Eyescans at MCO?

Dementia

Mouseketeer
Iris Scanning To Begin At Orlando International Airport

POSTED: 11:14 pm EDT May 11, 2005

UPDATED: 12:17 am EDT May 12, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Florida's busiest airport will begin using high-tech iris-scanning technology to filter out possible terrorists and add an additional layer of security, according to Local 6 News.

People at Orlando International Airport will have both irises scanned at special computers to determine their identity.

"This will be an additional layer of information that is enrolled, which will be biometric information," OIA director of security Brigitte Rivera Goersch said. "Employees irises will be enrolled for the additional layer of security."

The Airport Access Control Pilot Program or AACPP is a first of its kind, according to the report.

A person would be required to stand in front of a special mirror and have both eyes scanned.

"It has to verify both irises, not just one iris," Goersch. "Statistically it is very reliable. Iris scanners -- the technology of iris scanning -- is considered one of the most reliable biometric technologies."

"You know just like we did with the airplanes with the cockpit doors and air marshals and all of that kind of stuff," federal security director Art Meinke said. It is just another step to try to figure out what can we do better."

Local 6 News reported that the 90-day test could be expanded and eventually moved to airports throughout the nation.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

http://www.local6.com/news/4479554/detail.html

My question is this: Do contact lenses (specifically colored contacts) affect this scan?

The article says "workers and other people" - I can't imagine that means ordinary passengers.

Thank goodness for that. Could you imagine the commotion for that? lol

All of this just reminds me of the first Charlie's Angels movie, where they did the eye scan using modified contacts. I guess that's why I was curious about the contact thing... that and I wear colored contacts. Not that I'll be working at OIA, but just curious.

For identification purposes the computer would have to have your iris biometrics on file to compare the scan so this appears to be for employees and possibly vendors and contract personel NOT the general public.

All visitors from the UK have to have there finger prints taken and photos taken on arrival in the US. This is in addition to either using the visa waiver system or if you have been arested in the past (arrested, not convicted!) you have to have a visa. This means travelling to the US embassy in London, paying £60 ($110) and waiting in line for hours before being interviewed).

The US is also insisiting that from October this year all UK newly issued passports should contain biometric data (finger prints, iris scans and digitized facial data. If our passport office is not ready to issue these new biometric passports, then anyone needing a new passport after October will have to get a visa!

The visa waiver form we have to fill in already goes a long way to identify terrorists - one question on the form is:

"Have you ever been involved in terrorist activities - Yes or No"

So any terrorist trying to enter the US will instantly be identified ;)

The visa waiver form we have to fill in already goes a long way to identify terrorists - one question on the form is:

"Have you ever been involved in terrorist activities - Yes or No"

So any terrorist trying to enter the US will instantly be identified

Sound like the same person who wrote the stupid IRS tax questions.

Not verbatium. Did you have any income from illegal activities?

or my favorite: Would you like to pay more tax than you have to?

Can you imagine the intelligence level of the people who say yes to these questions. :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter