*Feed Your Family $10 A Day Challenge*(AT HOME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that's it, your pretending to have kids and really have no idea what it is actually like. Our generic cereals aren't even $1 per box, nor is our cheap cheese. Yes, we can get bread for a buck, but we buy whole wheat white, which on sale is $1.90, usually $2.50 a loaf. We used to eat whole wheat, also more expensive, but the kids wouldn't eat even though it was the only bread I had ever fed them. So I gave up and went to whole wheat white by Sara Lee. They eat that!
But I don't buy cheap cheese, cereal, or bread. I buy Borden or Kraft American singles, for about $1 for a pack of 16 slices, and I'll buy bars of Land O Lakes pepper jack cheese or Cracker Barrel for a $1 or so a bar. It's just a matter of waiting for sales and using coupons. Same deal with cereal and bread. Just this weekend I could of gotten six boxes of Cheerios for $7, which would have been $1.16 a box, (for a medium size box.)

I have found deals on cereal for 1$ I walked in to walmart one day and found Spider man and Pirates of the carabian. for 1$ each. I grabbed 12 boxes. Now normally we never eat that type of cereal. It wasa great deal and a great treat:love:
I bought the Pirates cereal when it came out. I wanted the box since it had Johnny Depp on it.

Does anyone have any non dairy lowfat healthy crockpot recipes?

(I can see the responses now- "Uh Jen, that would be water warmed up"):rolleyes1

this comment makes me think that it is unbelievable that someone can eat at work for free. They may work in a restaurant, and some restaurants will provide your meal for free, at the cafeteria at the company where I work (Corporate to manufacturing/distribution medical device envornment), all of the cafeteria employees meals are free. WAY back in the days of my teenage years when I worked at pizza hut, we always were allowed 1 free personal pan pizza made at your choice. A friend of mine works at a local (not chain) restaurant here and they get a meal free (if working that day).

They may also work in a corporate environment like I do where during times like trainings or meetings, a continental to even a hot breakfast buffet is set up. Also lunches are catered in either from the cafeteria or restaurant that delivers if you have a working lunch meeting. Happens here ALL the time. Wen our department has to work a company holiday & everyone else is off, they have pizza delivered for lunch. Also, when people have to work overtime in manufacturing, at times they receive cafeteria gift certificates so their meal is free if it is under $5 (a hot meal entree + 2 sides & a bread is only $4.02 with tax, the cafeteria food is subsidized by the company).

So depending on what the person does for a living, its completely believable that they have their meals provided to them at no charge.
ITA! Out of the three jobs I've had in my life two of them meals were included. Of course the one I'm at now it's not. :guilty:

Here's what I ate today;

Breakfast

Pop Tarts (1 Package - 2 Pastries) 12 cents
Yougurt - 25 cents

Lunch

Salad from Salad Bar - $1.67

Dinner

Frozen Meal w/ Chicken, carrots & potatoes - $2.50

Snacks

Crackers - 10 cents
Fruit Cup - $1
Potato Chips - 75 cents

Drinks

Capri-Sun - 6 cents
Soda - 75 cents

Total - $7.74, so a little more then I usually spend, but I got a soda out of a vending machine, which is costly, and had that frozen dinner, which is also costly. Still under $10. :goodvibes

(I can see the responses now- "Uh Jen, that would be water warmed up"):rolleyes1

Chili made with either very lean ground beef or ground turkey. I use a pound of meat, a pound of dry beans (soak them overnight), and three pounds of tomatoes, add some onion, chili powder, and any other spices you'd like to taste. We had that tonight with Bisquick biscuits--I sprinkle the tops with a little salt before I bake them and they are very tasty. I just barely brown the meat before putting it in the crockpot--just enough to get a good amount of the fat to pour off.

The entire meal costs me about $5 to make, as I grow my own tomatoes in pots, and it's enough for three meals for three adults. Very healthy, loaded with protein, and very low fat.

Anne

My DS does too. Now that I am back at work I use the crockpot at least once a week on days that he is home.

A few recipes we like-

No Peek Casserole (I tried this last week and everyone liked it)

2 pounds extra lean stew meat
1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup
sliced mushrooms
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 cup red wine

Low all day. Serve over Healthy Harvest noodles.

Crockpot Roast Chicken

1 whole chicken
favorite seasoning

Low all day.

Queso

1 pound 93/7 ground beef- browned
1 pound low fat velveeta
1 can rotel
1 can low fat cream of mushroom soup

Low for 4 - 6 hours. Serve over baked tortilla chips.

Thanks! I've never done a chicken in the crock. What type of seasoning to you use? We like Montreal.

The first one wouldn't fly in my house. The last one, maybe beef, Colby & Jack, rotel, and blackbeans instead of the soup? We're not mushroom eaters.

Anne

1lb chicken tenders or chicken breast or thigh meat
1 can black beans
1 can red beans (pinto or kidney)
1 can corn or 8 oz frozen (what you prefer)
1 cup brown rice (optional)
1 oz jar salsa
grease the sides of the crockpot. place everything in set on low for 8hrs or high for 6 hrs.
Serve with flour tortilla's and sour cream and refried beans if you want.

Chili made with either very lean ground beef or ground turkey. I use a pound of meat, a pound of dry beans (soak them overnight), and three pounds of tomatoes, add some onion, chili powder, and any other spices you'd like to taste. We had that tonight with Bisquick biscuits--I sprinkle the tops with a little salt before I bake them and they are very tasty. I just barely brown the meat before putting it in the crockpot--just enough to get a good amount of the fat to pour off.

The entire meal costs me about $5 to make, as I grow my own tomatoes in pots, and it's enough for three meals for three adults. Very healthy, loaded with protein, and very low fat.

Anne

I agree, Chili in the crockpot is a great, low fat, high protein, not too expensive meal. You can always freeze the leftovers, if you don't like to eat the same meal multiple days in a row. I usually make a double batch, we'll eat it for two days and I'll freeze the rest. We usually have it once a week during the winter.

1 can black beans
1 oz jar salsa
grease the sides of the crockpot. place everything in set on low for 8hrs or high for 6 hrs.

This sounds good. Do you serve it on the flour tortillas, or do you grill and eat those seperatly.

Crockpot Roast Chicken

1 whole chicken
favorite seasoning

Low all day.

I've never done a whole chicken in the crockpot, I've always baked mine. But I would love the convenience of a crockpot. Do you add any liquid to this to keep it moist, or does it come out moist on its own?

This sounds good. Do you serve it on the flour tortillas, or do you grill and eat those seperatly.

If i make it with brown rice i personally don't eat it with the tortilla's but you can do what ever you enjoy with them for church for the kids we serve it inside the tortilla's with refried beans on the side.

My fav recipe in the crockpot is Salsa Chicken. Put in chicken breasts. Dump salsa on top. Cook for a couple of hours (I think 7 or so on low, 5 or so on high) and shred with a fork.

Just need to watch the liquid content - if it goes too long, it can burn. Just need to add more salsa.

Costco sells a mango/peach salsa that is unbelieveable. I think it's like 6.99 for a HUGE container. DH polished it off within a week, eating it every night with crackers. It is THAT good.

We eat the salsa chicken with multigrain tortillas. This week I just tried Ezekial (sp?) tortillas - made with sprouted grains instead of flour and they are a complete protein. They were $3.00 for 6, so 50 cents each. DD LOVED them, I thought they were a bit chewy. DH eats anything.

I also make brown rice and beans, with garlic, onion, green pepper (if I have some) and some fajita seasoning. Just started using dry beans to make this - tastes better and WAY cheaper than canned. I freeze any extra, one bag yields a huge amount.

The beans and rice is very filling with the chicken and tortillas. Always have lots of leftovers too.

Samantha

Making broad, sweeping statements that anyone who feeds their family for less than $10 per day must be starving their children is rude and ignorant. Maybe in your area $10 is too much of a stretch or maybe some just aren't aware of the choices and sale prices available.
I think you have me confused with someone else, because I never made a statement such as that.

I am fairly new to this thread & have never made a rude or ignorant comment to anyone about what they feed their family. I am aware of sale prices & how people make choices on what they choose to spend on food.

I've never done a whole chicken in the crockpot, I've always baked mine. But I would love the convenience of a crockpot. Do you add any liquid to this to keep it moist, or does it come out moist on its own?

It comes out moist on it's own but sometimes I add a 1/2 cup of white wine.

We like Emeril's Essence to season it.

I am always looking for crockpot recipes without cream of something soup and this one for pork chops is delicious

Slow cooked down home pork chops and gravy

Everyone loved it. The only changes I made were to add a bit more garlic powder and some freshly ground black pepper. I also used chicken stock that I made instead of the canned stuff.

There is no need to add liquid to it. Even without adding any liquid to it, you will have extra chicken broth in the pot when you take the chicken out. Its a dark, rich broth that is really good to use!

The only bad thing about a chicken in the crock-pot, is that its so moist and tender, it falls apart as you are taking it out of the pot, so if you want a chicken to serve whole, you won't get that. Instead you get wonderful falling off the bone chicken.

yet another unhealthy comfort food

Make Ahead Potatoes

3-5 pounds of potatoes
1 block of cream cheese
1/2 tub of sour cream
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup margarine or butter

Peel and boil potatoes, until tender. drain water. Add cream cheese, sour cream and onion powder. Mash. Transfer to baking dish (I use a two quart casserole). At this point, you can freeze, refrigerate, if you are not planning on eating them the same day.. hense the name "make ahead".

When you're ready to finish, pour 1/4 cup of melted margarine (or butter) over the top. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

-------------
This dish was made every time our church had a "fellowship dinner" growing up. A pot luck dinner, once a month, second sunday of the month. It was made by an older lady. It was always gone, when I went back through for seconds. When I moved away to go to college, my mom got the recipe from her, and passed it on to me.

This is also a great crock-pot recipe. During the holidays I will make this ahead of time and then put it into a greased crock-pot and let them heat during the morning so we have mashed potatoes ready without taking up the valuable cooking space on the busy holiday mornings.

1 can black beans
1 oz jar salsa

Is the rice uncooked or cooked?

to all of you people that doubt that we can feed our familys on 10 per day take a look at TLC show KIDS by the DOZEN
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.14413.55654.32779.x

the family has 13 children(2 are out of the house) the husband makes 40,000 per year and they spend 500 per month on food.= 16.6 per day for 13 children.

yesterday's tv show they had a birth day party with 150 guest and the food came out to be 130= less than 1$ per person

here are some of the tips the wife gave a( and others have said the SAME thing)

she stocks up when ever something is on sale. She knows her top price for an item. She will take a turkey and make meals out of it. :woohoo:

she bought 3 turkeys for 5$ each:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter