First time on Wonder- what deck?

Junebug1029

Mouseketeer
We are either getting a veranda room to fit our family of 5 or 2 ocean view staterooms. I was looking at deck 2, but I was watching a video and it looked like the water was really close to the window. The fear of getting caught in a storm is always in the back of my mind and worried that if we were, our window would go under water. I watched a storm video of a cruise ship and this is what happened. Maybe this is a ridiculous worry.

Never been on the Wonder, so I was wondering what deck and part of the deck do you prefer or avoid? My biggest concern is noise and don’t really mind if things are further away.

Thanks in advance for your help!
June

My favourite spot on the Wonder is deck 7 aft. It’s a quiet area, with only staterooms above and below, and it’s only a quick hop up to the drink station on deck 9.

Aby

The Disney Wonder is our favorite with two Alaska, one Member's west coast and a Panama Canal cruises. We like deck 7 and 8 with veranda. Nice BIG view of the water and land. Deck 2 is a nice view of the water, up close.

We like deck seven, because there are staterooms both above and below so it tends to be quiet. However, I don’t think there’s any category 4 staterooms on that deck. Also love deck 2, and yes it is possible that water will reach your porthole. It will not be a situation where the ship is sitting that low in the water, rather if the seas a little rough, water will splash up onto the windows. I really enjoy looking at the window when the seas are like that, but if it makes you nervous you should definitely choose a higher deck.

We had cabin 2072 on our Alaskan cruise and really like it. Close to elevator and was really quiet. We also had 2592 and didn't like it, very loud banging noises at night. I think it is under a kitchen, so avoid that area. We did see dolphins swimming by the ship, jumping in and out of the water one day from our window, so that was really cool to be so close to the water line. We've also had deck 2 cabins on the Magic and Fantasy and have never had the water line come up to our window.

We've had no issues of water at our window on deck 2. Remember there are also rooms on deck 1 which are also well above the water line with 2 small portholes. We've stayed in 2116 on the Wonder and 2108 on the Magic. No issues with noise in either room. Very convenient to aft stairs/elevator in both rooms and laundry down the hall across from room 2096. While you are closer to the water on deck 2, you are well above the water line.

Here's a picture of the outside of the Magic In Tallinn, Europe. The lifeboats are level with deck 5, the deck 4 promenade is under the lifeboats. The big windows below that are deck 3. Next level of windows is deck 2, then deck 1 windows, which are still pretty far above the red paint/water line.

We were on Deck 2 for a Panama Canal Cruise, and never felt like the water was that close to the window. Maybe a bit of splash at times, but nothing crazy. (we also didn't experience any major storms).

We like Deck 6, if that meets any of your cabin criteria, as it is in between most of the activities--- a few levels up for Cabanas and the pool deck, and a few levels down for main dining, etc. For us, that's pretty convenient.

If you are caught in a storm, I can't imagine it getting so bad that the water level will rise 10-20 feet to put you 'under water', and even if in the unlikely event it does happen... you don't have to look at it :) Close the curtains or leave your room and go to a different deck, go to the movies and wait till the storm is over.

I've been on Deck 2 for 3 cruises (fingers crossed we'll get put on deck 2 again for our upcoming cruise). Two of those cruises have had pretty rough sees and never did I worry about water getting up over the window. Did it splash up? Yeah, a little bit, occasionally, but we were nowhere near the water line. Several times we were below the dock when we docked (though above when we left because the tide came in).

Depending on where you are on deck 2 (forward was worse, I think), it can get a little noisy during docking and at port (they can be loading below) but it was always times when I was awake so it was never much of a bother.

We've had no issues of water at our window on deck 2. Remember there are also rooms on deck 1 which are also well above the water line with 2 small portholes. We've stayed in 2116 on the Wonder and 2108 on the Magic. No issues with noise in either room. Very convenient to aft stairs/elevator in both rooms and laundry down the hall across from room 2096. While you are closer to the water on deck 2, you are well above the water line.

Here's a picture of the outside of the Magic In Tallinn, Europe. The lifeboats are level with deck 5, the deck 4 promenade is under the lifeboats. The big windows below that are deck 3. Next level of windows is deck 2, then deck 1 windows, which are still pretty far above the red paint/water line.

View attachment 441901
This picture was especially helpful to put things into perspective. Thank you!

We were on Deck 2 in extremely rough seas this past February. all fellow cruisers and crew we talked to said it was the worst they had ever experienced and everyone was stumbling around the first night. Waves still stayed far below our windows and it was fine.

We were on Deck 2 in extremely rough seas this past February. all fellow cruisers and crew we talked to said it was the worst they had ever experienced and everyone was stumbling around the first night. Waves still stayed far below our windows and it was fine.
I am so sorry to hear that oh had rough seas! Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Super helpful!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how is deck 6 above the kids clubs? Can you hear them below you? I have a surprise Baja cruise planned for just my wife and me in 2021, but she is a rather light sleeper. We are booked in 6076 currently.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how is deck 6 above the kids clubs? Can you hear them below you? I have a surprise Baja cruise planned for just my wife and me in 2021, but she is a rather light sleeper. We are booked in 6076 currently.
We have not sailed on the Wonder, but we have sailed twice on the Magic. Both times have been on deck 6, in rooms 6636 and 6136. I know those are further back then 6076, but we didn't hear anything from the kids clubs or the BV Theatre. We like deck 6 since we are 3 up and 3 down from everything.

Psy

We were in 6076 on the Magic, and didn't hear any noise. We've also been in a nearby cabin on the Wonder, and didn't hear any noise there, either.

We are either getting a veranda room to fit our family of 5 or 2 ocean view staterooms. I was looking at deck 2, but I was watching a video and it looked like the water was really close to the window. The fear of getting caught in a storm is always in the back of my mind and worried that if we were, our window would go under water. I watched a storm video of a cruise ship and this is what happened. Maybe this is a ridiculous worry.

Never been on the Wonder, so I was wondering what deck and part of the deck do you prefer or avoid? My biggest concern is noise and don’t really mind if things are further away.

Thanks in advance for your help!
June
Was just on the Magic (which is Wonder's twin) on Deck 1, and our portholes were pretty high above the water, I'd say at least 8 feet. They also have really heavy-duty metal shutters that can be closed by DCL staff, I assume should there be issues with water coming up that high, but it seems really unlikely. I was on a Royal Caribbean ship, deck 2 (which is their lowest deck, equivalent to Deck 1 on DCL) and the waves were so bad I felt sure I was going to be thrown from my bed (seriously) but even in those crazy seas water was not coming up above our porthole.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how is deck 6 above the kids clubs? Can you hear them below you?

We were in 6082 on the Wonder in 2017. We did not hear a single sound from the kids club below and I would not hesitate to stay in that area again. Also loved that it was easy to walk up to cabanas or down to the theater and dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!