Fanny Pack for fluffy gals?

I bought a hip pack from Sipsey Wilder and love it. The shape has a little more style and it's made to hang to the side so it doesn't seem as bulky. The strap is plenty long enough to create as much or as little draping as you want.

If you want to wear a fanny pack, I agree with PP and say wear what you want and don't worry about anybody else. People at Disney are focused on their own concerns and their own fun, and probably aren't taking the time or energy to judge what other people are wearing.

But I think fewer people are wearing fanny packs than in the past, which may make them harder to find if you are shopping for one. If you aren't looking for one with a pretty print, maybe see if you can find one which is being marketed to men? I would think that if it's a solid color, it wouldn't seem masculine or feminine. I hope it's not hurtful for me to say that. I'm someone who likes a neutral solid color for my bags. But I know other people who prefer Vera Bradley or something like that.

I switched from a fanny pack to a tote bag when I started carrying more stuff around with me. Cell phone, portable charger and cable, sunglasses, wallet, lip block, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, tissues... a tote bag works better for me. I like the LL Bean Everday Lightweight Tote in medium size.
Actually, I believe they are making a comeback. I'm seeing more advertisements with ppl wearing them. Who knew!!

Wear whatever fits your purpose. Have you SEEN what people wear at DW? No one cares as long as you like it.

I've had a Disney Fanny pack for at least 20 years (we've been going since Poly opened). They have never gone out of style and seem actually more popular even now.
Funny story......I spent winter snowbirding in Cocoa Beach 2020/2021 and the first thing I bought from Dollar General was a Cocoa Beach Fanny pack to make walking the beach for shells easier. And it was fluorescent pink. My husband could see me from the 6th floor condo.

Enjoy!

If you can find a comfy one that will fit all your stuff in it go for it! I went the money belt route this last trip and was able to tuck it under most of my looser fitting shirts so it wasn't looking all funky in pictures.
Whatever suits your purpose and does not cause discomfort is fair game in my book...how else do you explain crocs? :laughing:

My whole family wore lumbar (fanny) packs this trip. DH and I are both a bit fluffy. They were comfortable! The hiking-style lumbar packs (REI or other outdoor store or Amazon, sometimes) have good padding and ventilation. MUCH more comfortable and cooler than a backpack and it was surprising how much they can hold. Also really easy to access stuff if you keep it in front. I kept mine pushed further down on my hips because it was easier for me to carry the pack weight that way all day and I occasionally wore it like a cross-body (but I liked the weight distribution still better than a typical cross-body which hurts my neck).

Update- My Fanny pack came today. I asked My husband on a scale of 1-10 how it looked. 1 was “you look totally ridiculous and I’ll pretend I don’t know you” and 10 was “daaaaaang girl, why didn’t you buy that thing years ago.” He gave it a 4…. Which for theme park gear I felt pretty good about. 🤣 It’s a go!

I am pooh sized and have purchased two different fanny packs for a future trip. Both can be converted to a cross body fairly easily. One is cloth and wraps against me with no pockets jutting out. The other is see through, thought maybe it would be easier to go through security with it and maybe not have to open each zipper. Plus it will be easier to use at other events that require see through bags.

I would recommend wearing it to the grocery store, shopping, etc. to see how they fit, if they hurt your back, hips, etc. I wore my cloth one the other day to the grocery store slung from my upper right hip to my lower left hip and my lower back was hurting by the time I got home. I'm going to try it higher up on both hips next to see if it's better that way. I normally wear a cross body so I may end up wearing it as one.

Have a great trip!

I’ve never worried too much about theft at WDW but I use a cross body bag for my travels. It has a metal rope inside the strap so it can’t be slashed off, an RFID pocket for passport and/or CCs, two expandable exterior water/soda bottle pockets, and multiple zippered pockets with security snaps.

I’ve never worried too much about theft at WDW but I use a cross body bag for my travels. It has a metal rope inside the strap so it can’t be slashed off, an RFID pocket for passport and/or CCs, two expandable exterior water/soda bottle pockets, and multiple zippered pockets with security snaps.
Would you share what brand it is and where you purchased it?

Would you share what brand it is and where you purchased it?
It is a PacSafe MetroSafe that I bought on Amazon. I think REI also carried them. There are various sizes. Mine is about 9” wide by 11 “ high—maybe the LS200? I’ve had it several years now and it still looks good. You’ll see me wearing it next month at WDW.

I like crossbody and fanny packs. Sometimes my shoulder just needs a break from the strap of my crossbody (probably due to Overstuffing lol) I see many with fanny packs and who cares what others think etc. If you don't like it in the pictures just turn it to the back of you. Comfort is always #1 for me while at Disney

I just went to Sheels to get a Fanny pack and ended up instead finding a canvas cross body small purse that is adorable and small but enough for my wallet, inhaler, lip balm and Tylenol and maybe another couple small items. I really was debating between sticking with a Fanny pack or this and because I’m also fluffy I went against it. Totally personal choice and intention was the Fanny pack! We also carry cooler backpacks and I figured also my teens might be willing to carry a crossbody before a Fanny pack if they help for a while.

I am a very fluffy guy and I broke down and got a Mickey Mouse fanny pack earlier this month and I LOVE it. They are sold out on ShopDisney, but there were several stores in the parks that had them. This thing holds SO MUCH stuff. Depending on what your needs are, this might be able to replace your backpack and/or purse, etc. It's very spacious.

I resisted buying it because I had that negative connotation about fanny packs being the height of uncool, but I got over that pretty quick. This thing is on my fluffy hip every time I'm in WDW.

Just search for Mickey Mouse Sketch Hip Pack on Google to see the one I'm talking about. I would post the link, but it seems disboards won't let me.

I'm a bigger girl but I use a crossbody bag and just adjust the strap so it fits my waist. I love it because I'm not taking a backpack on and off and can easily access my stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter