Everything Rope Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did rope drop at DHS several times last week. TOT/RNRC are held on Sunset Blvd in lines starting at around 8 am (for a 9 am opening) and they let you start riding at 8:30.

MFSR is held by Indiana Jones and at 8:30 they start walking you into GE through the Grand Ave tunnel entrance by Muppets. They build the queue as they walk you and it's pretty much straight on from there. But it is a longer walk/load time than some of the others.

MMRR is held to the left of the theater and again they walk you in/build the queue at 8:30 and start running the ride.

We did not do it, but I believe SDD/TSMM are held to the right of the theater/headed to TSL.

Honestly after my last trip, I would rope drop slinky dog or Mickey and Minnies rather than smugglers for 2 reasons, Smugglers is Air conditioned and indoor line and its a heavily themed and entertaining line(you can play the app game). The wait for slinky dog is exhaustingly sunny and gets ridiculous throughout the day and doesn't let up until way late. Mickey and Minnies is good too but I don't think you really get much of a shorter wait by rope dropping since almost everyone goes to it first.

We have two Hollywood Studios days for our August trip scheduled and plan on rope dropping Smuggler's Run the one day. Just curious which direction is recommended when going through the park. Looks like you can get there through Toy Story Land, while also going through the Muppets theater side. We haven't been to Disney since before the Star Wars land opened.

Any recommendations?

The 2nd HS day, we plan to rope drop Mickey Railway.

Following along, we are also going in August and have two HS days. We plan to rope drop Smuggler's one day and MMRR the other. My family is willing to skip SD this trip.

Honestly after my last trip, I would rope drop slinky dog or Mickey and Minnies rather than smugglers for 2 reasons, Smugglers is Air conditioned and indoor line and its a heavily themed and entertaining line(you can play the app game). The wait for slinky dog is exhaustingly sunny and gets ridiculous throughout the day and doesn't let up until way late. Mickey and Minnies is good too but I don't think you really get much of a shorter wait by rope dropping since almost everyone goes to it first.
We were not far back in line for MMRR at RD, but also not in the very front. Maybe in the first 100-200 people? Plus, we broke down for about 5 minutes and still were able to make it to TOT and RNRC that morning and do them before 10 am. We did SDD and TSMM at night in the last hour and were able to do both. We actually had lights on for SDD, so we were glad we did it that way.

Can anyone offer insight into RD for DHS from Art of ANimation? Which is a better bet, Skyliner or bus?

This sort of applies to rope drop: should we Uber vs renting our own car for our 11 day trip in late December into January this year. We are staying at the Coronado Tower, as I've done some research I'm finding this is a tough hotel for bus/shuttle service. We want to be very early, rope drop as many parks each day. Any thoughts or opinions on Uber (most of the time) vs renting a car?

We were not far back in line for MMRR at RD, but also not in the very front. Maybe in the first 100-200 people? Plus, we broke down for about 5 minutes and still were able to make it to TOT and RNRC that morning and do them before 10 am. We did SDD and TSMM at night in the last hour and were able to do both. We actually had lights on for SDD, so we were glad we did it that way.

Does seem like SDD is best to do late. Its very reminiscent of Big Thunder.

This sort of applies to rope drop: should we Uber vs renting our own car for our 11 day trip in late December into January this year. We are staying at the Coronado Tower, as I've done some research I'm finding this is a tough hotel for bus/shuttle service. We want to be very early, rope drop as many parks each day. Any thoughts or opinions on Uber (most of the time) vs renting a car?

Look up car rental rates... they are insane. It depends on what your options are though and if you need car seats especially. Me with kids, I prioritized getting a hotel where we could monorail or walk to each park. If it were me as just adults I would definitely Uber.

Something else to keep in mind is also the cost of parking at your resort. I started looking into renting a car to offer dining options outside the parks for our upcoming trip but between cost of rental car + parking fees it just was not worth it to me. I will use Disney transportation and choose Uber occasionally if needed.

Which ride should I go for if I do rope drop at HS?

Millennium Falcon Smuggler’s Run
Mickey and Minnie railway
Skinny roller coaster

?

Skinny roller coaster

?
Assuming you mean Slinky Dog Dash, I’d do that first IF you are close to the front of the pack. Otherwise the line builds very fast and you’ll have a long wait.

Skinny roller coaster

?
Assuming you mean Slinky Dog Dash, I’d do that first IF you are close to the front of the pack. Otherwise the line builds very fast and you’ll have a long wait.
Any one of those 3 will have a line that builds pretty quickly. MMRR does have 45 minute waits later in the day. We were able to rope drop it and then get to TOT and RNRC before either one built up a considerable wait. We did SDD in the last hours for a shorter (and cooler) wait. MFSR I believe also is a bit shorter last hour of the day, and it has a single rider line.

Any one of those 3 will have a line that builds pretty quickly. MMRR does have 45 minute waits later in the day. We were able to rope drop it and then get to TOT and RNRC before either one built up a considerable wait. We did SDD in the last hours for a shorter (and cooler) wait. MFSR I believe also is a bit shorter last hour of the day, and it has a single rider line.
Agreed, and that’s what I said do SDD but only if you’re near the front of the crowd, since (as you said) SDD has consistently long lines throughout the entire day whereas the other 2 do see some shorter waits later in the afternoon. So SDD is the rope drop choice if you can get there early enough, otherwise I wouldn’t waste RD on it.

So when rope dropping, first three rides should be????

Planning on Rocking Rollercoaster and Tower last -- right before closing.

So when rope dropping, first three rides should be????

Planning on Rocking Rollercoaster and Tower last -- right before closing.
if you can get on SDD first thing, I’d do the other 2 TSL rides while you’re there. Though TSM may already be backed up if if you’re not towards the front of sdd line.

If you do millennium falcon and your BG is not up, try for star tours, or head into TSL and go for the as2 and tsm.

if you can get on SDD first thing, I’d do the other 2 TSL rides while you’re there. Though TSM may already be backed up if if you’re not towards the front of sdd line.

If you do millennium falcon and your BG is not up, try for star tours, or head into TSL and go for the as2 and tsm.
We are currently on our third Hollywood studios day. I highly recommend arriving very early. We have found different procedures each time. We are driving and on Sunday they were not allowing cars to line up for entrance to parking. We were made to circle around. Tuesday and today, cars were lining up at 7:45. If you were at a resort, I would say take the very first bus available! Entrance procedure was different today as well. Earlier this week we had been held at security until 8 o’clock. Today they were letting people thru security before 8. We were held at Mickey scanners until 8.
We chose to rope drop rock and roller coaster. We were at the front of the line Tuesday and today. After rockin roller coaster, headed to Tower of terror for a reasonably short wait. I think they were done with both rides by 9:05 on Tuesday. Might be shorter today sense it appears that they started letting people right at 8:25. We went to Mickey and Minnie right after and had a 25 minute wait on Sunday. Tuesday we went to toy story mania for 3rd ride and waited about 25 minutes as well. Not sure I’d recommend that as that doesn’t seem to get very high throughout the morning. By the time we got to millennium falcon, wait was posted at 95, we waited 70. Each day we have had a boarding group so that has been great. Slinky dog is not a priority for us. If it is for you, I would go there immediately at park opening. As people have said, it is a brutal queue in the blazing sun and stays triple digits almost all day. We felt that rope dropping Hollywood studios was much more productive than Magic Kingdom. That’s why we’ve done it three times of our 6 day ticket even though Magic Kingdom is by far our favorite park. It’s so frustrating to rush to get there at rope drop and be in 60 minute lines after your first ride.

Just a reminder that Millennium Falcon has a single-rider line. We did Toy Story land first, getting all 3 rides before 9:30. Headed to MF and the line was 90 minutes, but we WALKED RIGHT ON in the single-rider line! It was awesome!

My experience with trips this past February and April was that all 4 parks were letting guests in, and on attractions, 30-45 minutes before posted opening time. I just read MK is allowing guests IN the park, but holding at rope-drop locations until official park opening times. Is this just happening at MK, or other parks now too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter