First time buyer help please!

mhilldj88

Earning My Ears
Toured several DVC rooms last week and was in love with Riviera and was ready to buy in at the 125 minimum for blue card. After investigation I am leaning toward SSR for the renovated rooms and lower price per point. Thinking about buying 125 direct for blue card and 75-100 resale. This will be about the same amount of money as buying in direct at Riviera with just 125 points. Is this what you would do? What are your thoughts on SSR?

For many people, the Blue Card isn't worth it at all, and for many people DVC in general isn't a good fit. We do not know if that is your family or not.

This is a five figure decision, so you need to know what you value and the math in your own situation.

I own quite a bit of SSR, and I've never even been there. Depending on when/how your family vacations, you may or may not be able to use SSR points efficiently.

We make it down every year to year and a half. When with kids it’s usually during the summer and we just returned from there this past week on an adults only trip. We plan on returning in a year for Marathon weekend but would also like to bring kids back closer to summer next year. SSR seems to be the best value of points and will allow me to purchase more points that will help if we bring additional family and want a 2-3 bedroom unit.

Would like to buy some points direct that way we can stay at Riviera if we want because we did like that resort.

I have lots of family that loves SSR especially because of it's location to DS. And the room refurbs are great both in look and in replacing the sofa bed with the murphy/sofa combo. It also has the bonus of lower initial purchase price and some of the lowest dues that have remained that way. It also has a benefit over Riviera in the situation if you did have to sell. The new buyers would still have access to trade into 14 resorts. A resale buyer will have only Riviera for the option to use their points and it has made for a larger difference in retail to resale than was typically seen for previous resorts. As more start selling it's very likely to increase that spread IMO.

Whatever you decide, make sure it's where you want to stay. Yes, SSR is a good value per point, but if you're going into it with the notion of using these points for other resorts at the 7 month mark, it can be difficult at times.

Also how is the bus service at SSR being such a large resort?

Ask that question of any resort and you'll here the same thing. It's bad. Or it's good. Or it's fine. :)

It has multiple stops so if you're at the first you'll ride around the resort but it's otherwise dedicated so then you head straight to the park you're going to and it's centrally located. We've found it to be as good as anywhere else.

You should buy at the resort where you want to stay, that's the best way of guaranteeing your room. Riviera is popular so the availability at 7 months maybe limited especially at peak times.
We have SSR and the bus service is okay, short trip to MK, Epcot and HS, great for DS.

I don’t have a preferred resort necessarily but would like to experience different ones each visit, how is availability on other resorts at the 7 month window usually. We aren’t ever going to be there on extremely busy weeks like thanksgiving and Christmas.

I don’t have a preferred resort necessarily but would like to experience different ones each visit, how is availability on other resorts at the 7 month window usually. We aren’t ever going to be there on extremely busy weeks like thanksgiving and Christmas.

The last 3 months of the year it's not great. DVC busy times for booking don't necessarily align with hotel busy times, holidays etc. When do you usually travel?

And if you're plan is to try and stay at different resorts then owning the most economical makes a lot of sense especially if it's a location you like will be happy staying at if you can't move. Flexibility when you go also makes 7 month bookings more likely.

Keep in mind when buying there are those who only use value as a purchase point. I haven't seen it yet but the common mantra is "buy where you want to stay" so when looking at value put that at the top of your list.
The travel dates for those who say they have never stayed at their resort may travel at times that aren't busy and your date may not allow for that.
The choice you make in the end using other peoples opinions to guide a decision is fine but don't buy based on those opinions alone either. Resale or direct at the end of the day the only one who will be the recipient of that decision will be YOU. So choose wisely!

Is this what you would do?

My recommendation, which most on these boards would agree with, is for you to purchase resale first. I fully acknowledge and understand the lure of having a blue card, but at the same time the price difference is significant enough that it's best to dip your toes first with resale before making the direct plunge. You may find that you don't need to buy direct. If you still want to, then it will always be just a simple phone call away. Remember, if the aim is to have one UY, it's always easier and less stressful to get your resale first and then easily match your UY with direct.

You mention that you would like direct because you want to be able to stay at Riviera, but then want to experience a different one each visit-- with 10 WDW properties you can use your (non-RIV) resale points at, it will take you much longer than you think to get to them all. You may end up finding another property you love just as much as RIV. If you want to move forward and spend the extra $$$ because of FOMO for 1 current property, then ensure you've thought that through thoroughly.

What are your thoughts on SSR?

First off, everyone vacations differently and to each their own. Every DVC resort has its pros and cons. Most see SSR as Sleep Around Points, and I don't disagree with that logic.

Besides the obvious things like renovated rooms and proximity to Disney Springs, SSR (and OKW) are me and my wife's favorite resorts because they're different in design than the other DVC resorts on property. To us, this is a big factor. Again, to each their own and these are our opinions.
  • SSR and OKW are more of a traditional timeshare layout that is more of a sprawling complex of buildings as opposed to a being a single building with a single corridor that feels more like a hotel. While my wife and I have enjoyed short stays at other properties, we prefer SSR and OKW as the separation of buildings makes things a bit more quiet and relaxing. At the other resorts, you could have a lot of foot traffic outside your door depending on where your room is located. At SSR and OKW, the foot traffic outside your villa will be significantly less. Downside: more walking if trying to get somewhere (like back to the lobby, general store or laundry when in a studio)

• Do you often travel with a car? With separated buildings, you can drive right up to your villa, and 99% have no trouble finding a parking space right in front. People often forget this. Long day in the parks and the kids are sleepy/tired? Traveling with elders who can't walk far distances? At SSR and OKW, you park your car and you'll be just steps away from your villa. Game changer.
Of course, if taking the bus, having larger grounds means multiple bus stops before/after your destination, but I really don't care as long as I get onboard. It may add an additional 10 minutes of ride time, but in today's world of smart phones I can easily fill that time.
_____

Best of luck!

Don't forget that if you buy SSR (or any DVC resort other than Riviera) direct, you can only book Riviera at 7 months. By then the standard view studios will be gone, and for some portions of the year, so will the preferred studios. 125 points may not get you what you need at Riviera. Would you & your family be OK with split stays? Some enjoy them. Some do not.

Being able to stay at Riviera is not a deal breaker for us, we would just like the option to stay there at some point. I would be ok with a split stay, my wife not so much, but we have never tried it.

Toured several DVC rooms last week and was in love with Riviera and was ready to buy in at the 125 minimum for blue card. After investigation I am leaning toward SSR for the renovated rooms and lower price per point. Thinking about buying 125 direct for blue card and 75-100 resale. This will be about the same amount of money as buying in direct at Riviera with just 125 points. Is this what you would do? What are your thoughts on SSR?

I used this sort of strategy when I bought. 75AKL direct, and the rest of my almost 500 points have been resale. It got me blue card, and I have plenty of points to spend.

Having said that, if you actually like RIV. Buy direct at Riv. The adjusted price per point with incentives is very attractive. With the recent dues announced, it also isn't as astronomical in annual dues either. It will certainly be more expensive, but you get more perks. It will also be very difficult to stay at a place you really like with only the minimum amount. Possible, but difficult.

All personal choice. Your plan going blue card membership SSR looks great for your vacation planning future. Currently good annual fees too. I started my membership going BCV resale and currently even though higher annual fees than SSR, I’m considering the 125 direct at OKW with the 2057 expiration. Just considering only folks haha. Doing our first DVC trip in May as a split stay to experience that option. Two nights at VGF standard studio then three nights BCV one bedroom.

Keep in mind when buying there are those who only use value as a purchase point. I haven't seen it yet but the common mantra is "buy where you want to stay" so when looking at value put that at the top of your list.
The travel dates for those who say they have never stayed at their resort may travel at times that aren't busy and your date may not allow for that.
The choice you make in the end using other peoples opinions to guide a decision is fine but don't buy based on those opinions alone either. Resale or direct at the end of the day the only one who will be the recipient of that decision will be YOU. So choose wisely!

If you have a location you want to stay then yes, it's probably going to be a better experience for you if you own there. If you want to stay all over then buy the least expensive at a place you're still happy to stay at.

I would recommend first buying resale at SSR for the value of those points and then buying resale at Riviera in the future for the home resort priority to make reservations at 11 months at that resort. Buy only the number of points that you see yourself using at Riviera as you will not be able to use those points at any other resort.

Your SSR points will most likely allow you to get 7 month reservations at AKL, BLT, Poly and at OKW depending upon the season and room type you are looking for. Of course you will also have home resort priority to stay at SSR which is a very nice resort given the resent renovations.

I would not buy resale at Riviera is that was your only contract due to the restrictions. But if you have other points to use at other resorts and look at your Riviera points as points to only use there, I think that is the best of both worlds. Future resort availability without home advantage is always going to be a gamble, but I think it's a risk worth taking given the benefit of owning at more than one resort, especially Riviera.

This forum seems to lean more toward anti-blue card but if it's something that would have value to you and make you happy, then I think your plan is appropriate. But if you really love Riviera then I do agree with those that say buy at where you want to stay. I haven't stayed at Riviera myself yet but I didn't like how it wasn't an option for me with my initial resale purchase. My resale home is SSR, and then I went ahead and added direct SSR points and finally BLT direct to get my 125 blue card. My travel goal is to try different resorts each visit (sleep around points) but I also wanted a monorail resort advantage. Sure, I could have saved a lot more money with resales but I'm happy with my decision. And because I bought resale first, I was able to get everything on the same uy easily and not have to transfer points. And this wasn't a factor until yesterday, but now I can actually use the annual pass discount offer on the blue card as my premier pass got canceled. Buying SSR direct instead of Riviera could be a smart choice if you think your family could use 200 points instead of 125 total you mainly want sap points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter