Fish Extenders?

The little fish (or seahorse, or starfish) is attached to the wall with 2 little metal posts about 1/2" long at it's base. Once you loop the string (or yarn, or whatever) from your FE over it just run the zip tie through the handle and around one of the little posts.

Be sure you have something that can reach in there to cut the zip tie at the end of the cruise, as there's not much clearance for scissors (or something like that).
Are the zip ties so that the FE holder you hung doesn't get stolen? First time cruiser here! FE is still kinda overwhelming me!

After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric (two colors – one yard each)
Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem
1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard
Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think that’s all. I’ve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joann’s Fabrics.

Here's the picture again of the final result.
DSC02144.jpg
Thanks!

Ok, I'm still confused as to how the FE works....
I received the list for my cruise and I'm in group 2... What does that mean? Do I only get gifts together for the group 2 people? Do we give the treats once during our cruise? Or everyday? Which day if it's just one during the trip? Any info is truly appreciated!

Ok, I'm still confused as to how the FE works....
I received the list for my cruise and I'm in group 2... What does that mean? Do I only get gifts together for the group 2 people? Do we give the treats once during our cruise? Or everyday? Which day if it's just one during the trip? Any info is truly appreciated!
Each FE group sets it's own "rules". You should ask on your FE group thread what the "rules" are.

Typically, you will only give and receive gifts to/from those people on your list (group 2). Some people (very giving people) give gifts to all participants on their cruise (regardless of what group they are in).

As to "how many" - Some groups give gifts one per person (adult or child). Others give one gift for all adults in the room and individual ones for each child. Others give one gift per room (for everyone in the room). Generally, if there is no specification as to "how many" it's up to you what you want to do.

Some FE groups assign specific delivery days to everyone. Others just so "do it when you wish".

So, we can't really answer your question perfectly here, you need to go back to your group and ask.

Each FE group sets it's own "rules". You should ask on your FE group thread what the "rules" are.

Typically, you will only give and receive gifts to/from those people on your list (group 2). Some people (very giving people) give gifts to all participants on their cruise (regardless of what group they are in).

As to "how many" - Some groups give gifts one per person (adult or child). Others give one gift for all adults in the room and individual ones for each child. Others give one gift per room (for everyone in the room). Generally, if there is no specification as to "how many" it's up to you what you want to do.

Some FE groups assign specific delivery days to everyone. Others just so "do it when you wish".

So, we can't really answer your question perfectly here, you need to go back to your group and ask.
Ok! Thank you so much!!

Sailing on the Disney Dream on Jan 25th. It was a last min thing, but would like to know if there is room for my family to take part on the Fish Extenders?

would love to participate in the fish exchange on Sept 23 2016 would love to join please help
Fish Extenders are handled on your Cruise Meet thread. If your group decides they want to have a FE group. Not all cruises do. Especially the short Dream cruises. Most of the time it's because they have a larger number of first time cruisers who feel they don't know how to handle it.

A little primer on FEs:
WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER?
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish:
fish holder wonder 2012 1408 100_7536.JPG

Once a cruise meet thread is up an running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know to put together the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. This is basically an organizer-type hanging bag with separate pockets for each person in the room:
door magnets 4 wonder oct 2011 256 100_3589 1500.jpg

They also make up gifts (either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise.

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

HOW IS A FE GROUP ORGANIZED?
Setting up FE group

There's really no "rules" as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone maintains the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/favorite character/favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

At some point the list will "close". Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will either post the list (usually via a conversation is best, as that's more private), or directly on the Cruise Meet thread, to confirm everyone on it is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about "anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped" at this time.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a "pixie dust" list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their "final" list. Be sure the "pixie dust" list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others.

The other "biggie" is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how find that other site here on DISboards.

Now, armed with this information, you can head over to your specific Cruise Meet thread and see if anyone's interested in setting one up.

My Family and I will be sailing on Oct 17th 2016 and we would love to join a fish extenders club. We will be sailing on the Dream. If anyone can give me any info if any group is open I would really appreciate it. :)

If you go to the cruise meets forum and check out the DVC members cruise, those folks should be able to help you as they are using them.

oh wait......here's a picture from somenone's DVC cruise last year, so at least you'll know what you are asking about:

SSMC05door.jpg

It comes from someone who sells them on e-bay, I believe.

Thank you for posting this detailed information, now I have a better idea on Fish Extenders,
I can't wait for my Disney a Cruise!!!

After several requests I have finally gotten around to writing the directions to how I did it. What I did is very similar to the directions on earlier posts so those provided great guidance.

Supplies:

Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.
2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.
3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.
4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.
5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.
6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.
7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.
9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.
10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.
11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think that’s all. I’ve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joann’s Fabrics.

DSC02144.jpg

Thank you for posting this detailed information, now I have a better idea on Fish Extenders,
I can't wait for my Disney a Cruise!!!

Supplies:

Double fold bias tape
Dowell Rod
Iron-On Patches
Various Colors of Ribbon

DSC02144.jpg

Thanks so much for all of this helpful info!

Are people still doing FE's?? :confused3 This thread has been quiet and I'm trying to start planning our next trip!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter