Expiring points extended

as @CarolMN said, I was talking about previously banked points from the 2018 UYs. That category of points will now expire for June UYs on 11/30/20 due to the extension, while points in that category for later UYs will expire earlier than 11/30/20. That category of points will expire on 7/31/20 for Aug UYs and 8/30/20 for Sept UYs, which is why I used the term leapfrogging.

With regard to the points you made in the rest of your post I agree with you. Since April and June UYs had no chance to bank when the shutdown hit, I think allowing those UYs to late bank was appropriate.

However, I think it is important to note that did not cause any leapfrogging. 2019 June UY points that were allowed to be late banked now expire 5/31/21 and 2019 Aug UY points that were banked under the previously existing rules expire on 7/31/21.

I was thinking more about it and no matter what they do, other than giving all banked points 6 months extension, someone gets more time than others,

Even if everyone got extended to what June UY did, Dec UY would be given no extension, because they have until that date, October only gets 2 months, Sept with 3, and Aug with 4.

To me, if resorts are open, that then would become an inconsistent policy, and not sure how they justify it.

Right now, it’s consistent in that the resort closure is guiding the extension, with the expiration happening during a closure , If they are open, then really, no need to extend becsuse points are eligible for booking, doesn’t matter if someone can’t travel or if there is limited availability.

Now, of course, DVCM can decide to extend others if they want, but I don’t see it as long as resorts are open

I was thinking more about it and no matter what they do, other than giving all banked points 6 months extension, someone gets more time than others,

Even if everyone got extended to what June UY did, Dec UY would be given no extension, because they have until that date, October only gets 2 months, Sept with 3, and Aug with 4.

To me, if resorts are open, that then would become an inconsistent policy, and not sure how they justify it.

Right now, it’s consistent in that the resort closure is guiding the extension, with the expiration happening during a closure , If they are open, then really, no need to extend becsuse points are eligible for booking, doesn’t matter if someone can’t travel or if there is limited availability.

Now, of course, DVCM can decide to extend others if they want, but I don’t see it as long as resorts are open
Agreed, some UYs will get longer extensions than other UYs (and some UYs will get no extensions) under what I proposed. However, no UY would be leapfrogged.

The leapfrogging is why I have been saying since it was announced, the current policy is not right. (see the link below to go to my full post where I first said that, and note the ETA I quoted from that post was made on Saturday 4/25/20) However, I now wish I would have said an minor issue compared to the current policy.

ETA: Aug UY might complain why do June UYs get a 6 month extension, and we only get 4 months. Sept UY might complain why do June UY get a 6 month extension, Aug UY get 4 months and we only get 3 months. (Etc. for October UY who would only get a 2 month extension)
However, as long as the earlier UYs do not have their 2018 banked points extended further out than later UYs I think that is a minor issue.

Last edited:
Agreed, some UYs will get longer extensions than other UYs (and some UYs will get no extensions) under what I proposed. However, no UY would be leapfrogged. The leapfrogging is why I have been saying the current policy is not right (see the link below to go to my full post, and note the ETA I quoted below was made on Saturday 4/25/20)

Correct, but it really just a different spin on the same argument, April and June UY getting something other UYs are not. To be clear, they are.

So, while it would benefit someone like you who wants To travel in November, a Dec UY person might be able to travel in January, and is left out from an extension when other got it for reasons other than resorts closed when points expire. They could say that you got 16 months to use those banked points, and they still only get 12: whether it’s a leap frog or not, when resorts were open during your window after the closure.

The idea makes it just another decision which would be deemed as “unfair” depending on your particular UY

Again, nothing they do will satisfy everyone and will affect different people differently. But, if resorts dont open in June or July, Aug UY will be included.

Of course, one can always hope!

The expired banked points are not showing up online, Owners have to call to use them,,,they are being transferred into the account. If they are truly the owners actual expired points, why wouldn’t they simply been put back?

Okay now I get the correlation that you are talking about.

They actually aren't giving them the points back. Instead they are actually giving the owners who call points out of their developer bucket.

Did I hear right that the developer points are no longer being offered on new contract purchases as well? in that case seems like your thinking is accurate.

Correct, but it really just a different spin on the same argument, April and June UY getting something other UYs are not. To be clear, they are.

If DVC had extended 2018 banked points for April and June UYs only until 7/31/20 I would not be making the argument that Aug and Sept UYs should have the expiration date on their 2018 banked points extended.

I get how upending some of the rules could be upsetting to some, but when nothing else in the country is doing business as usual, it's an unreasonable expectation that DVC would choose to ignore current realities.

Except DVC members "own" a real estate interest they are not just a customer.

I think its very important to remember this is not a hotel reservation, your local grocery store, or other things where you are just a customer. You actually own something that is being impacted with a change in rules. There has been more than a few people posting on this forum that either don't understand that or have forgotten that.

I will leave it at that. I will repeat again whatever DVC does is what it does as long as its not illegal. I am not upset with what they came out with as its doubtful I will be impacted because I will just take steps to avoid that.

If DVC had extended 2018 banked points for April and June UYs only until 7/31/20 I would not be making the argument that Aug and Sept UYs should have the expiration date on their 2018 banked points extended.

That is a fair point. They didn’t have to choose 6 months..although in reality, April is getting at most 4 months.

Flip side, they may also know that they won’t be opening until Aug UY and will extend those when that happens, but now don’t have to go back and extend again for April and June.

We have no way of really knowing why they decided what to do.

as @CarolMN said, I was only talking about previously banked points from the 2018 UYs. That category of points will now expire for June UYs on 11/30/20 due to the extension, while points in that category for later UYs will expire earlier than 11/30/20. That category of points will expire on 7/31/20 for Aug UYs and 8/30/20 for Sept UYs, which is why I used the term leapfrogging.

With regard to all the other points you made in your post, I totally agree with you. Since April and June UYs had no chance to bank when the shutdown hit, I think allowing those UYs to late bank was appropriate, and I also do not feel even slightly put out by that decision.

However, I think it is important to note: the decision to allow late banking did not cause any leapfrogging. 2019 June UY points that were allowed to be late banked now expire 5/31/21 and 2019 Aug UY points that were banked under the previously existing rules expire 2 months later on 7/31/21.
Got it. Makes sense.

I think its very important to remember this is not a hotel reservation, your local grocery store, or other things where you are just a customer. You actually own something that is being impacted with a change in rules. There has been more than a few people posting on this forum that either don't understand that or have forgotten that.
Under "normal" circumstances, our views would be quite similar. But...
I think it's also important to remember that it was not the members misunderstanding of what they purchased that changed the rules. This was done by DVC and I just happen to think they were right to do it. It's fine to disagree with that decision but it really had nothing to do with understanding or misunderstanding contracts.

facebook twitter