixed week makes some sense - you will be fighting to book a studio there under normal circumstances because they book right at the 11 month mark. However, I'm not sure it makes sense in your situation. You've indicated you won't use it every year, it doesn't make up the premium, and you're already considering a different accommodation.

Not to mention, $34k for something you won't utilize to its fullest is an awful lot of money. A quick glance at various resale sites suggests that amount of money will get you around 200 points at CCV (or more). That's already enough to begin booking 1brs. Those are easier to book, as well (but they still go fast at that time of year).

Everything points to resale being a better buy.

Can you even book those dates? I’ve been looking so far in December and all of the rooms for CCV have been booked at the 8 am EST mark. Only waitlists are available. Does it get better for the second half of December? We do want to go at least some years.

The month of December is a time when having a fixed week can really pay off. However, it does constrain you in several ways. You get a studio (as you said). You have fixed dates. You must go Sunday to Sunday (7 nights). We like going in December to VGF but it is getting more and more difficult to get a studio then. If we had it to do over, we would get a fixed week. But you can also Not use your fixed week and get the points premium back for that year.

Another option for you would be to get a fixed week for a 1BR. It's a simple matter of money, right?

There were several fixed weeks sold for the Grand Villas at VGF for Christmas Week. That's some serious cash.

By the way, we own a fixed week at VGF for July 4. We bought it resale, and we got it cheap. We have never used the fixed week feature. We have never even gone to Disney in July. But December would be another story.

Can you even book those dates? I’ve been looking so far in December and all of the rooms for CCV have been booked at the 8 am EST mark. Only waitlists are available. Does it get better for the second half of December? We do want to go at least some years.

Booking improves slightly in the second half of December because points costs go up, but it's still very difficult. Do not plan on getting a CCV studio unless you walk it. A 1br is a little better but they still go fast.

Late December 2021 has yet to open, but early December is exhibiting the same patterns. Everything is almost completely booked except for cabins. However, there's a glut of points in the system, so it's hard to say if this will keep up. I, for example, usually book only studios, but I booked a 2br for this December because I have both banked and current year points.

IMO, if CCV was the place I wanted to be at least some of the years In December, then fixed week is the only thing I would do,

On years you don’t want it, you cancel and get 167 points to try and book the 1 bedroom or elsewhere at 7 months.

However, on the years you do, it’s booked, no stress, and done. Yes, you are paying extra for it, but even every few years, it may be worth it,

You might also find that you love it and start going more often.

The month of December is a time when having a fixed week can really pay off. However, it does constrain you in several ways. You get a studio (as you said). You have fixed dates. You must go Sunday to Sunday (7 nights). We like going in December to VGF but it is getting more and more difficult to get a studio then. If we had it to do over, we would get a fixed week. But you can also Not use your fixed week and get the points premium back for that year.

Another option for you would be to get a fixed week for a 1BR. It's a simple matter of money, right?

There were several fixed weeks sold for the Grand Villas at VGF for Christmas Week. That's some serious cash.

By the way, we own a fixed week at VGF for July 4. We bought it resale, and we got it cheap. We have never used the fixed week feature. We have never even gone to Disney in July. But December would be another story.

Yeah, I wish on the 1BR fixed week. That's 312 pts, or 58k! :)

IMO, if CCV was the place I wanted to be at least some of the years In December, then fixed week is the only thing I would do,

On years you don’t want it, you cancel and get 167 points to try and book the 1 bedroom or elsewhere at 7 months.

However, on the years you do, it’s booked, no stress, and done. Yes, you are paying extra for it, but even every few years, it may be worth it,

You might also find that you love it and start going more often.

Oh we love it. But we also love going on Merry Time Christmas Cruises.

If you are thinking 1 bedrooms I would not buy the fixed week. I have had good luck booking one bedrooms in that time frame. Put the money into resale for more points for the 1 bedroom.

We've stayed in plenty of deluxe studios over the years, but last December, we splurged and tried out a 1BR for the first time. Best and worse decision of our lives.
Best because the extra space, amenities, full kitchen, and dedicated washer and dryer were just plain awesome to have.
Worst because none of us want to stay in a deluxe studio anymore. We ended up purchasing more points!

Are you planning to use your points for cruises? If so, keep doing research - that's a very poor use of expensive DVC points.

No, we will not be using points for cruises. We already own at another resort so we’ve done research in that regard.

If you are planning studios, get it. If not, then no. As another poster said, it's automatically booked for you. If you decide not to go, cancel it and you get the points for it that you can use elsewhere (or bank).

If you are planning studios, get it. If not, then no. As another poster said, it's automatically booked for you. If you decide not to go, cancel it and you get the points for it that you can use elsewhere (or bank).
Just found this thread and wanted to ask a slightly different question. Studios at CCV are pretty difficult to get a lot of the year. We stayed in one in 2019 and it was pretty small as compared to Yacht Club we have just moved from. So, I wouldn‘t want the fixed in a studio most years. BUT, if i was going to purchase 150 or so points anyway, I could get the fixed week and bank the points then use every other year in 1BR. If you don’t use the fixed week, you still get the points. So really you are just buying points and those are yours whether you use the week or not. And if you want to use that fixed week in any year, there’s no stress about trying to get through MS or website to book.

So other than cost difference (direct vs. resale), what am I missing?

Just found this thread and wanted to ask a slightly different question. Studios at CCV are pretty difficult to get a lot of the year. We stayed in one in 2019 and it was pretty small as compared to Yacht Club we have just moved from. So, I wouldn‘t want the fixed in a studio most years. BUT, if i was going to purchase 150 or so points anyway, I could get the fixed week and bank the points then use every other year in 1BR. If you don’t use the fixed week, you still get the points. So really you are just buying points and those are yours whether you use the week or not. And if you want to use that fixed week in any year, there’s no stress about trying to get through MS or website to book.

So other than cost difference (direct vs. resale), what am I missing?

Not missing anything. Buying the FW simply ensures that whenever you want to go that week, there is no worry to book.

You do pay a 10% premium of the cost of the room. However, since those amounts were established, the point charts have seen some adjustments so some fixed weeks have gone up in point cost which means that 10% premium isn’t still 10%.

Overall, for anyone who thinks going on a 7 day trip occasionally during the FW is in their future, it can sure work out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter