First cruise: May or December?

Mrsjnt083

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I need some input to help make my choice for our first cruise. We are planning on going in 2021 and possibly renewing our vows for our 20th anniversary. I am torn between May, right after school here gets out and December. I love the idea of a holiday theme cruise, but I’m worried it’ll be too cold to swim and really enjoy CC. This will probably be our only cruise as a family because our oldest will be 17. I’d love some experienced cruisers opinions on these times.
Thank you!

We've cruised in December multiple times. Although sometimes it has been windy and it invariably rains for a little while in the afternoon, it has always been warm enough to enjoy and swim at CC. It may be a bit cool going in, but once you are in it is fine. Even on the cruise where we left Orlando in the 80's and returned to Orlando sitting at freezing. CC was fine.

SW

The weather in May is great, I loved it. I hate cold weather so I personally wouldn’t risk it in Dec. If you look at temps for this past dec the highs ranged from high 60s to low 80s. If I got a low 80s day I’d be fine but some of those lower temps forget it.

Where are you from? If you're a Northerner, pool water and CC will probably feel good. If you're used to warmer weather all year round, you may be too chilly to swim. (I think DCL heats their pools to 84, which is warmer than I will heat the pool in my backyard).

My kid has been in the pool when it's cold on deck and he's never been the only one.

I do have to say, I did expect CC water to be warmer than it was when I was there in November. But it was probably still warmer than middle of the summer beaches up North.

So it's a lot about perspective!

I think these replies reaffirm my gut feeling. I think we will stick with May just so we know the weather will be warm enough. Maybe we can do a December one another time. :)

Where are you from? If you're a Northerner, pool water and CC will probably feel good. If you're used to warmer weather all year round, you may be too chilly to swim. (I think DCL heats their pools to 84, which is warmer than I will heat the pool in my backyard).

My kid has been in the pool when it's cold on deck and he's never been the only one.

I do have to say, I did expect CC water to be warmer than it was when I was there in November. But it was probably still warmer than middle of the summer beaches up North.

So it's a lot about perspective!

We're from Canada and although anything above 70 is kind of nice, we cruise to escape the cold... we've cruised in December and it's not as enjoyable.

I think either is fine. The May cruise may be cheaper than a December cruise as the May cruises don't have the Merrytime premium.

We've been to Castaway Cay three times in late December & early January within the last few years. Each time, the air was very warm, there was no rain, and the water was chilly, but easy to adjust to once you completely submerged yourself in it.

We're Texans and are used to swimming in the cold water springs in our area, so that probably helps, but there was no shortage of other guests swimming on CC and loving it.

We went to CC once in March, and that is about as hot as I'd like to be at CC. We like to ride bikes there & explore the island, and given how hot we experienced it to be in March, I don't think bike rides would be enjoyable there in May. Plus, in winter, you can walk barefoot on the pool deck of the ship without burning your feet. In March, we couldn't do that.

Last edited:
You’ll probably save a lot more money going in December. Plus you’ll get to experience the Christmas decorations and activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!