Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

The other side is to ask is if free parking really is free, in a cliched "no such thing as a free lunch" way. We don't know one way or the other how the room rates break down, things like "free" transportation, dme, etc have real costs that Disney likely isn't just absorbing out out of goodness of heart, but these things are likely paid for from room rates. Parking may be one of those things that is included and allocated from room rates. If it is included and charging parking a la carte helps slow down rising room rates, is that a bad thing?
That's just it though. They are Raising the cost And adding the parking fee! They aren't keeping the cost lower.

Plus, of course it's already baked in. Think about it. Are they really going to give you something for free and not have it hook back to them somewhere?

I can't believe the "well I fly so why should I pay your parking? " Umm they already have the prices raised, so they Are charging you. Its just people who physically Park a car are going to be charged twice.

And raising the extra adult per room an extra $10 per Night, you have to pay $100 more if you see a blip of water even a pool.

If we don't draw the line, what other "Reasons to stay on site" will be expendable? Who is to say it won't continue on?
Oh, like pool access that'll be $, use the bus to that's $4 a trip, you'd like extra magic hours that's an extra, want to watch night time parade $ (we don't have one currently so who knows), need a fast pass that's $ or want early acess that's $ more, magic bands well now you can get those at a discount for staying at the resort...

I'm pretty sure a lot of these reasons to stay are already baked into the price.

Last edited:
I think the problem here...to put it simply...is that the disney Hotels are already double what they should cost as far as services...and I'm not trying to shock and exaggerate. They fall far under the upscale chains and classic hotels and don't provide anywhere near the service. Sometimes the ambience makes up for it...sometimes the rubber meets the road.

With the amount of price increase in simply the last decade...Parking has been paid for 100x over. It's just a straight profit rate increase...nothing more.

Exactly, and as has been said time and again with many things, it isn't as if Disney will adjust room rates DOWN if they decide to break parking out from being "included" in the current price of a room. And don't get me started on if they "go there" with DVC owners, as this is what I expect to pay for with maintenance every year.

Fact is that as another PP said, city hotels tend to charge for parking when hotels in suburbs and beyond do not, it's a simple space/$ factor. The Disney area is somewhat of an anomaly, with hotels like Swan/Dolphin and the Downtown and Bonnet Creek Hiltons charging as more of a deterrent than anything else (to stop folks from parking for free and hopping on their buses to the parks.) Disney doesn't need this deterrent, as they already have security sitting at every hotel parking lot entrance identifying guests. If anything, charging for parking would be a way for Disney to clean up on both ends: to not have to employ these security guards (they could automate the whole thing, check the Bonnet Creek Hilton for an example), while taking more $ out of guests hands.

Beyond a money-grab/cost-savings, I really don't see a reason for Disney to do this now. Every resort I've been to in the last 5 years, with one exception, I've had no issue finding a convenient parking spot. That exception is Boardwalk, and oh guess what, Disney dug their own hole there by marketing the Boardwalk area as an mini-attraction unto itself.

I knew it was coming. And your 6 Super Bowls too. Went to school out that way (IUP). I have no great animosity to the other side of the state. In fact, I find most of us on this side, don't think about your side too much. You may own the cups, but head to head, you really have nothing to stand on.

Lol...you just reaffirmed what I learned in the valley and everyday since...

...no understanding of what's important...nothing changes

In terms of football and hockey...the eastern half of that state should take the smack across the face and then say "yes, mother...may I have another?"

...there's no comparison.

I'll give you a pass though.

I don't park - including at my thousands of other hotel stays. I use mass/private transit when I travel. I won't even road trip to my folks place on the gulf which is like 6-7 hours away - I fly. That's my preference. There are tons of travelers like me. I just know charging for parking is pretty standard; its part of hotel stays. Same with resort fees - IMO, normal cost of traveling. I can't think of a hotel in Vegas that doesn't charge both and they're steep, like $35 pn resort fee. WDW has bundled this, ME, internal transit as part of their value prop. They're changing that paradigm now. You can be upset about the increase, but parsing it is the thing I don't get. I mean you couldn't pay me to use ME when I can get a car service - should I be charged less because I'm too inpatient for ME? I've also used a car service a TON of times when their was a bus service. If I walk out and the MK bus is shoving off, I'm in a towncar/cab in 30 seconds. I think there are a number of people like me who see those as lovely add-ons, but I could be wrong. Again, my experience is my own. Doesn't make my way right OR wrong, works great for me.

I agree that Disney is changing that paradigm now.

Once parking is no longer free,
they can start charging for the Magical Express.

Some guests will not pay for ME.
Perfectly understood!

Many guests use ME every trip,
finding it convenient.
The resort airline check/in
is another convenient perk.

They could probably charge $20 per person
for ME.

They could still advertise ME as a unique
Perk,
An available(for a small fee)
Perk of staying onsite.

I think the problem here...to put it simply...is that the disney Hotels are already double what they should cost as far as services...and I'm not trying to shock and exaggerate. They fall far under the upscale chains and classic hotels and don't provide anywhere near the service. Sometimes the ambience makes up for it...sometimes the rubber meets the road.

With the amount of price increase in simply the last decade...Parking has been paid for 100x over. It's just a straight profit rate increase...nothing more.
Many of us choose to justify some of the "double" cost by the ambiance, or other included perks because a lot of us (still) believe Disney isn't just like everywhere else.

When they start making it like everywhere else, it makes me less enthused about visiting it. I don't care if everywhere else charges for parking. There are reasons I'm not going everywhere else.

If Disney charges for parking, then I want to start getting hotel reward points - just like I do at "everywhere else."

Validation is commonplace in cities and towns across the country. It's as big of a pain as inserting a ticket into an exit arm or handing it to an attendant. Now if you are trying to cheat the system, then yeah, it's a pain.

I don't like to hang on to receipts and prefer to decline them in general so I don't have a bunch of paper cluttering my purse.

Many of us choose to justify some of the "double" cost by the ambiance, or other included perks because a lot of us (still) believe Disney isn't just like everywhere else.

When they start making it like everywhere else, it makes me less enthused about visiting it. I don't care if everywhere else charges for parking. There are reasons I'm not going everywhere else.

If Disney charges for parking, then I want to start getting hotel reward points - just like I do at "everywhere else."

Great point

It's all two sides of the same coin, the difference is how charges are presented. "lower" upfront cost with add-ons vs. higher all-inclusive, Disney is going to profit either way. I put lower in quotes there because, yes, I agree it's expensive for what is received. My wife and I are bringing out toddler daughter for her first trip next year and we'll be staying at either Bonnet Creek or Vistana Resort because I couldn't justify on-site accommodations after comparing costs.

Hypothetically, would it be easier to swallow as a gift card for declined services? Say, Disney builds into it's pricing model a price increase that allows it to offer a guest a $100 gift card for a family of 4 to decline dme, parking, and mousekeeping for the week (or smaller amounts if wanting to keep some services hut not others). Maybe everyone pays $30 more for the week but some people declining services get $100 back. Again Disney makes it's money either way but it may not appear as abbrassive.

Look at the bright side: Think of all the limited time "free parking" offers that will sure to be thrown our way in the near future! Nothing sucks a moth to a flame quicker than a nice Freebee. I can hear the masses now:

"Praise the lord and pass the potatoe salad - Disney just offered free parking! Betsy, you better pack your bags quicker than a jack rabbit on a hot date - we don't want to miss this one. Disney's so magical - last month free dining, this month free parking! What's next, free oxygen? Wonder how they make any money giving everything away for free..."

Valid points

Look at the bright side: Think of all the limited time "free parking" offers that will sure to be thrown our way in the near future! Nothing sucks a moth to a flame quicker than a nice Freebee. I can hear the masses now:

"Praise the lord and pass the potatoe salad - Disney just offered free parking! Betsy, you better pack your bags quicker than a jack rabbit on a hot date - we don't want to miss this one. Disney's so magical - last month free dining, this month free parking! What's next, free oxygen? Wonder how they make any money giving everything away for free..."

Yup!
That's hilarious and unnerving at the same time.

Last edited:
the rates go up every year 5% give or take...

Which means it's compound interest combining all the previous increases.

Can't wait to see what happens when they decide that there's no moderates or values and shift them all up...woah boy.

Moderates and values were created under Eisner SPECIFICALLY to develop a repeat customer base that would never stay away.

My early pick for today's award

Free parking is currently a perk of staying on site and it's marketed by Disney as that.

I'm kind of surprised that so many people seem to be content to ditch that perk and start paying for it.

The "hey, we usually pay for parking everywhere else" explanation doesn't really work for me because this isn't "everywhere else." It's Disney World and resort guests have not had to pay for parking at Disney World. That's the precedent.

You know what else you have to pay for everywhere else? Buses. If the previously complementary buses suddenly cost money, would so many still have the same "oh well, just like everywhere else" response?

Seriously, and a lot that is targeted at business travelers who expense their costs. Yeah if I'm on business travel, and they say you can stay at these recommended places, I don't really care if they charge for parking because it's not my bill. I just want my king bed and a lounge within walking distance. But on personal travel, I'll likely balance the total cost of the stay with the amenities and location like any normal person. The whole pitch for WDW resorts being a bit more expensive is you aren't charged for the extras, it's already factored in. Certainly at a huge or moderate markup, but it's factored in. When you add that additional fee for your own resort that erodes the "value" that much more. And who's gonna be cool with paying $20 a night to park their minivan at Pop Century or All Star Music because the monorail resorts and The Boardwalk or overcrowded? It makes no sense in this context.

Congrats, you made me splatter coffee all over my monitor...

Seriously, and a lot that is targeted at business travelers who expense their costs. Yeah if I'm on business travel, and they say you can stay at these recommended places, I don't really care if they charge for parking because it's not my bill. I just want my king bed and a lounge within walking distance. But on personal travel, I'll likely balance the total cost of the stay with the amenities and location like any normal person. The whole pitch for WDW resorts being a bit more expensive is you aren't charged for the extras, it's already factored in. Certainly at a huge or moderate markup, but it's factored in. When you add that additional fee for your own resort that erodes the "value" that much more. And who's gonna be cool with paying $20 a night to park their minivan at Pop Century or All Star Music because the monorail resorts and The Boardwalk or overcrowded? It makes no sense in this context.

To be fair...the only thing they ever promise is "immersive magic"

They've made no claims on fees and were careful not to 16 years ago (hint)...

We just have really gotten used to the policy of little upcharge. And that was a deliberate strategy too. But now they are sucking every drop to make up for lost espn money (can't say that enough) and the clown in charge is gonna retire on a moments notice.

Fundamental shifts to the Walt disney company. It can't be overstated.

To be fair...the only thing they ever promise is "immersive magic"

They've made no claims on fees and were careful not to 16 years ago (hint)...

We just have really gotten used to the policy of little upcharge. And that was a deliberate strategy too. But now they are sucking every drop to make up for lost espn money (can't say that enough) and the clown in charge is gonna retire on a moments notice.

Fundamental shifts to the Walt disney company. It can't be overstated.

I'm not saying they "promised" anything. Corporations just aren't capable of it. But they do say "here's what we offer in compared to the other guys" and that's what people pay attention to. Let's not forget, for every one person who lives where they have to pay for parking everywhere, there's 10 of us from the suburbs or the boonies who balk at the idea. Jim Bob and Sue ain't gonna be happy when they find out this year they have to spend $20 a day to park their conversion van in the CBR parking lot and pay that $275 a night peak summer or spring break rate.

Personally, I haven't got any skin in this particular game. I don't drive and if I did I think I'd be immune at least for a while. But once again, the prospect of corporations behaving badly irritates me. What bothers me even more is the "well others do it so they can too..." rationalization tactic.

I admit that I do not drive when I visit WDW< so some of the fees do not pertain to me or my family, but I still have an opinion. At some point DIsney needs to decide how they want to run their resort. Does Disney want to continue the perception that this is as all inclusive as possible, selling resort stays and dining plans as the means to encourage visitors to allocate the lions share of their vacation dollars to DISney resorts, shops, restaurants, and parks, or do they want to implement a pay for play aspect to their vacation destination? They cannot have this both ways.

This is exactly what I meany by paradigm change. Thanks for being focused enough to say it properly.

What bothers me even more is the "well others do it so they can too..." rationalization tactic.

It's not like anybody thinks its a terrific idea. I don't have a car on any vacation, but I still don't like people getting charged for crap they haven't in the past. I'm simply flummoxed that it hadn't happened before since it is pretty industry standard, within hotels and the parks. I mean you could get charged for parking on both ends - if you stay off-site, at a middish class hotel like the Grand Cypress, you DO pay twice.

I do see it as a possible Disney pricing change to make the WDW experience en toto more ala carte, and I'd super be down for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter