Favorite loop at the Fort and why?

I think that 52 ft is the pavement. You can see in our pictures. There is another 10-12 ft of coquina shell you can also use. I would suggest putting down boards to back off the back of the pavement. The coquina is packed tighter than sand, but I've seen some decent ruts in it too.

j
Thanks for the suggestion.

We upgraded to a premium site, and still debating on which loop to request. Thinking 400, 500, 600, or 700 will be it. Thank you ALL for all of your help -- your advice, pictures, and information were so helpful in making this decision!

Last edited:
Is there any one loop that is more "wooded", like a state park feel, than the others? We have a travel trailer and opted for the full-hook up level this time around.

About 95% of the time we stay in the 100 loop if possible. Easy walk to the boat dock. It is one of the smallest loops at the Fort. It is considered a preferred campsite. It has a paved area for your RV and a pad with packed sand/crushed shell behind it for a tent. Don't worry, it is very firm and I normally back my 38' motor home onto this and it any sinks about an inch or so. Same for my levelers. Leaves enough space in front to park my golf cart and truck. There is also an app called Fort Wilderness Sites, that has photos and measurements of almost all the RV sites.

I submitted my request for the 100 loop. Hope they have a good site in that loop available when we get there. Only 2.5 weeks to go, and we're getting so excited!

I submitted my request for the 100 loop. Hope they have a good site in that loop available when we get there. Only 2.5 weeks to go, and we're getting so excited!
When you check in and they have stuck you somewhere wise, just ask them if 100 is available. About half the time they can accommodate you. Keep that app open so they don't stick you in a site like 110 or one of the other short sites.

Is there any one loop that is more "wooded", like a state park feel, than the others? We have a travel trailer and opted for the full-hook up level this time around.

Well they're all wooded to some degree but in the Full category I would say 1900 which is in the back corner of where the four Full loops that are clustered together are. It's probably the most quiet, out of the way loop in the whole Fort. After that, second choice might be 1700.

Of course, kpavlik, that's just my opinion. Opinions are like noses - everybody has one. :goodvibes

Bama Ed

Why doesn't it seem like anyone likes, or at least prefers, loop 300? Is it a lot different than loop 100?

Last year we almost had a problem with our site in the 100 loop. We tow a 30 ft travel trailer with a 3500 dually. Backing into the site we almost did not make it between cars on the site across the way, but more importantly the electrical box that supplies power to the loop sits just off the roadway. I was just inches away from that box with my front bumper backing in. Make no mistake about it, the preferred loops are tight. I have been backing trailers from the age of 15 as I worked on a horse farm, so it was not a lack of experience either.

Okay, now you have me more worried! haha. My truck is big, but at least my travel trailer isn't - I think only nineteen feet long. I've only had it two weekends, but haven't practiced parking it (or pulling it) yet. I have six months to learn. I've own the truck for about three months now... and still haven't mastered parking it. Any tips??

Last edited:
Why doesn't it seem like anyone likes, or at least prefers, loop 300? Is it a lot different than loop 100?
We had the 300 loop on our first trip to the fort. We had booked a "Premium" loop and that's where they put us. We didn't realize it at first that it was only a preferred (but that's a whole other story).

Anyway, the loop was okay except that there were a lot of vehicles there that, well....., weren't exactly parked properly, which made it a challenge for us to get our 27' TT (at that time) into the site. We did eventually get it in though. Other than that, we didn't mind the site. It's location wasn't bad and we had plenty of trees around us.

I have a 24' class C with no slides, so it's easy to fit in most places. I have not camped at the Fort before, but I was thinking of 1500 or 1600 loop, or maybe 1300, in order to be close to the Meadow Pool and campfire. It seems like most folks in this thread prefer to be closer to The Settlement. Can anyone offer any insights or recommendations on the 1500, 1600, and 1300 loops? We will be there mid-October.

For me, it is a distance thing. The 300 loop is bigger than the 100 loop and it is a good walk to the Settlement and the marina. The 300 loop has it's own bus stop. That means it is a whole bus stop away. :-)That isn't really that far, but far enough that I'd rather be in 100.

j

I have a 24' class C with no slides, so it's easy to fit in most places. I have not camped at the Fort before, but I was thinking of 1500 or 1600 loop, or maybe 1300, in order to be close to the Meadow Pool and campfire. It seems like most folks in this thread prefer to be closer to The Settlement. Can anyone offer any insights or recommendations on the 1500, 1600, and 1300 loops? We will be there mid-October.
1500 is a tent/pop-up loop. 1600 is full hook-up and 1300 is premium. 1600/1700 is close to the Meadow and 400 600 1300 are close. 1600 and 1700 are gonna be a little cheaper.

Okay, now you have me more worried! haha. My truck is big, but at least my travel trailer isn't - I think only nineteen feet long. I've only had it two weekends, but haven't practiced parking it (or pulling it) yet. I have six months to learn. I've own the truck for about three months now... and still haven't mastered parking it. Any tips??

Yes, go find a big empty parking lot and practice backing up the trailer. Get a few used milk jugs plastic, and mark an area off to back in to. I would say about 16 feet wide and make it at least one and a half times the length of the trailer. Practice backing straight up first, then from perpendicular to the opening back in on the drivers side, then back in on the passenger side, which is the hardest to do, as it is very hard to see this way.

We like the expanded 600 loop. It is close to the meadows TP, pool, Chip and Dale sing along. The sites accommodate our 34' 5vr very well.

Yes, go find a big empty parking lot and practice backing up the trailer. Get a few used milk jugs plastic, and mark an area off to back in to. I would say about 16 feet wide and make it at least one and a half times the length of the trailer. Practice backing straight up first, then from perpendicular to the opening back in on the drivers side, then back in on the passenger side, which is the hardest to do, as it is very hard to see this way.

And your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel. Which ever way you move your hand (left or right) that is the way the way the trailer will go. I always use this tip. Gene

For me, it is a distance thing. The 300 loop is bigger than the 100 loop and it is a good walk to the Settlement and the marina. The 300 loop has it's own bus stop. That means it is a whole bus stop away. :-)That isn't really that far, but far enough that I'd rather be in 100.

That makes sense! I'll most likely rent a golf cart since I get way too much enjoyment just driving that around. So expensive, but so fun. :)

I love the milk jug idea!!!! THANK YOU! :thanks: It shouldn't bring back too many traumatic memories of Range during Drivers Ed here in Michigan. haha

And your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel. Which ever way you move your hand (left or right) that is the way the way the trailer will go. I always use this tip. Gene

Thanks for the tip! I will try to remember! I guess it's just hard to picture in my mind: yes, I want the travel trailer go one way but what happens to my truck in the process? :) I'll learn eventually - and thankfully there are all these nice, awesome people here on Disboards giving me great tips. And as I said on a different thread, be prepared for entertainment in October watching me try to back in my spot. popcorn::

We like loop 500. Easy walk to dog park and big sites. We have also stayed in 300 but the sites are tough for our 43' MH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter