Extra night at the GF?

sjv919

Mouseketeer
We got an amaaaazzinnggg deal on the Grand Floridian over Labor Day weekend (Friday August 30th-Monday September 2nd), and are driving in the evening of the 29th from Tampa. We are considering extending our stay by a night and hitting the GF when we drive in Thursday night, even though all we'll do is eat dinner and then crash (leaving right after work, we'll be tired lol). Or we would otherwise stick to our original plan and just stay in one of the DTD hotels for the night and switch over in the morning.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions to share with me on which way I should do it?

Having done both (crash cheap on first night/add a full price night at the resort), I really prefer the second. The $$ I might save on the first night isn't worth losing a full, continuous, uninterrupted, relaxing Disney experience.

I'm a stay cheap on the travel night, because it is a travel day, type person and don't see wasting the funds if the day can't be fully enjoyed and being tried from traveling. So I would say save the money stay somewhere cheap and do something that evening like a nice dinner show and then check in the next day at Disney.

I agree with greengeen that I would add that Thursday night at the GF. I think getting in Thursday night and relaxing/unpacking is worth the extra money over saving a little and having to move the next morning. Plus getting in the night before you know your room will be ready upon check in, which may not be the case Friday morning and you might have to wait for your room.

I've often thought about spending that first night in a cheap place (we arrive between 8pm - 11pm usually), but I'm always glad when we check into our resort instead and start our vacation right away. When we get up in the morning, we are already set and we can have a quick breakfast and go to the parks instead of switching hotels and wasting that time.

We are spending our first night at Pop. Don't have to unpack. I'll have my Jammie's & a change of clothes in my carry on. First thing in the morning all I have to do is drive over to GF, drop luggage with bell service, check in and go off to a park. I can be at a park for rope drop. The $$$ savings for that 1 night is worth it for me. But everyone's "worth" is different.

I would want to get there and settle in. Have dinner there or on the monorail. Even though you will be sleeping you will get all those extra hours the next day.

I would rather check into the GF that Thursday evening rather than having to get up the following day and then check-in and possibly have to wait until 3pm to get into my room.

I'm the queen of second guessers. We are lucky to be able to drive so no airfare, but a seven hour drive. I have booked us in a value or moderate or even out on I Drive in the past then moved over and checked in at our deluxe the next morning. Back in January we had two rooms booked at AKL starting Jan 2 with a good discount, but were coming down on Jan 1 to pick up our daughter in Tampa after the Outback Bowl. AKL rooms were $450 each for that night but the Dolphin was $200 per room. We stayed at the Dolphin and then hubby and I schlepped the luggage to AKL while the teens went to a park. It took us close to three hours to get everything settled and moved over there and actually get our rooms that connected and the keys worked and everything. For this upcoming trip I booked POR for the night before and then Polynesian for the remainder of our vacation. Well, remembered how long our quick move took in January and changed it to the Polynesian. Yes it cost a lot but truthfully, convenience matters when you take short frequent trips like we do. If it's financially doable, I'd recommend it. It's so nice to wake up fresh and just head straight to a park!

It depends on how much the extra night at the GF would cost as compared to the hotel u are staying at at DTD? How much would u be saving by going to DTD?

If you were staying a week or longer, I would say go with the least expensive option the first night. Then move over to GF. It really takes a few days to settle in. With your shorter stay (which I am sure will be wonderful), I would not want to break it up by changing resorts. JMO.:goodvibes

Like the previous poster indicated, the amount saved would be a big factor in my decision making. I'm always looking for ways to save money so we can splurge on snacks and meals and souvenirs without my worrying about the cost. I think the trick to the plan of DTD the first night is to be extremely well organized: have a single overnight bag with toiletries in a smaller, transferable bag so that checking out the first morning is a breeze. That bag (minus the toiletry bag) goes into your car trunk, you drop off your other bag(s) at GF in the morning and then you are off and running.

Having done both (crash cheap on first night/add a full price night at the resort), I really prefer the second. The $$ I might save on the first night isn't worth losing a full, continuous, uninterrupted, relaxing Disney experience.

This!

Thanks, everyone, for your responses and things to think about! We think we've decided to do the Hilton in DTD for the night, so we're right there anyway and we can spend what we save on shopping or dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter