Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

What about people who work in NY, but live in NJ. Or is this just by plane with the testing?

What about people who work in NY, but live in NJ. Or is this just by plane with the testing?
No restriction on those coming from NJ, PA or CT as the governor says that would hurt the NY economy.

Ugh - the news report first says the new policy replaces the 14 day quarantine requirement. "
According to the news, "Now, the state's new policy requires travelers must have tested negative for the virus within 3 days of their arrival to New York and have proof of the test. Then, once they've arrived, travelers must quarantine for three days. On the fourth day, travelers must get tested for the virus again"
Then, it says (at the very end): "If travelers choose not to get tested at all, they must remain quarantined for the 14 day period"
Apparently, the testing is a requirement ONLY if you don't quarantine for 14 days..........????
https://cnycentral.com/news/local/g...st-all-travelers-must-get-tested-for-covid-19
According to the Executive Order, you can still just quarantine for 14 days. The order starts off by stating that someone coming in from one of the states on the list must quarantine for 14 days, then it says UNLESS, and goes on to list the other options regarding testing. So if someone would rather skip testing and just quarantine for 2 weeks, they still can.

Ah, the ever-changing world we live in! I almost thing the quarantine is easier than all the testing! We have decided to cancel so all my wondering at the start of this post was for naught. Can't wait for 2020 to be over and hopefully we can all turn over a new leaf.🤞

What is going on? This makes no sense. I live in NY and traveling to Disneyworld in mid-November. I made all my plans around 14 quarantine when I got home. Got permission to work from home and everything was set.

If I'm reading this correctly the new order states that everyone must get a negative test result 3 days before flight into NY. Then once in NY it's your decision if you want to get a test on the 4th day & end quarantine early (if test negative). Or, skip 2nd test and stay home for 14 days.

How in the world am I supposed to do this with no rental car? Are tests coming back on time or is there a wait? Who do I show a negative test to? When I land in NY? Wouldn't this be placing an unwanted strain on Florida's resources at a time when they need to prioritize their citizens?

We got back Tuesday (10/27) - flew into Newark. No form to fill out. JetBlue flight attendant made an announcement on the plane to check with JetBluetravel.org Or something (to find out if any quarantine is required, etc.) - could barely understand him. He had a heavy accent.

While waiting for our flight out (10/20) - there was an announcement over the PA asking arrivals to text a number to find out about quarantine measures/rules, etc.

After we got home, now, Cuomo came out with the COVID test if you don't want to quarantine - DH and I are at home/retired. We won't be babysitting either for at least another week. We are not wandering around anywhere. Not taking a test unless we are/feel sick.

What is going on? This makes no sense. I live in NY and traveling to Disneyworld in mid-November. I made all my plans around 14 quarantine when I got home. Got permission to work from home and everything was set.

If I'm reading this correctly the new order states that everyone must get a negative test result 3 days before flight into NY. Then once in NY it's your decision if you want to get a test on the 4th day & end quarantine early (if test negative). Or, skip 2nd test and stay home for 14 days.

How in the world am I supposed to do this with no rental car? Are tests coming back on time or is there a wait? Who do I show a negative test to? When I land in NY? Wouldn't this be placing an unwanted strain on Florida's resources at a time when they need to prioritize their citizens?
If you still wish to do the 14 day quarantine you are allowed. I’ve read quite a few news articles about it, as well as Cuomo’s executive order. This is being instituted for people who want to get out of quarantine early. But if you’ve planned for the 14 days, you can still do that with no testing needed.

We flew home to Buffalo Friday night. The National Guard was at the exit of the secured area handing out (unsanitized) clipboards. They said one form per family, even though the form asked for individual specific information, and then the young man told me to just put my name, phone number, and flight number. Nothing else. No phone calls or texts from the health department, but likely because its the weekend. I also wonder how the new order announced on Saturday will impact us, and whether we will be permitted to go for a test on 11/4 to get out of the remainder of our quarantine.

Thank you. I havent read the new updates yet. I am arriving in NJ but live in NY. What does this three day test prior mean, we show the airline before being able to get on the plane? Guessing flights to NJ I am guessing is different.
Its my understanding that in MA, there is an option on the form you complete upon return home that you're still waiting on your results and then you'd be required to submit them once you receive them (results are received via email). I would imagine NY will have a similar option. Because many testing sites take longer than 3 days to get you the results, there has to be an option for people who have not received them before traveling.

Fly into New Jersey, or Connecticut rent a car and drive into New York. Simple
We live in Buffalo, which is in north-western New York. The closest airport in NJ or CT is a 7+ hour drive for us. But even then, we're still required to complete the traveler form when driving in. The traveler form asks if you've been in an affected state within the last 14 days - so anyone coming from FL (or wherever else) would have to honestly answer yes to that question, making the fact you're driving in from NJ or CT a moot point. The quarantine and testing would still be required. Not so simple.

See my response above - there will likely be an option for people to submit test results upon receipt assuming they are not received prior to traveling. It also affects any of the 45 states on the current travel advisory list, not just FL. Without a rental car, your only option would be Uber/Lyft. Its certainly an inconvenience to have to arrange the appointment, go get tested, and pay for Uber/Lyft during your vacation, but I guess its better than the alternative of not going at all. IMO, its a better option than the 14 day quarantine, especially for people who don't have the ability to work from home.

I would just go by the official statement on the NYS Dept of Health site. The news reports were very confusing when I was looking. The testing is only in place of the quarantine, if you so choose.
I agree it is very hard to do if you are on vacation and don't have a car. Also time away from your actual vacation to go get your whole family tested. Also makes me feel you are exposing yourself to possible "germs" when you could just stay in the Disney bubble.

I think this is only for people who need to travel and really can't quarantine for whatever reason.

We decided to cancel at this time - our 2nd cancellation this year. Not worth the risk and the hassle. If cases weren't rising everyday I wouldn't have an issue.

Flew into NY 10/28 @ 4:30 PM. Took a state Covid-19 test at U Albany 10/29 @ 11:30 AM. 10/30 about 5 PM was texted that I was negative. Today 11/2 was called and informed that even though the test was negative I could only go to the office and back home until 11/11. Just got a text asking if I had any symptoms of covid-19.

I would just go by the official statement on the NYS Dept of Health site. The news reports were very confusing when I was looking. The testing is only in place of the quarantine, if you so choose.
I agree it is very hard to do if you are on vacation and don't have a car. Also time away from your actual vacation to go get your whole family tested. Also makes me feel you are exposing yourself to possible "germs" when you could just stay in the Disney bubble.

I think this is only for people who need to travel and really can't quarantine for whatever reason.

We decided to cancel at this time - our 2nd cancellation this year. Not worth the risk and the hassle. If cases weren't rising everyday I wouldn't have an issue.
As of right now we are going to travel as planned. This trip has been canceled & rescheduled 3 times. I feel confident to fly Southwest from Islip, NY to MCO with middle seat empty for the rest of November.

I am probably deluding myself in that I feel “safe” or at least a manageable risk in traveling. I can always cancel if this changes.

I did end up renting a car. This way we can avoid some group transportation. Plus, the more I think about it I will plan on getting COVID test 3 days before going home.

Hopefully NY state will announce more details as this policy goes into effect on Wednesday. I will get tested both before and after arriving in NY but will probably stay home for 14 days anyway. I had already arranged work for this & I’m stocked up for groceries & all supplies so it’s no hardship.

Flew into NY 10/28 @ 4:30 PM. Took a state Covid-19 test at U Albany 10/29 @ 11:30 AM. 10/30 about 5 PM was texted that I was negative. Today 11/2 was called and informed that even though the test was negative I could only go to the office and back home until 11/11. Just got a text asking if I had any symptoms of covid-19.
Yeah unfortunately the new requirements don’t go into effect until Wednesday and it’s only for people that arrive in NY on Wednesday or later.

If there is a way to get testing in Florida without having a car, it would be better for us. I can do the 14 days, but it will take me right through Christmas. More incentive to be Christmas ready by early December.

We flew into NY on 10/30. I called the Covid hotline yesterday to see if we could test out starting today, when the new requirements are effective. They told me no, I'd have to complete the 14 day quarantine, as the new requirements are only for travelers arriving today and going forward. Sucks for us! Makes no sense.

If there is a way to get testing in Florida without having a car, it would be better for us. I can do the 14 days, but it will take me right through Christmas. More incentive to be Christmas ready by early December.
You would have to Uber or take a taxi. Its my understanding there are testing sites that aren't far, but you'd be responsible for getting yourself there and back.

You would have to Uber or take a taxi. Its my understanding there are testing sites that aren't far, but you'd be responsible for getting yourself there and back.
Some sites are drive-thru only. One would have to confirm that a particular site accepts walk-ins, or find a driver willing to wait in line and thru the testing process.

Also, most private sites state that they test "according to CDC guidelines", which I believe means either symptomatic individuals or essential workers. CentraCare, which is near DS, says testing requires a visit with one of their doctors.

Some sites are drive-thru only. One would have to confirm that a particular site accepts walk-ins, or find a driver willing to wait in line and thru the testing process.

Also, most private sites state that they test "according to CDC guidelines", which I believe means either symptomatic individuals or essential workers. CentraCare, which is near DS, says testing requires a visit with one of their doctors.
Of course, and some sites are by appointment only as well. But to answer the PP's question as far as transportation, that would be on the individual to figure out if they decide to proceed with testing in lieu of quarantine.

I would also add that non-state run sites typically have a cost associated with the tests as well. Here in NY, we can go to a private site to get tested without symptoms or a doctor's referral, but we would pay for whatever charges the private site has (i.e. office visit if an urgent care) plus the cost of the test, if your insurance doesn't cover it. My insurance only covers testing for people with a doctor referral or with symptoms, so it would cost $150+ per test per person if we chose to go this route.

I just called Advent Health CentraCare Lake Buena Vista, which is the location I believe you're referring to, about an hour ago. They say they can do a rapid test even if you're asymptomatic. I'm planning on getting a test there next week.

Under newly implemented state rules, most passengers flying into New York must have taken a coronavirus test that came back negative within three days of boarding the plane.
“You should not land if you do not have proof of a negative test,” Cuomo added.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/gov-c...utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
I just saw on our local news here in upstate NY an explanation of this. You are still allowed to quarantine for 14 days if you do not have a negative test when you return to NY. In spite of what our great Governor is implying he does not have the power to ban you from entering your home state.

I just called the hot line number on the NY state website and confirmed you do not have a test to come back into NY state if you are flying and a NY resident. You will to quarantine for 14 days. If you do deicide to have a test in FL before leaving the state, you do not need the results, just that a test was performed. You will need to produce the results for that test along with the test on day 4 as negative to stop the quarantine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter