Fish Extenders 101...Can someone educate me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you, I should now be at 10 posts, I am looking for a page that describes what the fe groups do! I know they leave little gifts but was looking for more specific info!

Is there a thread/post somewhere on what kinds of gifts people give for the FE groups. Also, how much? Just one gift per family, or a gift for each family member?

Sorry, I'm a newbie & trying to navigate the forums to learn as much as I can.

I suggest you use the search button at the top of the threads page for more info.
What I have to offer is: it's up to you how much you want to spend and what you give. Some groups get very specific in their "requirements" for their groups, most do not. Some people give one gift to the whole cabin, others to each person. We are in-between. We give a cabin gift and a separate gift to each kid. Last time I gave a gift bag with stickie notes, a pencil and sharpener, paper clips, rubber bands, stickers and Seattle Chocolates (we're from the Puget Sound Area) and something else little. Each kid got a toy or book or something more appropriate for a teen-ager. It didn't cost a lot, but I think people liked it.

So just what exactly is a “fish” and just why does it need “extending”? Well… The “fish” is a combination wall decoration/ornament and message clip that is attached to the wall outside every cabin on the Magic & Wonder. The CMs (that’s “Cast Members” for the newbies) use them to leave messages, official forms or invitations for the occupants of the cabin as needed. It’s kind of like a glorified fridge-magnet and it looks like this: (click on the image to enlarge)

A “Fish Extender” is any thing that you care to hang on the fish. Literally anything will qualify, but in general, they are usually some type pocket organizer similar to a shoe caddy or mail organizer. They can be as simple as a canvass bag or as complex as your imagination cares to stretch. Here are a couple from our last cruise: (click to enlarge)

We’re are not very good with a needle and thread, so we engineered ours out of a couple of small cotton bags, a Disney themed bandana and some chain from a light fixture and ended up with this variation on the idea: (click to enlarge)

So, what’s it for? Well… It’s become a kind of “Secret Santa” game played by the folks who roam the DIS Boards. The idea is that every DIS Member who is on the same cruise will go around the ship and leave a little “nick-nack” or “whats-it” in the pouches for the other members that are playing along. The generally agreed rules are that you give out gifts to each participant once per cruise, and that the gifts should be very inexpensive trinkets that either fit a cruise or holiday theme and/or show off a little taste of who you are or the place that you call home. Here’s a link to a continuing thread on the boards that discusses the subject at length:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1219607

Thank you for posting this detailed information, now I have a better idea on Fish Extenders,
I can't wait for my Disney a Cruise!!!

So just what exactly is a “fish” and just why does it need “extending”? Well… The “fish” is a combination wall decoration/ornament and message clip that is attached to the wall outside every cabin on the Magic & Wonder. The CMs (that’s “Cast Members” for the newbies) use them to leave messages, official forms or invitations for the occupants of the cabin as needed. It’s kind of like a glorified fridge-magnet and it looks like this: (click on the image to enlarge)

A “Fish Extender” is any thing that you care to hang on the fish. Literally anything will qualify, but in general, they are usually some type pocket organizer similar to a shoe caddy or mail organizer. They can be as simple as a canvass bag or as complex as your imagination cares to stretch. Here are a couple from our last cruise: (click to enlarge)

We’re are not very good with a needle and thread, so we engineered ours out of a couple of small cotton bags, a Disney themed bandana and some chain from a light fixture and ended up with this variation on the idea: (click to enlarge)

So, what’s it for? Well… It’s become a kind of “Secret Santa” game played by the folks who roam the DIS Boards. The idea is that every DIS Member who is on the same cruise will go around the ship and leave a little “nick-nack” or “whats-it” in the pouches for the other members that are playing along. The generally agreed rules are that you give out gifts to each participant once per cruise, and that the gifts should be very inexpensive trinkets that either fit a cruise or holiday theme and/or show off a little taste of who you are or the place that you call home. Here’s a link to a continuing thread on the boards that discusses the subject at length:

Thank you for posting this detailed information, now I have a better idea on Fish Extenders,
I can't wait for my Disney a Cruise!!!

Thank you for the visuals!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter