Fantasy having mechanical issues

I am sure it wasn't an 8 hour wait for an update. I would always rather be communicated with up to date information as they get it. Many travelers wouldn't have kept their luggage like we did only to be told move it around for the last few hours.

I don't understand why people are saying there was a lack of communication. We were in the Tube when there was an announcement that there was a mechanical issue. We were informed then that they were working on rescheduling flights and if you did not book with DCL that guest services would assist you. We were also told that we would dock around 10:00 AM the next morning with disembarkation around 11:00. Then told no further announcement would come until 8:00 AM Saturday morning. At exactly 8:00 there was a thorough announcement telling us it would be an hour longer than originally thought and that there would be lunch, activities (specified them all) and that we didn't need to be out of the room until 11:00. I think the only thing they handled wrong was telling passengers walking off, an hour earlier than needed, to head to the Theater. It created a cluster because on a 3 day cruise most everyone is just walking off. Assuming there would be an issue we sat around the adult pool, ate lunch and waited. We saw the 1st people head off toward the buses, took the elevator down to deck 3, and walked right off. I think most of the complaints are from people listened and were in that cluster and who had issues with flights and traveling which is very understandable but not everything can be controlled. I think DCL did a good job handing this situation.

As with the other complaints, air conditioning, toilets, etc., this was the 1st cruise after dry dock. We all knew that. If you have the ability to be on the disboards and complain you should have had the ability to know that cruises immediately following dry dock can and do have issues. We went in knowing that so the issues we experience were expected and far fewer than we anticipated.

On the flip side, I would actually expect MORE compensation for things they CAN control - such as bringing the soup that had specifically been labeled by the guest as something there was an allergy to - than for mechanical things they cannot totally control.

It's not really who has control. It's who should bear the risk. No mechanical equipment will work perfectly. No food will absolutely be guaranteed to be free from allergy. Even if you label it as such, there's no guarantee that someone won't tamper with it, won't be contaminated, or won't be screwed up. The question is what's a reasonable expectation?

Again, people seem to confuse LEGAL obligation with good customer service.

Legal obligation wise, Disney can sit in the port and do squat. They can also refuse to serve you any food that is free from your allergy. That's not the point. The point is what's good customer service? and should we expect that level of customer service from Disney?

Disney clearly holds themselves out as a premier line with prices to match.

Are people (who aren't even on the cruise) really trying to make an argument over Tortola being swapped out for San Juan?
Yes it's disappointing. Not saying it isn't.
But I'm pretty sure it could've been a lot easier for DCL to just swap it out as a day at sea, at least they tried to do something.

And as for being practised in these types of disembarkation, when do you suggest they practise that? Your next cruise, I'm sure you'd love that 'hey guys, so we're gonna keep you on board for a few extra hours just so we know what to do on the rare occassion that we have to do it for mechanical issues, thanks, here's a mickey bar'

Ahhh, people of dis boards, thanks for keeping me entertained ha ha!

Are you on the current Fantasy cruise? If not, why are you trying to stifle the discussion over Tortola being swapped out for San Juan? As for practice, that's on Disney to practice. They train when were on a port for some sort of drills. I imagine they should also train for a sinking ship, pirate attacks, etc. All of which is not really convenient as ships run 24/7. I don't know if you need to run live drills, but you can always practice for these types of issues. At my work, before every meeting, we go over safety briefings including where the exits are, where the take cover shelters are, where the AED is, etc. At all places I've worked at, you're also required to do live fire drills every year or every two years.

I guess, but they are still getting their full vacation, they just had to swap out Tortola for San Juan. Some people have already said that's an upgrade. So not sure exactly why they'd need compensation.

If people got an upgrade, that is the compensation.

The times we've been on the Fantasy I don't remember any vibration. I'll have to check where our rooms were but we usually sail aft. Now I am a bit freaked out because on our upcoming Fantasy cruise we have an aft balcony (deck 6 or 7 I think). Cruise is completely sold out so no chance to try and get another room. Curious to hear if there is/was vibration on this week's cruise.

Speaking of vibration - on the last night of our Magic cruise in November (we were in an inside) there was such a vibration and loud noises for most of the night. It sounded like the ship was coming apart! Possibly where our room was.... I wonder if anyone else has had that experience.

I wonder if this attitude is what's driving most of the comments. Less demand = lower prices.

That would be a pipe dream. Disney is NEVER gong to lower prices, not matter how hard I might hope! Certainly not based on the comments on a chat board, not matter how popular. Based on the shenanigans I and my TA had to go through to get me a booking last Wednesday when Silver could book, there are way plenty more people willing to pay the Disney premium, the odd mechanical issue notwithstanding, than who followed yesterday's little drama. Indeed, another Disney forum with many experienced cruisers started a thread that simply drew a ho-hum.

I'm just hoping they keep the increases to manageable levels by the time #5 and #6 come online.

Dirk

The times we've been on the Fantasy I don't remember any vibration. I'll have to check where our rooms were but we usually sail aft. Now I am a bit freaked out because on our upcoming Fantasy cruise we have an aft balcony (deck 6 or 7 I think). Cruise is completely sold out so no chance to try and get another room. Curious to hear if there is/was vibration on this week's cruise.

Speaking of vibration - on the last night of our Magic cruise in November (we were in an inside) there was such a vibration and loud noises for most of the night. It sounded like the ship was coming apart! Possibly where our room was.... I wonder if anyone else has had that experience.

We'v only had cabins in the midship area, but I have felt the vibration in the aft of the ship, from Deck 4 to Dec 12. Our Remy server almost didn't have to stir the opening champagne cocktail. :) This was true in 2012 and again the last cruise before dry dock. What I don't know is how bad it is in the staterooms and whether or not you quickly acclimate to it as just part of the background noise/movement that comes with being on the water.

I'm a light enough sleeper that I won't book too far aft on the Fantasy until I know more, but it doesn't both my enjoyment otherwise.

That would be a pipe dream. Disney is NEVER gong to lower prices, not matter how hard I might hope! Certainly not based on the comments on a chat board, not matter how popular. Based on the shenanigans I and my TA had to go through to get me a booking last Wednesday when Silver could book, there are way plenty more people willing to pay the Disney premium, the odd mechanical issue notwithstanding, than who followed yesterday's little drama. Indeed, another Disney forum with many experienced cruisers started a thread that simply drew a ho-hum.

I'm just hoping they keep the increases to manageable levels by the time #5 and #6 come online.

Dirk

That depends on your definition of manageable. For a lot of former cruisers. the cost became unmanageable years ago.

What I don't know is how bad it is in the staterooms and whether or not you quickly acclimate to it as just part of the background noise/movement that comes with being on the water.
I can only report I didn't acclimate to it. It was much too big a vibration, not just little one.

I was first aware of it the first night. I was lying/sitting on the bed, with a pillow behind my back, read the Navigator, and listening to the TV. I could not put my head back against the headboard as it basically bounced around and made it impossible to read or watch the TV. The next night we were in Animator's Palate and a water glass at the next table literally walked off the table. Also saw it happen in Royal Palace later in the cruise.

I can only report I didn't acclimate to it. It was much too big a vibration, not just little one.

I was first aware of it the first night. I was lying/sitting on the bed, with a pillow behind my back, read the Navigator, and listening to the TV. I could not put my head back against the headboard as it basically bounced around and made it impossible to read or watch the TV. The next night we were in Animator's Palate and a water glass at the next table literally walked off the table. Also saw it happen in Royal Palace later in the cruise.

Yeah, that's no good! Each time I've felt it, it's been temporary, like a change in speed, or maybe the use of a thruster. It was accompanied by a loud, grating noise, like grinding gears on a manual transmission. I had visions of Commodore Tom trying to figure out the new clutch . . . ;)

I noticed a slight vibration in Animators on the Maiden. You could see the tremors in a glass of liquid. Apparently it got worse as time went on. That and I still think there are 2 separate vibrations. 1 from the running gear, which manifest when the ship is at speed, and the other some type of machinery that is somewhere around deck 6 inside. That's the one most people associate with the old shaker beds that are constant no matter how fast the ship is moving.

I guess, but they are still getting their full vacation, they just had to swap out Tortola for San Juan. Some people have already said that's an upgrade. So not sure exactly why they'd need compensation.

This bugs me because I know of at least one person posting on this thread that isn't a fan of San Juan, and we would have been bummed because we have never been to Tortola. As I have said bummed, but not asking for compensation mad. Just find it surprising that some (not you) choose to make a value judgement for others.

No that's not it. If it was carnival or NCL the same people defending DCL would be launching a full on attack.

Glad someone posted this, I toyed with the idea. The sad part is they all try their best to make a bad situation as good as possible, I just can't stand the DCL is perfect and the passengers are whiners posts. Even when we were 100% loyal to DCL we realized that they were a big Corp. with lots of employees and some of them would be pixie dust less. We tend to roll with the good and bad in everything to have fun vacations regardless of what happens.

That depends on your definition of manageable. For a lot of former cruisers. the cost became unmanageable years ago.

For us it is manageable, we just want to retire earlier, 60 is my goal:)

No I don't expect things not to go wrong. I expect the company to make things right when things DO go wrong and it's the company's fault. If you don't expect that out of the company's you give your hard earned money to that's on you. I'm loyal to a lot of different company's. When they make mistakes they fix them and make things right. That is why I'm loyal too them. I work in customer service I have to fix problems and make people happy all the time. It's what successful people and company's do.

It's my understanding that they did offer extras for the inconvenience. Maybe I misinterpreted, I don't know. But by your logic then if you are driving to work one day and something like your timing belt breaks and your car breaks down and you make it to work late, or not at all, you should be fired because that was within your control. Not sure how much experience you have with mechanical things, but they do break, it's almost inevitable sooner or later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter