First big MLB controversy of the year? Angels player grabs fan by the collar and allegedly takes a swipe.

THEY CAN INTERACT TO ANYONE INSIDE THE DUGOUT.
Not according to the rule you posted (bolding mine)... "no team manager/coach or player will interact with a spectator or parent IN or outside of the dugout during the game."
YUP, THE PLAYER AND THE MANAGER. HOW SERIOUS IS LITTLE LEAGUE ABOUT THIS? IN TOURNAMENTS THEY GO SO FAR AS TO ROPE OFF THE AREA BEHIND THE DUGOUTS TO PREVENT OUTSIDES FROM GETTING CLOSE ENOUGH TO INTERACT WITH PLAYERS IN THE DUGOUT AND THEY POST SIGNS WARNING THERE IS TO BE NO INTERACTION ON THE BACK OF THE DUGOUTS. AND ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO INTERACT FROM THE OUTSIDE IS THROWN OUT OF THE STANDS/FACILITY.

EJECTION IS REAL
You're not answering the question. Here's a situation... Jimmy makes a good play to end an inning. As he's running to the dugout a parent (dad, mom, fan, whatever) says "Great play Jimmy!". Jimmy looks up and says "Thanks!". Are you telling me that based on that interaction, the umpire is going to eject Jimmy from the game AND throw the parent out of the facility? This is a yes/no question. I'm not asking whether they CAN, I'm asking if they WILL.
ASK Anthony Rendon. MLB SUSPENDED HIM FOR 5 GAMES......REDUCED TO 4 DAYS AFTER HE PUBLICLY APOLOGIZED FOR REACHING INTO THE STANDS AND SPOKE TO THE FAN PERSONALLY........PLUS AN UNDISCLOSED FINE. RENDON MAKES $157,000 PER GAME SO JUST THE LOST SALARY COST HIM $629,000.
Sigh. Yes, they suspended him for an "altercation with a fan". They did not suspend him for "going into the stands". Semantics? Yes. But that's what this entire back and forth has been about. IN MY OPINION "Going into the stands" does NOT mean "reaching an arm through/around/over a barrier".

Not according to the rule you posted (bolding mine)... "no team manager/coach or player will interact with a spectator or parent IN or outside of the dugout during the game."

You're not answering the question. Here's a situation... Jimmy makes a good play to end an inning. As he's running to the dugout a parent (dad, mom, fan, whatever) says "Great play Jimmy!". Jimmy looks up and says "Thanks!". Are you telling me that based on that interaction, the umpire is going to eject Jimmy from the game AND throw the parent out of the facility? This is a yes/no question. I'm not asking whether they CAN, I'm asking if they WILL.

Sigh. Yes, they suspended him for an "altercation with a fan". They did not suspend him for "going into the stands". Semantics? Yes. But that's what this entire back and forth has been about. IN MY OPINION "Going into the stands" does NOT mean "reaching an arm through/around/over a barrier".
If Jimmy isn't in the dugout, the rule doesn't apply. It's a rule. It's enforced. It has been on the books for decades without issue.

If Jimmy isn't in the dugout, the rule doesn't apply. It's a rule. It's enforced. It has been on the books for decades without issue.
OK, that's not how the rule reads (which is why I said it's poorly written), but carry on.

OK, that's not how the rule reads (which is why I said it's poorly written), but carry on.
Not sure what you are reading into it, but I haven't umpired a game in 18 years so not my problem.
Just like batting donuts are illegal in Little League. Drove some coaches nuts, but in that case, there was a good reason for the rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter