Favorite loop at the Fort and why?

good question. I too need this answer.

Yes. Only the Tent sites are not what every other campground in the country would consider "full hookup". Water, sewer, 50 amp service are all standard at every RV site regardless of the "Full Hookup", "Preferred", or "Premium" designation. Personally I think Disney's nomenclature is stupid nonsense. If they would call Full Hookup something like "Traditional", then they would have an easy explanation that Traditional, Preferred and Premium are all 50 amp full hookup and people would know what the heck is going on. Or if they called them "Traditional", "Preferred Location", and "Premium Size", people might really understand the differences. Instead, they use a term that means something else at every other campground and use it to denote the lowest cost level of Fort Wilderness's RV sites. It makes me shake my head...

Yes. Only the Tent sites are not what every other campground in the country would consider "full hookup". Water, sewer, 50 amp service are all standard at every RV site regardless of the "Full Hookup", "Preferred", or "Premium" designation. Personally I think Disney's nomenclature is stupid nonsense. If they would call Full Hookup something like "Traditional", then they would have an easy explanation that Traditional, Preferred and Premium are all 50 amp full hookup and people would know what the heck is going on. Or if they called them "Traditional", "Preferred Location", and "Premium Size", people might really understand the differences. Instead, they use a term that means something else at every other campground and use it to denote the lowest cost level of Fort Wilderness's RV sites. It makes me shake my head...
It is very confusing!!

I'm now worrying that the preferred sites may be too small :(

It is very confusing!!

I'm now worrying that the preferred sites may be too small :(

Probably not, but it will depend on your equipment and site. Frankly, the sites at The Fort are generally larger than pretty much ANY other campground I've stayed at, and that is true at all levels. There are some smaller sites in the Preferred Loops, but even they aren't small by typical campground standards. The issue is the loops can be a bit tight, and if people are parked close to or partly on the road, as many do because they have an RV, a car, a golf cart and 12 tons of stuff laying everywhere, it can be hard to get in or out. The sites themselves are hardly ever a problem, and if it is you can always ask for a different one. Disney is great about that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Here was my Preferred site in loop 100, site 116, before I backed into it in January:

And after I had set up a little bit (closer in picture):

I didn't take a ruler to it but again all the rv'ers want rear tires on the concrete and that puts a longer trailer with a longer tow vehicle up by the road.

The far end of the loop about sites 109-116 are where it's particularly tight. 200 right next to it is not as tight and you still have the benefits of a Preferred loop in terms of location, hearing the boat whistles, trains at MK, and the horse drawn wagons clip clopping through the loop in the evenings.

Don't want to scare you unnecessarily but you'll probably be fine if you make sure to arrange your vehicle so others can get by as best you can.

Bama Ed

PS - all Tent, Full, and Preferred sites are paved 12 feet wide. Premiums are 18 feet wide paved, at least 55 feet deep, and flare out widely where they meet the road.

Here was my Preferred site in loop 100, site 116, before I backed into it in January:

And after I had set up a little bit (closer in picture):

I didn't take a ruler to it but again all the rv'ers want rear tires on the concrete and that puts a longer trailer with a longer tow vehicle up by the road.

The far end of the loop about sites 109-116 are where it's particularly tight. 200 right next to it is not as tight and you still have the benefits of a Preferred loop in terms of location, hearing the boat whistles, trains at MK, and the horse drawn wagons clip clopping through the loop in the evenings.

Don't want to scare you unnecessarily but you'll probably be fine if you make sure to arrange your vehicle so others can get by as best you can.

Bama Ed

PS - all Tent, Full, and Preferred sites are paved 12 feet wide. Premiums are 18 feet wide paved, at least 55 feet deep, and flare out widely where they meet the road.

Thank you so much!!! That helps a lot!! Maybe we will request 200 over 100.

Probably not, but it will depend on your equipment and site. Frankly, the sites at The Fort are generally larger than pretty much ANY other campground I've stayed at, and that is true at all levels. There are some smaller sites in the Preferred Loops, but even they aren't small by typical campground standards. The issue is the loops can be a bit tight, and if people are parked close to or partly on the road, as many do because they have an RV, a car, a golf cart and 12 tons of stuff laying everywhere, it can be hard to get in or out. The sites themselves are hardly ever a problem, and if it is you can always ask for a different one. Disney is great about that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ok. Thank you. I'm still a little concerned, but I mean, I gave them the measurements of the vehicles when I booked.. so hopefully that works.

Thank you so much! We went ahead and changed our reservation from Full Hookup to Preferred and we'll request loop 100.

I'll post up a couple more pics of the 100 loop. These are with my old 5er. It was 31 ft long. My black truck was an F250 crewcab, short bed. The maroon truck is an F350 dually, crewcab, long bed.

Here's site 119 from 2008. The rear wheels of the trailer are sitting on boards just off the pavement, into the coquina (sand). The truck is near the front of the site.

IMG_0696_zpsx5kdkp2s.jpg~original

Here is site 103 from 2011. Same trailer with the rear wheels sitting just off the back of the pad. This truck is about 1 1/2 ft longer than the black one. There's a little more room on this site.

IMG_20110528_151422_zpsu9fj6zhy.jpg~original

I was posting this one to show the rear wheels of the trailer in the coquina, but I also noticed the white SUV across the road sitting half in the lane. This is probably the biggest issue with the Preferreds. The loops, especially 100, have pretty tight corners. All it takes is one of these cars sitting half in the road to make it really tough to get around the loop with a big trailer.
BTW, my DS in the pic is 19 now and graduating from high school in May.

IMG_0700_zpsmyitd1aj.jpg~original

j

Last edited:
Here is a great video of the 100 loop. You can see most of the site numbers, but also the turns and typical parked cars at the edge. This should help you decide if it's something you can navigate.

j

Thanks for sharing the pix and the video. I'll show them to my husband.

That's a pretty accurate video, Teamubr. Thanks for sharing! Bama Ed

Here is a great video of the 100 loop. You can see most of the site numbers, but also the turns and typical parked cars at the edge. This should help you decide if it's something you can navigate.

j

Thank you SO much!!!! I see what you all mean -- sites look big enough but getting in an out may be a squeeze.

These are the pictures of our truck and trailer in the 100 loop last year. As you can see the wheels of the trailer are on the asphalt, but my back door opened out on the sand pad. The TT is 30 Ft including the hitch. I pulled the truck up only about 8 inches from the hitch. So I could step behind the truck was all.

20160222_180706_1491501698646_resized.jpg 20160222_174033_resized.jpg 20160222_174024_resized.jpg 20160222_174008_resized.jpg

That's a pretty accurate video, Teamubr. Thanks for sharing! Bama Ed
I just found it on the innerwebs. Whoever it is used a decent wide angle to really capture what it looks like. I was going to search for more of their videos. Right now, I don't think I'm going to make a loop request. This will be my first trip in a Premium since 2003. We were in the inner loop of 1400 then. It was OK. Since I'm getting a golf cart (first time ever), I figured I take whatever.

j

Chris was in the same site I had one year. 103. 101 is in the foreground.

j

Thanks. I was wondering about that. The app says site 101 is 11' wide by 24' deep. There's no way we would fit there. Site 103 is 10' wide by 52' deep. We should fit there with our 36' travel trailer and pickup truck, but it would be tight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a good sized site available in loop 100 when we arrive. We're checking in on a Thursday, so our odds are better than if we checked in on Friday. I'm more motivated now to be ready to hit the road as soon as possible after work on Wednesday night and drive through the night to get there earlier on Thursday.

I think that 52 ft is the pavement. You can see in our pictures. There is another 10-12 ft of coquina shell you can also use. I would suggest putting down boards to back off the back of the pavement. The coquina is packed tighter than sand, but I've seen some decent ruts in it too.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter