extended warranties

Did you buy (or will you) the extended warranty on your digital camera?

• Yes, and I would again. It's a great idea.

• I did but not sure if it was worth it...

• Maybe I will or I will think about it.

• No, I did not but should have...

• No I did not and I never would.

Results are only viewable after voting.
my thoughts on this..

I have never sold a lens to buy another one, the only lens I've parted with, was given to a wonderful friend, as payback for a huge favor she did for me, it was a lens I had owned for 2 years and never used because it was 1 of 3 that I had that covered the same focal length,

the reason I don't oart with lenses is , it's never a bad thing to have a backup lens in case of an accident..

my thoughts on this..

I have never sold a lens to buy another one, the only lens I've parted with, was given to a wonderful friend, as payback for a huge favor she did for me, it was a lens I had owned for 2 years and never used because it was 1 of 3 that I had that covered the same focal length,

the reason I don't oart with lenses is , it's never a bad thing to have a backup lens in case of an accident..

Wow! Do we know this person? :rolleyes1

Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a card replaced under the SanDisk lifetime warranty and if so, what your experience was like? Did they replace the card?

A month ago I had a problem where old photos would show up in the middle of a new batch that I was uploading them to my computer. I had formatted the card in camera before use, I had turned the camera off before removing the card and uploaded with a card reader.

This has happened on two different occasions. I have been able to figure out the card that did it most recently, but I'm not sure if this is the same card that I had problems with earlier this year.

I'm not concerned about getting the missing images back at this point, but I would like to ensure that it isn't going to happen again while shooting something that's actually important.

This probably does not apply to you, but be aware that the term "lifetime warranty" can be deceiving. The lifetime is the company's arbitrarily expected life of the product. I believe Sandisk is a ten year (could be wrong), but I believe most "lifetime" brands are five years.

This probably does not apply to you, but be aware that the term "lifetime warranty" can be deceiving. The lifetime is the company's arbitrarily expected life of the product. I believe Sandisk is a ten year (could be wrong), but I believe most "lifetime" brands are five years.

Good info. That's what I figured, that my lifetime was not what they were referring to---otherwise most people would just keep on recycling their old crappy cards for new ones. Mine is less than a year old, so hopefully they'll just be nice and give me a new one!

It's as long as the original purchaser owns the card. It's 10 years in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

It's as long as the original purchaser owns the card. It's 10 years in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Our wonderful laws here in the US mean that the manufacturer can call a lifetime whatever they want. We have many laws that allow consumers to be deceived by marketing.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a card replaced under the SanDisk lifetime warranty and if so, what your experience was like? Did they replace the card?

Yes, I had one replaced a little over a year ago. After calling SanDisk, speaking at length with someone with a strong not from the US accent, going through putting the card in and out of the camera and locking the camera up numerous times, I did get a replacement. That tiny little thing came in a HUGE box. I then had to mail the old one to them.

I remember telling DH after being on the phone with SanDisk, it would have been easier and less aggravating just to go buy one!!!

Our wonderful laws here in the US mean that the manufacturer can call a lifetime whatever they want. We have many laws that allow consumers to be deceived by marketing.

I'm guessing you haven't actually read their warranty text then. I pulled it from http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3019. Specifically, "Warranty Period: Lifetime (for as long as the original purchaser owns the card)/10 years in Europe, Middle East, and Africa"

I'm guessing you haven't actually read their warranty text then. I pulled it from http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3019. Specifically, "Warranty Period: Lifetime (for as long as the original purchaser owns the card)/10 years in Europe, Middle East, and Africa"

You missed my point. I do not even own a Sandisk. I was just wanting to point out that, in the USA, the term lifetime warranty typically does not mean you can buy something at age 20 and have it replaced at age 100 under warranty. While we do have many good consumer protection laws, there are many loopholes that companies can take advantage of (including Disney) and not get in trouble by deceiving their customers. Sandisk is one of the best in the biz, so they might actually do it, but good luck finding your proof of purchase after 20 years. The current crop of SD, CF, etc memory probably will not even be made anymore in 10 years.

When the company simply says "lifetime", I agree that it's mostly marketing. The point here is that Sandisk does spell out what they mean by the term.

For those of you who have bought a Nikon D40 or Nikon D60 (or actually any DSLR), do you also buy an extended warranty? I was just curious if you think it it worth it or not. Thanks

I have not bought a warranty for any of my cameras since the price is mostly to high. The cost of the warranty should not be more then 10% of the purchase price.

Dave pirate:

I don't buy extended warranties on electronics. For devices with a significant mechanical aspect, I make individual decisions. I always buy the extended warranty on refrigerators with ice makers. For some reason, they just can't build reliable icemakers.
The above has always worked for me, until my Sony superzoom. No mechanically significant content, so I didn't buy the warranty.Two months before the three year extended warranty would have been up, the shutter buttron popped off!
My new camera is a Nikon D5000-significant mechanical content. I bought the three year extended warranty from Nikon-about $90.
I also insured it-about $10 per year.

After months of looking, researching and waiting for a deal I finally bought my first DSLR!!! I got the Nikon D3000 with the 18-55VR for $477. Should I buy the extended warranty? I declined it at the store when I got the camera, but a friend told me I should reconsider. She said she normally doesn't buy them either, since they are usually rip-offs, but for her cameras it's worth it. Now, I'm sure her camera's are pricier than mine. What do you think?

I think it's a personal decision. Are you risk averse? Is $477 a significant amount of money to you?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Extended warranties are priced to be highly profitable for all products (it's not as if it's a better value for cameras--they are priced accordingly). The store wouldn't be selling it at a cost that would potentially lose it money.

I bought it from Ritz. At my house,between the dog and the boys, everything breaks eventually. Supposedly, I'm covered against anything (including water) except fire and lost/stolen. The guy at the counter said I could bring in a bag of broken pieces and as long as the serial # is in there somewhere, it would be replaced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter