First time cruising out of Galveston…

NAB

<font color=green>That first page just got too hea
Trying to decide on hotel ?

Plus really trying to figure out how to get to the port? DLC only goes from the port from the airport? So do we get hotel close and go back to airport?

Flying into Bush not Hobby the day before. Don’t want to rent a car either.

Also read some other thread that say you can get expensive hotel close to port but we don’t want to walk with luggage either.

Our cruise is January 6-13 on the Magic. Will be flying in a day before and stay one day after.

We booked hotel and transfers via DCL, and we're picked up and taken to our hotel pre-cruise and back to the airport by DCL after the cruise. Easy and cheap! We stayed at the Hilton and I think it was just fine for what we needed.

We booked hotel and transfers via DCL, and we're picked up and taken to our hotel pre-cruise and back to the airport by DCL after the cruise. Easy and cheap! We stayed at the Hilton and I think it was just fine for what we needed.
So DCL is taking you from the airport to the Hilton then Hilton to the Port?

Is the Hilton in Houston or Galveston?

That sounds nice and easy .

So DCL takes you from the airport to the Hilton. Then in the AM they had a transfer to the port, but we elected to stay later and took an Uber to the port. The Hilton is in Galveston. It was very easy!

So DCL takes you from the airport to the Hilton. Then in the AM they had a transfer to the port, but we elected to stay later and took an Uber to the port. The Hilton is in Galveston. It was very easy!
Thanks so much going to look into it.

Trying to decide on hotel ?

Plus really trying to figure out how to get to the port? DLC only goes from the port from the airport? So do we get hotel close and go back to airport?

Flying into Bush not Hobby the day before. Don’t want to rent a car either.

Also read some other thread that say you can get expensive hotel close to port but we don’t want to walk with luggage either.

Our cruise is January 6-13 on the Magic. Will be flying in a day before and stay one day after.
Hmm. Depends on #people, arrival time, and your choice of hotels (the Marriot is AT the airport, plus another half-dozen really close.) Ship doesnt even board until 10:30am'ish at the earliest, so imo, there's plenty of time for a post peak-hour drive.

As you know, GBush(IAH) is on the northside of Houston and IF traffic cooperates, it's 1:20 or more to/from the Galveston Port Terminal. $120~$200 for a Lyft or car service incl. gratuity, ymmv. Note that the smaller Lyft/Uber vehicles won't fit 4+ people w luggage.

Not sure what DCL transfer from/to airport costs, but my experience is that they are convenient for 2 people, break-even with 3 people, and not such a great deal for 4 or more.

Long way of saying, if it was me+2, we'd fly in the pm before; stay at our choice of hotel near IAH, then take a LyftXL the next morning (we all wake early). Going back we might do DCLTranspo to IAH as the convenience is good (or if 4+, arrange for a car service).

Either way, you will have fun!

Reactions: NAB
Thanks for the help we are a party of 2 and flying in the day before.

We haven’t been on the Magic in 9 years . It was so routine going out of PC that we were a bit lost…lol

We took our first DCL cruise out of Galveston last December. Since we were visiting family in Houston, we used Galveston Express from Hobby (they also shuttle from IAH). I can’t help with hotels since we stayed with our son’s family in Houston.

Thanks for the help we are a party of 2 and flying in the day before.

We haven’t been on the Magic in 9 years . It was so routine going out of PC that we were a bit lost…lol
I get it. And we like our routines too.

We love the Magic, and our last two have been out of NYC, which is ridiculously close.

Still, this IAH <-> Galveston connection isnt any worse than MCO <-> PCnvl.
And they are both terrific airports with lots of connections.

Galveston is a very historic old city if you have the time to tour.

Thanks for your help. We will have an extra day after the cruise so hope to see some of it.

I heard it could be foggy in this port, that is why we are flying in the day before and have an extra day at the end.

Glad to be able to see my thread and posts again…lol

Last edited:
We're within driving distance to Galveston, but, if we weren't, I'd get on a shuttle to Galveston after landing at IAH and stay on the island the night before and the day after. It has more character than the area around IAH. 😄

For our recent cruise, we stayed at The Galvez, which is beautiful and enjoyed a delicious meal at Gaido's on the Seawall. You could easily Uber to dinner and then to the cruise terminal the next morning. Or stay at the Tremont House in The Strand, and walk to the nearby sights and dinner, then still take an even shorter Uber to the cruise terminal.

Does anyone know how hard it will be to get an Uber from the airport to Galveston? It’s just 2 of us .

We have only used an Uber once and waited a long time for someone to pick us , we were scared wouldn’t get one.

Does anyone know how hard it will be to get an Uber from the airport to Galveston? It’s just 2 of us .

We have only used an Uber once and waited a long time for someone to pick us , we were scared wouldn’t get one.
Not sure but it would probably be pricey. I’d book a shuttle instead.

Not sure but it would probably be pricey. I’d book a shuttle instead.
Like private car? What shuttle would someone suggest?

I believe we are taking DCL back to the airport the morning we get off the ship even though we are staying another day just so we know we will get back to Houston and not figure out where to go that morning or try to find a car service at the port.

Another vote for the Hotel Galvez. We've stayed there twice before cruising out of Galveston and loved it. They have a shuttle to the port that is very convenient. The hotel breakfast was very good and the location by the seawall was great.

I have always been curious about sailing out of Galveston. So the best airport to fly into is IAH?
Then shuttle/uber/rent car to Galveston hotel near port? Thanks for your help

I have always been curious about sailing out of Galveston. So the best airport to fly into is IAH?
The only reason we are flying into this one instead of Hobby is our airline flies into Bush non stop. Hobby is closer to Galveston I believe.

Husband didn’t want to change planes. He is afraid we would lose luggage or miss the connection.

Hobby is closer to Galveston than IAH, but IAH is bigger and most flights to Houston on Southwest go to Hobby. So "best" is relative. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!