Explorer's hotel and male swim suits

slg

DIS Veteran
Can someone give me the rules on the male swim suits allowed in this pool? Are they only bikini speedos or are the tight fitting speedo trunks allowed? (I'm not sure how to explain this...do you know what I mean?)

We booked this hotel for the pool and I read all the reviews on Tripadvisor and nothing was mentioned about this rule. Now all of a sudden it seems to come up and none of my boys (3) and my DH want to wear the bikini speedos!

I'm rather cross about this. Is this a rule at all the pools? Would a Disneyland Hotel pool have the same rule?

I as a bit worried about this last year but my family wore swimming shorts and nobody commented on it - in fact there were more swimming shorts than speedos in the pool.

I don't think it was a problem last year, but this seems to be a new rule!

I was hoping to hear from someone who had been there recently.

Lots of public swimming pools in France ban board shorts and other types of swim shorts that could also be classed as 'outerwear'. Men tend to wear the skimpy speedos or tight-fitting trunks like these

http://images.sportsdirect.com/images/products/35205403_l.jpg

Assuming Explorer's Hotel is following the example of the public pools, I've bought trunks similar to these for my husband & 3 sons for our trip next month.

Last year, the hotel website said that only tight-fitting trunks were allowed, which is why I was worried.

What's the reason behind such a ridiculous ban?.. if anything, normal trunks are far less "revealing".....

Something about hygiene? Apparently shorts can be worn all day and that brings dirt into the pool?

I don't think they care about revealing...

I sent an email to the Explorer's. Curious as to what they say.

The photo of the pool definitely has some men in swim shorts.

Can someone give me the rules on the male swim suits allowed in this pool? Are they only bikini speedos or are the tight fitting speedo trunks allowed? (I'm not sure how to explain this...do you know what I mean?)

We booked this hotel for the pool and I read all the reviews on Tripadvisor and nothing was mentioned about this rule. Now all of a sudden it seems to come up and none of my boys (3) and my DH want to wear the bikini speedos!

I'm rather cross about this. Is this a rule at all the pools? Would a Disneyland Hotel pool have the same rule?

Just back from a stay there and the rule is definitely enforced (it must be recent as we've stayed before and it wasn't in place then). They actually have a vending machine for you to purchase the correct shorts if you don't have them.
They need to be either the speedo style or the cycling shorts style .

This rule is quite common throughout France (and Italy too I am led to believe). It is more that the Disney properties are slwer in enforcing it than the public pools etc.

There are two reasons why gents are to wear closer fitting swimwear. One is that boardshorts and bermudas are worn as outerwear and bring a lot of detritus into the pool and clog up the filter systems.

The other is that there have been a couple of cases of the legs of loose fit shorts being sucked into the fliter systems and causing injury or even drowning in the past.

Upshot is you either wear your Daniel Craigs or don't go in the pool in many piscines in France. My hubby and son always take a pair each in case they encounter such a rule even though it would not be their swimwear of choice. They figure though that nobody from home will see them and once you are in the water in fact, nobody will see them.

This is the reply I received from the hotel:

"Thank you for your email. We understand your confusion over our swim wear policy. It is true that in our pictures the men are wearing swim shorts, those photographs were taken at the opening of the hotel when the policy did not exist.

In compliance with new French health and hygiene laws we have a strict swim wear only policy. Our swim wear policy for men is either swimming briefs, or swimming boxers (please see the photos below taken from the Decathlon website).

I hope these pictures will help to clear up any confusion, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact our guest service department on either; 0033.1.60.42.60.15, or; frontoffice@explorershotels.com.

We look forward to welcoming you all at the end of this month.

Best regards,

I expect the reason it was never the policy before was because the Explorers was originally a British hotel, first My Travel then Thomas Cook. Now it's owned by a (can't remember the name!) European firm.

OMG! This is crazy --- my husband most definitely wouldn't wear anything tight. He's from Idaho!

Might not matter anyway as the pools are closed when we're there in Nov. Are there hot tubs/jacuzzis at any of the resorts?

Yes, Disneyland Hotel, Hotel New York, Newport Bay and Sequoia Lodge out of the Disney hotels. There's swimming pools at the Dream Castle and Magic Circus hotels but I'm not sure whether they have hot tubs too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter