Fantasy having mechanical issues

We were on the Fantasy and our overall experience was excellent. There was noticeable vibration on the last night during dinner in the Royal Court. Later that evening an announcement was made about the mechanical problem. The estimated time of arrival was 11:00 am. We placed our luggage outside the stateroom door at 10:15 pm. The next day, at 12:15 pm, we were instructed to depart. We were through customs and in the car by 12:30 pm. I heard that others, who decided to carrier their own luggage off, didn't make it through customs until 12:15 pm. Personally, I do not care to be a Sherpa.

This is very much dcl's attitude too, you are lucky to be on this ship and in fact you are in our way, so if you could please squeeze yourselves into a few areas that would be great.

And they're absolutely right! They're saying, we are taking good care of you by providing lots of activities, and food. But we do have to prepare for the next sailing at the same time. I still say, bravo DCL, well done.

I'm actually confused. People were delayed, on a beautiful cruise ship, for a few hours getting off. But there is power. There are working toilets. There is plenty of food that you normally wouldn't get, because you have to get off as soon as breakfast is over. Your awesome cruise is extended! Its not like you were stranded out at sea, with no power or toilets, this didn't get unsanitary, and couldn't eat? Where is the hardship here? Its nonsense. DCL, it sounds like you were superb, as usual, well done.
You're kidding right? You do not see the hardship some endured? Now, I understand it was unavoidable but I do see the issue that some were now stranded at the airport trying to find a way home after missing their flights. It is not all sunshine and roses as you portray.

Well--lots of theories but no explanation as of yet. I hope they are savvy enough to fix whatever the problem is PERMANENTLY so as to avoid a repeat performance.

IF structural as H2O suggests, there may not be a quick fix..

Our Fantasy Cruise isn't until late October--I hope it's cleared up by then!!!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a permanent fix in the .marine industry. Everything has a lifespan. Some are shorter then others, and some are unexpected,( the Queen Mary, built.to even higher standards then DCL has blown several large capacitors and damaged the ship. At least 1 explosion tore a door off the hinges) Cruise lines really don't like when things like this happen. It costs them money and worse bad publicity.Freedom of the Seas just out of the builders block had a bad thrust bearing in an azipod and had to go right back into a dock to have it replaced. Unfortunately, things like this will continue to happen if it's made by man.

ETA: corrected fat finger autocorrect.

Last edited:

This seems to be pretty standard for Carnival and for me it is a good way to make amends with people, because in reality it is not much out of their pocket but still carries a lot of good will.
Offering people 25% off on a future cruise is brilliant. It's a money maker for the cruiseline. It pretty much guarantees everyone on board books another cruise. It also shows that you care about the customers inconvenience. I've worked in customer service for years. It doesn't always take a lot to make people happy if a mistake is made. Most people just want an apology, to now that you care, and the problem solved. Throwing in a few movie tickets or a gift card can go a long way.
I think we all know what the cruise contract states. I don't think people need to keep pointing that out. Most company's will do things they don't have to do keep customers happy and coming back.
I'm actually confused. People were delayed, on a beautiful cruise ship, for a few hours getting off. But there is power. There are working toilets. There is plenty of food that you normally wouldn't get, because you have to get off as soon as breakfast is over. Your awesome cruise is extended! Its not like you were stranded out at sea, with no power or toilets, this didn't get unsanitary, and couldn't eat? Where is the hardship here? Its nonsense. DCL, it sounds like you were superb, as usual, well done.
I'd rather make my flight, get home on time, pick my dog up from the kennel on time, make it back to work when I'm supposed to be there, but that just me. I've been stranded many times because of flights. Sometimes due to weather at my expense. Other times it was the airlines fault and it was at their expense. You've got to expect this stuff when you travel, but I can't say it's ever fun.
I'm amazed at the petty little things people complain about on this board, but when it's something major like a mechanical issue that causes you to miss your flight and pay change fees its no big deal.

I was on board the fantasy and frustrated with lack of communication as it related to amenities like food. We ate early waiting for the announcement to disembark and high tail it to our flight at 2pm. It was not the great service you expect from DCL and premium price that comes with it. Long story short we were packed into the theatre at 11 am didn't get off until 1215 with an early breakfast and no lunch.

Are people (who aren't even on the cruise) really trying to make an argument over Tortola being swapped out for San Juan?
Yes it's disappointing. Not saying it isn't.
But I'm pretty sure it could've been a lot easier for DCL to just swap it out as a day at sea, at least they tried to do something.

And as for being practised in these types of disembarkation, when do you suggest they practise that? Your next cruise, I'm sure you'd love that 'hey guys, so we're gonna keep you on board for a few extra hours just so we know what to do on the rare occassion that we have to do it for mechanical issues, thanks, here's a mickey bar'

Ahhh, people of dis boards, thanks for keeping me entertained ha ha!

It was five "extra hours" with not a lot of communication very frustrating being kept in the dark and trying to make it home to our responsibilities there. We pay a fortune for exceptional service; dcl is a Nordstrom product and we received a walmart response.

We disembarked the Fantasy yesterday. While I can certainly empathize with those who had to rearrange and pay for flight changes, that was not our personal situation. My daughter and I cheered when Commodore Thom announced we would be arriving late. We were able to grab some breakfast plates and head to the Buena Vista theater to see Guardians II. Afterwards we headed up to deck 11 for Cabanas lunch and ice cream cones. We walked off the ship with a very short (maybe 5 min) wait for customs. We were heading home by 1245.

While we did all comment on the temperature of the room not being cool enough to our liking, I did not call to see if anything could be done. While it was uncomfortable at times, it certainly did not impact our fun. We had a fabulous cruise and feel lucky we were able to enjoy the ship for a few extra hours!

You're kidding right? You do not see the hardship some endured? Now, I understand it was unavoidable but I do see the issue that some were now stranded at the airport trying to find a way home after missing their flights. It is not all sunshine and roses as you portray.

Stranded at MCO? No, that is not a hardship. They have a beautiful mall to shop in, a great food court to hang out in, I know, we did it for 8 hours after a DCL cruise a few years ago. It was actually fun with my kids. I also went to Africa three years ago, for a two week trip. Although it was a trip of a lifetime, and would love to return, I saw hardship. THAT is hardship. Not waiting at an airport, just getting off an awesome cruise.

One more thing I forgot to add in my response. I work for an airline and understand maintenance better than the average consumer. My frustration did not come from the inconvenience but from their lack of response. Tell us what is going on, we knew at 845 while eating dinner i on the royal court something significant just happened it was loud and rattled our table, it wasn't until after the 1030 bag cut off that they made an announcement at 1050 that we would be late . In the morning they made one announcement at 800 and that's it.

Typically you would over communicate in these types of situations, it left us wondering what to do, pay the zillion dollars for internet so we could redo our car and air travel? And to what time? Clearly I don't use Disney for air but cars cost a ton to keep hourly.

They could have been proactive and done some care while we waited like snacks or even handed out suits to the kids so they could play in the water. That would have cost little s and saved a lot service wise.

Stranded at MCO? No, that is not a hardship. They have a beautiful mall to shop in, a great food court to hang out in, I know, we did it for 8 hours after a DCL cruise a few years ago. It was actually fun with my kids. I also went to Africa three years ago, for a two week trip. Although it was a trip of a lifetime, and would love to return, I saw hardship. THAT is hardship. Not waiting at an airport, just getting off an awesome cruise.
It is hard the kids are exhausted and we're ready for home!

It was five "extra hours" with not a lot of communication very frustrating being kept in the dark and trying to make it home to our responsibilities there. We pay a fortune for exceptional service; dcl is a Nordstrom product and we received a walmart response.

Since this was an added cruise with a lower than normal price point for a CC double dip, what compensation or response are you looking for? For every cruiser complaining, there is a cruiser stating it was handled well. Just trying to see what you think is a fair resolution.

I'm sure there were happy people and plenty of unhappy people over this situation.
Your idea of fun is not my idea of fun. I travel a lot being stranded at a airport is not fun. Experienced that way too many times.

Since this was an added cruise with a lower than normal price point for a CC double dip, what compensation or response are you looking for? For every cruiser complaining, there is a cruiser stating it was handled well. Just trying to see what you think is a fair resolution.

What do you consider lower price point? I paid quite a bit for a three night, I could have gone on ncl five times for the same price but I like the service. My kids are adults but we love Disney so we indulge. My room was almost $3000 most three nights are in the the same range no price"break" for me.

I think they should have engaged with their guests not kept area cut off so people couldn't use them. Most of all communication would have rectified quite a bit, let people use the internet to rebook flights an cars, open up the travel planners that I was 53 in line (at 1500'when they opened) for that closed at 2100 the previous night but called my stateroom at midnight to let me know I was next! So I never was able to book onboard and receive a credit.

Bummer all around, the only ones I can tell that aren't complaining booked late flights , which depending on destination isn't an option for all travelers, or they were able to travel by car.

One more thing I forgot to add in my response. I work for an airline and understand maintenance better than the average consumer. My frustration did not come from the inconvenience but from their lack of response. Tell us what is going on, we knew at 845 while eating dinner i on the royal court something significant just happened it was loud and rattled our table, it wasn't until after the 1030 bag cut off that they made an announcement at 1050 that we would be late . In the morning they made one announcement at 800 and that's it.

Typically you would over communicate in these types of situations, it left us wondering what to do, pay the zillion dollars for internet so we could redo our car and air travel? And to what time? Clearly I don't use Disney for air but cars cost a ton to keep hourly.

They could have been proactive and done some care while we waited like snacks or even handed out suits to the kids so they could play in the water. That would have cost little s and saved a lot service wise.

Having experienced issues with air travel in Miami less than a month ago, I assure you the air industry is FAR from communicative UNTIL THEY HAVE THE PLAN IN PLACE. We were delayed boarding while they "fixed" a mechanical issue, pulled back from the gate only for the pilot to discover that the mechanical issue was NOT fixed. Headed back to another gate because ours was in use and sat on the plane for 45 minutes while they tried to figure out if we were going to be able to leave or if they had to get a new plane. FINALLY tell us to disembark and the gate agent will have information for us. The gate agent did not, but told us just to stand there and wait. THEN we all got text notifications and app notifications a full 10 minutes before she got a phone call at the gate. They then could not tell us ANYTHING about how long until we boarded, so it was on you to decide if you wanted to risk going to get food or not. So please don't pretend that the air industry is perfect in communication about things.

I repeat the question I asked earlier. Would you rather they made announcements and then changed them hoping people paid attention or get things in place and settled before making them?

Having experienced issues with air travel in Miami less than a month ago, I assure you the air industry is FAR from communicative UNTIL THEY HAVE THE PLAN IN PLACE. We were delayed boarding while they "fixed" a mechanical issue, pulled back from the gate only for the pilot to discover that the mechanical issue was NOT fixed. Headed back to another gate because ours was in use and sat on the plane for 45 minutes while they tried to figure out if we were going to be able to leave or if they had to get a new plane. FINALLY tell us to disembark and the gate agent will have information for us. The gate agent did not, but told us just to stand there and wait. THEN we all got text notifications and app notifications a full 10 minutes before she got a phone call at the gate. They then could not tell us ANYTHING about how long until we boarded, so it was on you to decide if you wanted to risk going to get food or not. So please don't pretend that the air industry is perfect in communication about things.

I repeat the question I asked earlier. Would you rather they made announcements and then changed them hoping people paid attention or get things in place and settled before making them?
I am sure it wasn't an 8 hour wait for an update. I would always rather be communicated with up to date information as they get it. Many travelers wouldn't have kept their luggage like we did only to be told move it around for the last few hours.

Again not complaining about mechanical issues no biggie it happens but how you respond sets you apart from your competitors. DCL didn't shine.

I realize DCl has no obligation, but since they brag about there customer service so much I would kind of expect them to do something. I wouldn't ask for anything, but if I was on that cruise and walked away with nothing I would have a negative opinion of Disney's customer service. Most company's aren't obligated to do a lot of things, but they will if something is their fault. It's how you get a good reputation and keep customers. When the Carnival Fantasy was delayed leaving port until 9pm due to mechanical issues they gave everyone 25% off a future cruise and 50.00 OBC. I would expect Disney to do something similar. Carnival has it's share of problems, but they are pretty good at taking care of customers when things go wrong due to their ships breaking down. I also thought they handled the whole hurricane Mathew thing much better then DCL.

I know passengers on both sides got dinged by this - missed flights, delayed boardings, etc. Standing on the bow and sailing to sea is an important part of the first day experience to me, and the cruise would definitely have been lessened by missing that (though I probably would have forgotten it by the next night if all went well!). I worry about those who made private arrangements on Tortola, especially if they pre-paid. It's not always easy to contact somebody, and there's no way to avoid a steep cell phone cost if you just call instead of email. Indeed, with St. Thomas moved, that's also a loss for private bookings.

I do hope Disney gives them some acknowledgment (via credit or discount) that they recognize passenegers' time is valuable. At the same time, as a passenger, it's important to have a plan B and adequate back up to protect for that. I ended u not needing it, but that why I bought Cellular at Sea pass my cellphone carrier provides. Just in case.

The ones I feel the most for are the missed flights and the potential for that to have screwed up other things at home. I work on Sundays. I Would not be happy getting in late Saturday or even the next day and the cost would not be fun.

I do hope Disney acknowledges that, but it is a risk of sailing.

I am sure it wasn't an 8 hour wait for an update. I would always rather be communicated with up to date information as they get it. Many travelers wouldn't have kept their luggage like we did only to be told move it around for the last few hours.

Again not complaining about mechanical issues no biggie it happens but how you respond sets you apart from your competitors. DCL didn't shine.

In my most recent case, no. But I have had that issue with multiple hours between updates with a different airline which is really popular on this board but which I will never fly again because the same thing but worse happened on their second chance with me.

If I read your post correctly, at least some of the 8 hours was overnight - people would have been just as miffed if not more that they were awakened. Especially if things are not settled. Neither airline really shined, but one was less tarnished than the other.

Regarding luggage, that was your decision. Personally if I already knew there was an issue (and we knew on here before 10, so...) I would have put it out. (FWIW, they WILL get it after the cut-off. They just don't advertise it because then people would be putting it out later and later.) Then again, I put mine out anyway because I'm not paranoid about people handling it - this even after it HAS been lost on a non-stop flight and it WAS put in the totally incorrect section by RCCL - so that would have been a non-issue. You would have had to schlep it off anyway.

What do you consider lower price point? I paid quite a bit for a three night, I could have gone on ncl five times for the same price but I like the service. My kids are adults but we love Disney so we indulge. My room was almost $3000 most three nights are in the the same range no price"break" for me.

I think they should have engaged with their guests not kept area cut off so people couldn't use them. Most of all communication would have rectified quite a bit, let people use the internet to rebook flights an cars, open up the travel planners that I was 53 in line (at 1500'when they opened) for that closed at 2100 the previous night but called my stateroom at midnight to let me know I was next! So I never was able to book onboard and receive a credit.

Bummer all around, the only ones I can tell that aren't complaining booked late flights , which depending on destination isn't an option for all travelers, or they were able to travel by car.

$1740 per person in a Cat T with no obligatory stop in Nassau, just 2 days at Castaway Cay, is very low for this sailing. Concierge was sold out within the week this sailing was released.

No word from any current passengers on how the ship is performing? I saw the speed but that's all I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter