Favreau Enters Negotiations for Lucasfilm President

WDW Pro

Yes, the WDW Pro
In order to ensure a smooth transition either in 2021 or sooner (unlikely), Disney has entered into contractual negotiations with Jon Favreau for the position of President of Lucasfilm. Much of this work is based upon preliminary needs to locking him in as the successor, with conditions for both sides likewise put onto paper. Surprisingly, some of these negotiations are said to involve Favreau and Disney reestablishing LucasArts as an interactive media producer. I am told none of these contractual agreements would feature finalization of his position transfer, but are instead an attempt to make sure Disney isn't put in an awkward spot trying to find a new president after Kennedy leaves. It would seem this confirms that Kennedy and Disney will part ways, though she could pull an Iger and take on a symbolic role in leadership.

This lines up with Favreau's latest comments that the OT should be respected and is the way forward, along with the reports that Disney is looking to produce a film featuring a CGI photorealistic Luke Skywalker, possibly taking place after the events of the OT but before Episode 7. It would seem that Favreau may already have fully taken the reigns of the decisionmaking. Kennedy may be involved in work on a Young Indiana Jones movie, but that remains heavily secret and pre-script.

In order to ensure a smooth transition either in 2021 or sooner (unlikely), Disney has entered into contractual negotiations with Jon Favreau for the position of President of Lucasfilm. Much of this work is based upon preliminary needs to locking him in as the successor, with conditions for both sides likewise put onto paper. Surprisingly, some of these negotiations are said to involve Favreau and Disney reestablishing LucasArts as an interactive media producer. I am told none of these contractual agreements would feature finalization of his position transfer, but are instead an attempt to make sure Disney isn't put in an awkward spot trying to find a new president after Kennedy leaves. It would seem this confirms that Kennedy and Disney will part ways, though she could pull an Iger and take on a symbolic role in leadership.

This lines up with Favreau's latest comments that the OT should be respected and is the way forward, along with the reports that Disney is looking to produce a film featuring a CGI photorealistic Luke Skywalker, possibly taking place after the events of the OT but before Episode 7. It would seem that Favreau may already have fully taken the reigns of the decisionmaking. Kennedy may be involved in work on a Young Indiana Jones movie, but that remains heavily secret and pre-script.

I assumed Kennedy would be leaving eventually, and she's done a great job. Favreau is a good choice, though it will pigeon-hole him into Lucasfilm IP. I wonder if he'll still have time to direct - it would be a shame if he had to go hands-off as president. While he did say that the OT was what he harkened back to for The Mandalorian, he was specifically talking about that series, not Star Wars as a whole. We know they are doing Obi-Wan and several other Disney+ series that cover a lot of eras of Star Wars, including a rumored Kylo Ren series now (heavy grain of salt on tha tone, but could be cool). I doubt he thinks the OT is the only way to go, despite how many fans can never accept anything else. I would 100% be for re-establishing LucasArts but it sounds like a little too much wishful thinking to me. We'll see I guess.

Doesn’t surprise me, but also doesn’t sound like this is anything close to a done deal. Just from your statements, they’re entering into contractual discussions, but not to change his title. I think this is still a long way out before we see anything official announced. And I think Kennedy could wind up still staying on as an overseer.

Doesn’t surprise me, but also doesn’t sound like this is anything close to a done deal. Just from your statements, they’re entering into contractual discussions, but not to change his title. I think this is still a long way out before we see anything official announced. And I think Kennedy could wind up still staying on as an overseer.

I think Kennedy may be ready to move on. I know a lot of fans want to see her "ousted" but I bet she leaves on her own terms. She may take a deal to develop other projets with Disney, outside of Lucasfilm. She is very accomplished and can likely write her own ticket.

Kennedy's contract is up in 13 months. She is of 'retirement age' (she'll be 68). The likelihood of leaving at the time is good.

The likelihood of her being fired or forced out or given the pink slip as has been ""rumored"" for many years (and so much for those rumors being true) is unlikely.

It only makes sense to groom a replacement, and Favreau has shown himself capable with Marvel, Disney Animation, and Star Wars. Seems that Disney is very happy with him. Despite the behind the scenes '""rumors"" of him butting heads with Kennedy, he was very magnanimous with her on the Mandalorian behind the scenes series on Disney Plus.

Just a few months after her retirement, there will be an opening on Disney's board.

Kennedy's contract is up in 13 months. She is of 'retirement age' (she'll be 68). The likelihood of leaving at the time is good.

The likelihood of her being fired or forced out or given the pink slip as has been ""rumored"" for many years (and so much for those rumors being true) is unlikely.

It only makes sense to groom a replacement, and Favreau has shown himself capable with Marvel, Disney Animation, and Star Wars. Seems that Disney is very happy with him. Despite the behind the scenes '""rumors"" of him butting heads with Kennedy, he was very magnanimous with her on the Mandalorian behind the scenes series on Disney Plus.

Just a few months after her retirement, there will be an opening on Disney's board.

Favreau is a professional. He would never buttheads with anyone he works with in a public way (that's assuming he felt any negativity toward her).

I loved all of the Sequel Trilogy, plus Rogue One and Solo. Rebels was also made under her watch, which might be the best thing Disney has made with the property. Mando's great too, and Resistance was pretty good for a younger-targeted show. I really don't understand how "Disney Star Wars" is so bad? Yeah, some people didn't like about half of The Last Jedi - man, does that really make it all a "disaster?"

Box office receipts would disagree. And at the end of the day, thats really what matters to company’s. I agree its time for a change in leadership, but she did what she was asked to do. Make Disney a ton of money

Star Wars is always going to make money. Hiring a competent writer/director was going to make sure the box office brought it cash.

I loved all of the Sequel Trilogy, plus Rogue One and Solo. Rebels was also made under her watch, which might be the best thing Disney has made with the property. Mando's great too, and Resistance was pretty good for a younger-targeted show. I really don't understand how "Disney Star Wars" is so bad? Yeah, some people didn't like about half of The Last Jedi - man, does that really make it all a "disaster?"

Just go reread our last discussion on Star Wars. I think anyone who is a SW fan knows the argument already.

Star Wars is always going to make money. Hiring a competent writer/director was going to make sure the box office brought it cash.

Who hired the writers and directors? Kennedy. Solo didnt make money. IP name doesnt always equate to box office receipts. Look a Justice League. I think when Solo released was more of a problem than the mess with the directors. Star Wars in May just doesnt work anymore. They’re Holiday Season movies. If Solo released in December, it would have been a juggernaut. Aquaman released that December and is the highest crossing DCEU movie to date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts