Every Mile is a Miracle

I feel you on the mental game. Like, how often am I on here encouraging people to own their goals? But then I looked at my training plan and calculated out the pace Billy thinks I can do my half in and I was too chicken to write it out when I asked to have my race added to the list on the running thread. Ugh.

You, however, can totally dominate a 10k. Look at what you did with your half and that GIANT HILL. You've put in the work and you've got the fitness. You'll get it done, I'm sure.

Also, that trail picture looks exactly like a trail that I run on when I'm in Arizona visiting family. It's one of my favorite spots to run.

Like, who am I to think I can run a 10k under an hour?

Someone who has put in a lot of hard work and done everything it takes to be successful.
At the end of the day ... you can't know what will happen on race day. But you're very prepared and I think you're in a great place to run a sub-1 hour 10K! I'm really excited to see how it goes!

Beautiful pics!

Race nerves are the worst and sometimes they just suck all your self confidence away. Trust in your training! You are more than ready to run your fastest 10K ever.

Seriously... could you have more beautiful views?? So pretty!

So I often struggle with the mental aspect of racing... questioning literally everything. And then after the race, I wonder why I was so worried. I always remind myself that running should be FUN and I have nothing to lose by trying for a goal! You'll do great!! :)

Week 9 DBP#2 Report 4/23 - 4/29
Mon 4/23 – Rest day
Tues 4/24 – 5 mi @ EA (11:57)
Wed 4/25 – 5 mi @ EB (11:10) + Strides
Thurs 4/26 – 1 mi @ WU (12:42) + 2 miles @ T Pace (9:17) w/3 min REST + 2 mi @ T Pace (9:17) + .5 mi @ CD (12:42)
Fri 4/27 – Rest day
Sat 4/28 – 5 mi @ EB (11:10)
Sun 4/29 – 3 mi @ LR (10:48) + 4 mi @ M Tempo (10:02) + 2 mi @ LR (10:48)

Monday: Rest day! I literally live for my rest days now.

Tuesday: Slow and easy.
Plan: 5 mi @ EA (11:57)
Actual: 5.03 @ 11:51
Splits: 11:36, 11:36, 12:28, 12:08, 11:37

Wednesday: Easy run, strides felt good.
Plan: 5 mi @ EB (11:10) + Strides
Actual: 5.03 @ 10:52
Splits: 10:50, 10:55, 10:58, 11:04, 10:29 (strides)

Thursday: Second to last hard workout of this training plan and it definitely delivered in the hard category. I even needed a pep-talk from Coach afterwards, but he made me feel so much better about it. First 2 mile interval was hard, but I was going too fast, by the ended I was toast. 3 minute walk interval and then on to the second 2 miles. That break was much needed and gave my legs some life that got me through the second interval that then felt too slow while holding on to my T Pace.
Plan: 1 mi @ WU (12:42) + 2 miles @ T Pace (9:17) w/3 min REST + 2 mi @ T Pace (9:17) + .5 mi @ CD (12:42)
Actual:
1 mi @ 11:11
2 mi @ 9:03
3 min WALK
2 mi @ 9:17
.5 mi @ 11:43

Friday: Rest day!!

Saturday: I got my miles in at what I thought was early, but the sun was already burning hot. These miles were toasty and I walked for a bit going uphill. Then I powered through the rest.
Plan: 5 mi @ EB (11:10)
Actual: 5:03 @ 11:19
Splits: 10:57, 10:53, 11:41, 12:09, 10:49

Sunday: I always have one really awesome run on the weekend and this was the ONE. I was a little scared of it at first, having to swap from LR to M Tempo and back. I didn't know how I would do. I was worried about the heat again, especially because I left later than Saturday. But I got out there, I fueled properly (Nuun & banana beforehand, Gu at mile 3) and by the time the M Tempo interval came around I felt great! I busted out 2 miles, took a short walk break to drink some water, then did the last two. By the time the last LR interval happened I felt like I could run forever. I had trouble slowing back down to my LR pace. It just felt so perfect. Love runs like this.
Plan: 3 mi @ LR (10:48) + 4 mi @ M Tempo (10:02) + 2 mi @ LR (10:48)
Actual: 3 mi @ 10:55 + 4 mi @ 10:04 + 2 mi @ 10:33
Splits: 10:22, 11:29 (stairs), 10:54, 9:48, 9:54, 10:46, 9:49, 10:15, 10:52 (stairs)

Pretty successful week for me! I have one week left of this training plan: HELLO TAPER/RACE WEEK! I heard someone call their race a "victory lap" for their training and now it's my new favorite thing because it is so true. The last 9 weeks have been the work I put in for this race and I know that my work is gonna pay off. Time to prove it and bask in it. Victory lap, here I come!

But you know, not until I finish this last week of training. Still got one good speed workout this week!

Upcoming Training:
Mon 4/30 - Rest day!
Tues 5/1 - 4 mi @ EA (11:57)
Wed 5/2 - 2 mi @ WU (12:42) + 4 x .5 mi @ T Pace (9:17) w/1 min RI + 1 mi @ CD (12:42)
Thurs 5/3 - 4 mi @ EB (11:10)
Fri 5/4 - Rest day!
Sat 5/5 - 3 mi @ EB (11:10) + LOTS OF TACOS
Sun 5/6 - RACE DAY!! Spring Recycled 10k!!

Last edited:

Solid week! I've got your exact same (well, at my paces) Thursday workout tomorrow, and I'm not exactly excited for it. Sounds like it was tough but doable for you, which you should be super proud of. Loving that Sunday run. Almost victory lap time!!!

I'll be eating tacos vicariously through you. MMMMM...

April Totals:
Miles Ran - 127.1 (PR for me!)
Total Time - 23:03:03
Average Pace - 10:52

April Goals Re-Cap:
- Get the house unpacked and livable: Not quite...
- Start meal prepping!! Like really.: NOPE
- Keep eating more fruits & veggies: Need to work on this more
- Drink 64oz of water a day: YUP
- Swim 2x: Nope
- Bike 12 miles: Nope
- Walk the dogs once a week: Yup, we started taking them on short evening walk/hikes
- Hourly workouts M-F at least 4x a day: YUP

April was a great month for training. I kept up on all my workouts, even if some of them weren't fun. We are still trying to unpack boxes, it's a slow, boring process. I really want to start meal prepping on Sunday nights but usually by Sunday night I am just done with life and want to do nothing, so that happens. Which means all my mornings before work are frantic and I should just stop being lazy and meal prep. I don't believe in dieting, I just want to incorporate better decisions into my diet. I was doing really well at the beginning of the year but this past month I have gotten lazy. I am still down the 10 pounds from January but I didn't lose anything this month and that bums me out. On top of that, I did mini workouts during work where I did planks, push-ups, crunches, and squats M-F, 4-7 times a day. I ended up doing over an hour of planks total this month and all I have to show for it was half an inch gone from my waist. BOO. I am sure my core got something from it and that probably helps my running, but still I would have rather seen more progress. So in spite of that, I didn't do any today at work. And now I feel guilty. Anyway, water intake is at an all time high, which is helpful because summer is creeping in here. Also, the city decided that city employees can now do lap swim at the aquatic center for free so I picked up my pool card today! I think my recovery week will be well spent at the pool after my race on Sunday!

May Goals:
- PR @ 10k race on Sunday
- Run sub:60 @ 10k race on Sunday
- Figure out DopeyBadger Plan #3
- Swim once a week
- Drink 64oz of water daily
- Meal Prep
- More Fruits and Veggies in diet
- Get under 160lbs

May isn't gonna be too crazy for us. I am just hoping for a lot of time spent with family, reading, sunbathing, swimming, and running. We also have a trip to Portland, OR planned for a 3 day weekend that I am looking forward to so much! Our friends are already asking if I want to run while I am there (duh) and that they know some good trails (YAY).

Mostly, I just wanna hit that PR, sub:60 10k goal.

Sounds like an awesome month! (also note to self: need to do planks... i'd be thrilled with half an inch gone.) Your May plans also look lovely, and I'm jealous of Portland, I've always wanted to go. I'm so excited to see how this race on Sunday goes for you!

Sounds like an awesome month! (also note to self: need to do planks... i'd be thrilled with half an inch gone.) Your May plans also look lovely, and I'm jealous of Portland, I've always wanted to go. I'm so excited to see how this race on Sunday goes for you!
I just hate that most of my weight hangs out around my belly so it's always like the last thing to go when I lose weight. Darn you Italian genes!! This will be my first trip to Portland! I am so excited!

I really like that you set monthly goals for yourself. I should think about doing that. Maybe my June goal can be to make a set of goals for July :rolleyes1
:rotfl:
You sound like me and to-do lists...
"Make to-do list" - CHECK

Just for the record ... "weekly to-do list" is a regular item on my to-do list. Because I've been making to-do lists every week for like 4 years now, so I definitely need a reminder to make a to-do list...

I am doing my weekly check in early because I only have one workout left in this training cycle and then RACE DAY!

Week 10 DBP#2 Training Report 4/30 - 5/6
Mon 4/30 - Rest day!
Tues 5/1 - 4 mi @ EA (11:57)
Wed 5/2 - 2 mi @ WU (12:42) + 4 x .5 mi @ T Pace (9:17) w/1 min RI + 1 mi @ CD (12:42)
Thurs 5/3 - 4 mi @ EB (11:10)
Fri 5/4 - Rest day!
Sat 5/5 - 3 mi @ EB (11:10) + LOTS OF TACOS
Sun 5/6 - RACE DAY!! Spring Recycled 10k!!

Monday: Rest day + some hiking with the family after dinner! It was really cool this week, so it was perfect hiking weather. And really it's just following a dirt trail behind our house to the desert to watch the sunset. But I don't care about the technicalities.

Tuesday: Still cold outside, so I am glad I didn't put away my long sleeve tech shirts just yet. It dipped into the 50s and had some wind. This run was actually a tough one. I feel like I have been on a rollercoaster the last few weeks, where I feel awesome, then I feel like the worst "runner" on the planet. It's been rough mentally. Like yesterday I was all about it and today I am worried about my race again. Anyway, this run hurt. I walked a lot. I stretched and rolled after and just carried on with my day.
Plan: 4 mi @ EA (11:57)
Actual: 4.03 mi @ 13:06

Wednesday: I wore a long sleeve shirt AGAIN because why is there a cold front in the middle of spring in AZ?! But don't you worry, it will be in the 100s again this weekend. This was my last speed workout of this training cycle, so headed to the track. I was really looking forward to this workout a lot. The 1/2 miles are less intimidating than anything more than that, so I felt confident in my abilities. I did have some headwind on one side of the track so that sucked. But all-in-all this was a perfect last speed workout!
Plan: 2 mi @ WU (12:42) + 4 x .5 mi @ T Pace (9:17) w/1 min RI + 1 mi @ CD (12:42)
Actual:
2 mi @ 11:28
.5 mi @ 8:55
1 min slow
.5 mi @ 8:52
1 min slow
.5 mile @ 8:39
1 min slow
.5 mi @ 8:45
1 min slow
1 mi @ 11:57

Thursday: On Monday, I jotted down to buy some beet juice to try before my workouts this week (because the internet said it would make me faster). Well I forgot to try it on Tuesday and Wednesday, but finally remembered Thursday (thanks to a note from my husband). First off, it didn't taste terrible. I was shocked. Secondly, it could be a totally placebo thing, but I felt GREAT during this run. Third, I am totally taking a shot of it before my race Sunday.
Plan: 4 mi @ EB (11:10)
Actual: 4.02 @ 11:02

Friday: Rest day!

All I have left is one easy 3 miles and then the race! I will post more details on the race in a bit. :)

Pre-Race Report - Recycled 10k (Sunday May 6th)

About the race:
This specific race is held twice a year by the BBCS Endurance Running, who holds events all throughout the Southwest region of the US. I have done one other running event and a Triathlon with this company. Both really good events. This event is their Recycled Race, where all of the shirts and medals they hand out are leftover from previous year's events. It's a cool concept. If you get a medal from an event you participated in they will let you trade it out. I think I should be safe though. They have a 5k, 10k, and Half Marathon going on Sunday.

Bib Pick-Up: Saturday we will be heading up to Vegas after Bay's little league game in the morning. I am trying to plan it just right so that we get to packet pick-up right at 12pm when they start since we will have the dogs in the car with us. Then we will be headed straight to my parent's house for the rest of the night.

Race Outfit: I am stressing because I am a procrastinator. I always want to wear something cute on race day, but I slacked on ordering a new festive shirt. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do Cinco de Mayo themed or Recycle themed. Luckily I have a plethora of sparkle skirts, so I am sure I will come up with something easy. My main goal is to be as cool as possible. But also look cool while doing it. ;)

Weather: Soooo, you know that cold front I was complaining about in my last post? Well it will be good and gone by Sunday with a high of 99* happening that day. Luckily, not while I am running. It will be between 74-82* while I am out at my race. But looks like 50% cloud coverage which will be my saving grace, for sure. I can deal with the temps, but when you add on the sun beating on you it's rough. I've had a few hot and sunny workouts this training cycle. I feel like I am well prepared for it. But we shall see.

Course: The course is relatively flat and on a paved road. It's an out and back that starts with a slight incline on the out and then is downhill on the back. I have no worries with this course. It is gonna be a dream compared to that dang mountain I climbed in February.

10k.PNG

Cinco de Mayo: I don't know WHYYYY I thought running a race the day after CDM was a good idea, but here I am. Mainly it was the only race that we could get to this spring before it gets too hot. I will enjoy some margaritas and tacos (tacos are a carb right?!) but I plan on staying hydrated, drinking Nuun, and stopping around 6pm. If I do amazing I will thank the Margaritas. If I do terrible I will blame the Margaritas.

Fueling: I will probably have a bit of coffee, a banana, a waffle, and some Nuun and a shot of beet juice while I am getting ready. Right before the start, I will have a Gu. Then probably take at least one water/electrolyte during the race, depending on the weather. I can usually forgo fueling during a 10k but if it's hot I will hydrate. At the finish line, my husband will have my celebratory beer waiting for me. Then it's off to find some pizza.

Anyway, that's the game plan for now. I am just bored at work and figured I would gather all my thoughts about my race on my journal. Happy Friday y'all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter