Feeling dumb...pin question

babybeag

Mouseketeer
:guilty: So, I bought 6 pins for DDs from disneydirect. They looked very cute online and they were on sale. Then I bought lanyard thingies at WalMart - blue with white stars, very cute. Well, the pins arrived and they are HUUUGE. But, no biggie, we pinned them on, 3 on each, and now the thing weighs about 10 pounds. My 5 and 2 yo DDs are 42 and 23 pounds respectively and they almost fell over from the weight of them. Then, after dinner, we were walking to the ice cream shop and Sleeping Beauty falls off DD #1's lanyard!! We get the pin and one of the little Mickey head holders but the other is gone.

Now, are these like psycho-pins from some other universe or are ALL the pins like this????? I pictured them being like 1 1/2 by 2 inches or so with one pin holding them - not 2 x3 inches with 2 pins so some of them are on their sides when you attach them!!

Am I completely losing it or what???? :banana: :rotfl: :badpc:

I'm not a big pin collector, but the ones I have are not that big. All of them are like what you thought - 1.5 x 2 or less. They do get heavy, though.

Some are larger than others. My son's always fell off more because he was pulling or picking at them. We bought locking pin backs for him, and this made him very happy. At WDW, I think a dozen were $8.50. They come with the world's tiniest Allen wrench to tighten/loosen them. We only locked on the ones he was sure he wouldn't trade, because it's not fast or convenient to take them off.

-- Eric :earsboy:

You probably have pins that were originally sold on Disney Auctions.
DA pins are large, and heavy. More often than not they seem to be 2 - 3 times the size of regular park pins.
There are extra backs that can be purchased in the parks.
There is even a collection you can buy with various types of backs, which of course also comes with a pin.
Usually the two prong pins stay on better.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............thanks for the insight! Well, at least they were cheapies...I am glad I didnt buy any more!!! lol. I think we will stick these on our bag and maybe buy a few in the park!!!

Thanks!

babybeag said:
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............thanks for the insight! Well, at least they were cheapies...I am glad I didnt buy any more!!! lol. I think we will stick these on our bag and maybe buy a few in the park!!!
Even though the descriptions on DisneyDirect did include the measurements of the pins, I didn't think to get out a ruler and figure it out, so I was also surprised by the size when they arrived. However, these overly large pins are fully tradeable with the CMs at the parks. Take them along, and see if your DDs can find smaller ones they would rather have, and make trades. That's what I'm going to do.

:grouphug:

JoannaOhio said:
Even though the descriptions on DisneyDirect did include the measurements of the pins, I didn't think to get out a ruler and figure it out, so I was also surprised by the size when they arrived. However, these overly large pins are fully tradeable with the CMs at the parks. Take them along, and see if your DDs can find smaller ones they would rather have, and make trades. That's what I'm going to do.

:grouphug:

Totally agree!!! Seeing the measurement sure doesnt make it seem so big - I guess I would have realized if I had looked at a ruler!!! Live and learn right????? Maybe we WILL trade for smaller pins - thanks for the idea!!!! :bounce:

Can someone tell me where I can buy some of the locking backs?? Do any of the Orlando Outlets sell them. I would like to buy some before we go to the parks if possible. Also do you know about how much they cost???

::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo

I've seen the locking backs at a Dinsey Store, the Mickey Head backings do work great. You can also use regular backs, you can usually pick up a pack of 10 or 20 ( I think) at a fabric store.

My DS (now 12) was 10 when he started collecting and now he has too many to put on 1 lanyard. We now store the pins in a Pin Trading waste pack. In the past, he's just kept his pins in his pack and when he wants to trade, he pulls it out of his pack.

This year I made me a Tee Shirt that has all my pins on it. He thought it was cool and he wanted one. Then Granny said she wanted one. This way we won't have to worry about loosing them, or getting stuck at the Metal detectors at the airport. Our pins are being left at home.

I keep an extra lanyard with pins in my backpack. We keep one of the "heavy traders" on her lanyard so she can trade it. Once she trades for something light, we put a new "heavy one" on.

kat6994 said:
I've seen the locking backs at a Dinsey Store, the Mickey Head backings do work great. You can also use regular backs, you can usually pick up a pack of 10 or 20 ( I think) at a fabric store.

My DS (now 12) was 10 when he started collecting and now he has too many to put on 1 lanyard. We now store the pins in a Pin Trading waste pack. In the past, he's just kept his pins in his pack and when he wants to trade, he pulls it out of his pack.

This year I made me a Tee Shirt that has all my pins on it. He thought it was cool and he wanted one. Then Granny said she wanted one. This way we won't have to worry about loosing them, or getting stuck at the Metal detectors at the airport. Our pins are being left at home.

I would love to get more info on the trading Waistpack. That sounds better than the lanyard. Also Can you tell me about the pin trading books I have read about. I am trying to decide what to get for my daughter'c collection. She is so excited this year about Starting a collection of pins. So I would appreciate any and all info on what kind of things are for sale.

Just a little bit of info about the locking backs... they don't always keep your pins safe. I tried them 2 years ago... we would lock the pin on... pull on it and thought it was stuck... and then a few hours later that same pin was gone.
The metal pin backings (non locking) that you get with pins that you purchase else-where... seem to be the best for keeping my pins safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter