*Feed Your Family $10 A Day Challenge*(AT HOME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
to all of you people that doubt that we can feed our familys on 10 per day take a look at TLC show KIDS by the DOZEN
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.14413.55654.32779.x

the family has 13 children(2 are out of the house) the husband makes 40,000 per year and they spend 500 per month on food.= 16.6 per day for 13 children.

yesterday's tv show they had a birth day party with 150 guest and the food came out to be 130= less than 1$ per person

here are some of the tips the wife gave a( and others have said the SAME thing)

she stocks up when ever something is on sale. She knows her top price for an item. She will take a turkey and make meals out of it. :woohoo:

she bought 3 turkeys for 5$ each:banana:

I don't think anyone doubts that a family can be fed for $10 per day. We doubt that a family can be fed a varied, nutritious diet for that price.

I have a family of 4 and this thread has made me look at costs (a good thing). The verdict is that while we can be less than $10 some days. It is not possible to eat quality lean meats and lots of fresh produce for that amount.

I have seen the show, by the way. I was actually troubled by the fact that this party is used to receive gifts and then they feed their guests the cheapest possible food. I wouldn't do that. If I couldn't afford plenty of tasty food for my guests, I would skip the party.

There is no need to add liquid to it. Even without adding any liquid to it, you will have extra chicken broth in the pot when you take the chicken out. Its a dark, rich broth that is really good to use!

The only bad thing about a chicken in the crock-pot, is that its so moist and tender, it falls apart as you are taking it out of the pot, so if you want a chicken to serve whole, you won't get that. Instead you get wonderful falling off the bone chicken.

Thanks. I don't mind if it is falling apart, we usually carve it before putting it on the table anyway (I've only ever made if for my immediate family and not on a holiday, so it doesn't matter how it is served). I love the moist, falling off the bone chicken type. I may have to try this next week.

It comes out moist on it's own but sometimes I add a 1/2 cup of white wine.

We like Emeril's Essence to season it.

That sounds decadent! I'm going to look for a sale on chickens and give it a try!

Anne

Thanks! I've never done a chicken in the crock. What type of seasoning to you use? We like Montreal.

The first one wouldn't fly in my house. The last one, maybe beef, Colby & Jack, rotel, and blackbeans instead of the soup? We're not mushroom eaters.

Anne

We like Emeril's Essence on chicken. We also like just salt, pepper, garlic, and white wine.

I fix the stew meat different ways. Another favorite is to use the stew meat, rotel, and green chilies. Makes a mexican flavored stew that is good with tortillas.

My fav recipe in the crockpot is Salsa Chicken. Put in chicken breasts. Dump salsa on top. Cook for a couple of hours (I think 7 or so on low, 5 or so on high) and shred with a fork.

Just need to watch the liquid content - if it goes too long, it can burn. Just need to add more salsa.

Costco sells a mango/peach salsa that is unbelieveable. I think it's like 6.99 for a HUGE container. DH polished it off within a week, eating it every night with crackers. It is THAT good.

We eat the salsa chicken with multigrain tortillas. This week I just tried Ezekial (sp?) tortillas - made with sprouted grains instead of flour and they are a complete protein. They were $3.00 for 6, so 50 cents each. DD LOVED them, I thought they were a bit chewy. DH eats anything.

I also make brown rice and beans, with garlic, onion, green pepper (if I have some) and some fajita seasoning. Just started using dry beans to make this - tastes better and WAY cheaper than canned. I freeze any extra, one bag yields a huge amount.

The beans and rice is very filling with the chicken and tortillas. Always have lots of leftovers too.

Samantha

That all sounds REALLY good! I'm going to give the salsa chicken a try this weekend!

Anne

My fav recipe in the crockpot is Salsa Chicken. Put in chicken breasts. Dump salsa on top. Cook for a couple of hours (I think 7 or so on low, 5 or so on high) and shred with a fork.

Just need to watch the liquid content - if it goes too long, it can burn. Just need to add more salsa.

Costco sells a mango/peach salsa that is unbelieveable. I think it's like 6.99 for a HUGE container. DH polished it off within a week, eating it every night with crackers. It is THAT good.

We eat the salsa chicken with multigrain tortillas. This week I just tried Ezekial (sp?) tortillas - made with sprouted grains instead of flour and they are a complete protein. They were $3.00 for 6, so 50 cents each. DD LOVED them, I thought they were a bit chewy. DH eats anything.

I also make brown rice and beans, with garlic, onion, green pepper (if I have some) and some fajita seasoning. Just started using dry beans to make this - tastes better and WAY cheaper than canned. I freeze any extra, one bag yields a huge amount.

The beans and rice is very filling with the chicken and tortillas. Always have lots of leftovers too.

Samantha

I also do the salsa chicken in the crockpot. Not only does it taste good, but it is low fat also. I do add a little dijon mustard and brown sugar to the salsa.

I don't think anyone doubts that a family can be fed for $10 per day. We doubt that a family can be fed a varied, nutritious diet for that price.

I have a family of 4 and this thread has made me look at costs (a good thing). The verdict is that while we can be less than $10 some days. It is not possible to eat quality lean meats and lots of fresh produce for that amount.

I have seen the show, by the way. I was actually troubled by the fact that this party is used to receive gifts and then they feed their guests the cheapest possible food. I wouldn't do that. If I couldn't afford plenty of tasty food for my guests, I would skip the party.

I agree, just like those people with 17 kids and the Tater Tot Casserole. While it might be filling it's NOT nutritious. One serving is half the daily sodium max for an adult. There are no vegetables in it. It completely lacks in many nutrients.

Filling and nutritional are very different from each other.

I feed my dog better than some of the meals I've seen posted on this thread. I don't mean that to offend, it's the truth, and that's really scary to me.

And I agree, how greedy-grubby about that party. I would be MORTIFIED to feed my guests like that. I just wouldn't have the party. I was brought up that a party is the time to bring out the good silver and put on a nice spread--that doesn't mean caviar and truffles, but it means quality food in amounts that no one leaves empty, regardless of thier appetite, and people can take as much as they want, as opposed to a pre-plated meal of the lowest quality/cheapest food possible that wouldn't feed the average three year old.

Anne

I have also been given clothes for my kids. I never rely on that. I also give my childrens clothes to other people. I just consider it al blessing..

I am sure that family must qualify for food stamps.. I think they are an example of how to make it work with out assistance:love:

I am sure that family must qualify for food stamps.. I think they are an example of how to make it work with out assistance:love:

Argh! I would hope that they'd have the common decency to NOT apply for food stamps. Purposesly setting out to pop out as many kids as you can is fine, just don't expect everyone else to pay for them.

If it's a religious thing, then let their church take care of them using voluntary church donations, not the taxpayers who don't have a choice.

Anne

today for me:

Breakfast:

1 iced mocha - 4.20
1 lean pockets egg scramble - .50

Lunch

2 hard boiled eggs - .50
whole wheat bagel chips - .70
cheese - 1.00

Snack:

100 cal Keebler cookies - .40

Dinner:

deli sliced ham - 1.00
pasta - 1.50

total: 9.80

today for me:

Breakfast:

1 iced mocha - 4.20
1 lean pockets egg scramble - .50

Lunch

2 hard boiled eggs - .50
whole wheat bagel chips - .70
cheese - 1.00

Snack:

100 cal Keebler cookies - .40

Dinner:

deli sliced ham - 1.00
pasta - 1.50

total: 9.80

Try the Iced Mocha from BK. Its awesome and costs 1/2 the price.

ok what did she feed at this party ? I have not seen the show but for some reason everyone thinks it was not enough ???? I looked up the website but no way to even read about last nights show . Dose this family have a website like the Duggers ?

Try the Iced Mocha from BK. Its awesome and costs 1/2 the price.

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can find one near my office!! I love my iced mocha and it would be great to spend less $$ on it.

ok what did she feed at this party ? I have not seen the show but for some reason everyone thinks it was not enough ???? I looked up the website but no way to even read about last nights show . Dose this family have a website like the Duggers ?

I think she did great!:banana: . .:idea: .. For the birthday party she cooked up turkey and then made b-b-q out of it:love: . She made some sort of bean dish. jello cake for dessert:thumbsup2 . the kids looked normal. :teacher:

I do not care what they say I think she is doing good. God bless her. She home schools them all to:scared1: :lmao:

Frankly it doesn't matter, if it was under $1 per person, there's no way that it was quality "party food" in any quantity.

When I go to a party I don't expect to be fed $.12 hot dogs and $.05 of macaroni salad with $.03 in potato chips and $.02 of Kool-Aid. I expect to be fed real food in real quantities, and there's no way that happened unless she fed them beans and rice or chili or baked ziti (no meat) or cheap hotdogs or something along those lines, and in restricted amounts--which IMHO is not what you feed party guests. The cake alone for 150 people--even made with BOGO mixes or from scratch--would have run $25 to make and frost. That's almost 20% of her budget!

Anne

I think she did great!:banana: . .:idea: .. For the birthday party she cooked up turkey and then made b-b-q out of it:love: . She made some sort of bean dish. jello cake for dessert:thumbsup2 . the kids looked normal. :teacher:

I do not care what they say I think she is doing good. God bless her. She home schools them all to:scared1: :lmao:

I wouldn't feed my party guests a meal like that. I'd be mortified.

ETA, I don't even consider that a meal.

There are plenty of ways to pull of a party on a budget without looking cheap--and IMHO that looks CHEAP. The last "budget" party we had was a pasta party for 25 people. We made HUGE pots of pasta, two or three different types. We had a pot of meatballs and sausages, plus Alfredo and red sauce. We served it with green salad with several dressing choices, and bread. Dessert was a choice of cake, brownies or cookies (it was buffet style.) For drinks we offered iced tea, Sangria, Chardonay, or soda. Total cost per person was probably around $3. Nobody left hungry and it was plenty of choice for everyone.

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter