Ever stayed at a WDW resort and NOT gone to the parks?

Maddie2

DIS Veteran
DH and I are considering doing this in January and just wondering if anyone here has done this? We have enough Disney Visa points for the resort/hotel to be free, so that's part of this equation too, but mostly, it would be an escape from winter.

We've been to WDW with our kids several times, but as empty-nesters, I don't know that I feel the need to go to the parks. During past vacations, there were always other places - primarily other resorts and restaurants that I would have liked to go to, but didn't have the time ... this would allow that.

I know we CAN go to WDW and not go to the parks .... but once we got there, would it be so weird not going to the parks, that we'd end up buying tickets there? We will have a rental car, so there are other entertainment options ... what to do, what to do?

Truth be told ... we all know that our kids grow up too fast ... and really, I think it might be a little sad being in the parks without our kids.

What are your favorite non-park and non-WDW things to do in the area?

Last edited:
We have and loved it!

We hit Fort Wilderness for breakfast and then bum around there - see the horses, lounge on the beach, have a drink in a rocking chair, play checkers..

We hit DS a lot...bowl, see a movie, eat, shop, etc.

Resort Hop!

Mini golf.

Hi Minnesota! South Dakota here. Thank you for your response. Sounds very relaxing - something we've never really taken the time to do much there before - relax. And, as you know, escaping the upper midwest in January is quite appealing!

No way, I would never do it. We always stay offsite anyway, but even still I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel at or near WDW and not go to the parks. Just far too weird, and probably depressing, for me. I love WDW and to know I'm right there and not be able to go would bum me out big time. I've been in the area several times for work related things over the years and always make sure my hotel is a good ways outside of the "bubble" of WDW area that we normally visit.

We have done it several times usually before cruises. Resort hopping and dining-breakfast at the Poly, spa appt at GF, shopping at Disney Springs with a snack/light lunch, dinner at WL/GF/CR, watching the fireworks from an MK or EPCOT resort area are one day itinerary ideas. Circling BW area-eating, shopping, watching the amusements could be another depending on the weather (they have a spa at the Swolphin). Just taking advantage of the transportation-monorail, boats, buses and exploring resorts where you've not been. If you like to drive there's Kennedy Space Center, Winter Park (great shopping), etc.
Many of the resorts I've found are destinations unto themselves. I could spend a long weekend at AKL, WL , GL or the BW area and not have to leave the resort...eating, shopping, gym, pool (okay I wouldn't be in the pool but I'm a thin blooded Southerner), spa, more eating, people watching, resort activities. Wow, I'm starting to convince myself to take another trip :)

I have done it twice. Once about 8 years ago - with my dd and her friend. They did the parks, I did not. Back in March (2017), DH and I stayed at SSR 5 nights - no parks. We love to relax by the pool. Resort hop for dinner or lunch. Disney Springs, Boardwalk/BCV area, Animal Kingdom Lodge for the evenings.

We've done it several times, with kids :D We were just at WDW for 2 weeks and went into the parks for 2 days (but really would have been fine just hanging at the resorts). Key is to either stay at the Fort or go Deluxe for that pampering/lots to do experience.

I think I could do it in the warm weather, but in January, I'm not so sure. We went once in Jan and have pics of the kids st Seaworld in their ski jackets! You might get warm weather, but you might not. I know there is a lot to do at the resorts but I think without being able to lounge by the pool, we would run out of ideas pretty quickly. We just went to DS and although parts of it were really cool, parts of it felt like we were at our local mall. We have a Splitsville & a movie theatre a couple miles from our home so that was really no different. I would probably at least have $$ set aside in case I wanted to do a couple park days. I really want to do Epcot with just me & DH so we can eat & drink our way around the world but he's not that into Disney so getting him to go without the kids is probably not going to happen.

It probably depends on which resort you stay at, how long you're going to be there, and what the weather is like. January is closest thing we have to winter down here so it might be too cold to swim or lay out by the pool. There is a TON of stuff to do beside the 4 theme parks though. Disney Springs is a good way to spend an afternoon/evening. There are 2 mini-golf courses with 2 different paths each and you usually get a discount for doing both in one day. There are motorized boats that can be rented on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. Fort Wilderness has a free campfire sing-a-long that even adults can enjoy along with wagon and carriage rides. There's also dinner shows and fine dining options all over the resorts. You could take a fireworks cruise to watch Illuminations or the Highway in the Sky dining and fireworks. The resorts also have activities, especially the deluxe resorts. There's a nightly parade around the Magic Kingdom waterways that visits all those resorts. I don't know if I could spend a whole week without going in the parks but a long weekend would easily be doable. There are even special tours at Fort Wilderness and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. You could even go to one of the many spas on property.

I skip the parks every time i go. Usually stay a night at WDW to hit Trader Sams / Disney Springs (just so i don't have to drive after 2389124968 drinks) Then onto Universal HHN and some park goodness for a few days.... However, I will make a triumphant return when Galaxy's Edge opens.

Nope. If I was going on a trip just to a resort I would not pick a WDW resort. I go there to see the parks. However, I have a stockpile of non-expiring tickets bought before they stopped selling them so I could go for a day or two.

Next trip we are spending 2 nights at the Grand Floridian. I told DH since it is so dang expensive we will be spending most of that time hanging out at the resort, but we will go to MK for half a day anyway. (Then we will move on to the BWV using rented DVC points and spending lots of days at the parks.)

We have gone and not spent more than a hour or two in a park for a day but never not going to a park at all. We have APs so it's easy enough just to go to a park for a hour. We always stay at the Epcot resorts and I would go crazy if I couldn't run into WS just to walk around or over to HS and get on ToT. I could skip MK easy enough and maybe AK but I doubt it. We have gone to the parks and not ridden any rides.

We've gone w/o kids a few times. Took the half day tour of MK, behind the scenes, including the tunnels under the park. Outside of park, rode the mouseboats and rented bikes to ride around WL and FW. Also, segway tour of FW was fun. I also love to hang out at AKL, see the animals, eat some unique food. I could definately spend a couple days w/o going into the parks!

We have done this numerous times.Sleep in, sit by the pool in the afternoon, and try one of the new resturants at Disney Springs for dinner.Jelly rolls at the Boardwalk is lots of fun. There used to be a piano player at Port of Orleans that was really good. Disney Springs usually has outdoor bands on the weekend.I would checkout the tours,some don't require park admission .

We did it once with our kids. Our oldest DD was starting the DCP and we were there for 4 days to move her in. We hadn't bought our APs yet and decided just to relax once we moved her in. We also did breakfast at Trail's End and then hung around at the fort for a while. We did HDDR, Ohana, Kona, etc. We are not empty nesters at all yet but could see just going to relax at the resort later on. Especially when you go in winter. When we moved our DD in it was January and was so excited to not have freezing weather. Enjoy!

Yep, used my points for a room but did things around town. Had went to some of the other resorts just to eat, but no parks at all.

I can see the appeal but in all reality, aren't there much less expensive resorts that offer much nicer amenities there in Orlando? I mean, the main reason we all pay such high prices to stay on Disney property is because we are going to the parks and using the transportation, EMH and such. If you are just looking for a resort stay, there seems to be a plethora of resorts in Orlando that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Thanks for your ideas of fun things to do outside the parks. Yes, there are less expensive hotels if you are paying cash, but since we are paying with points, it is FREE. So, in that regard, it can't be beat. No reason to save points for a future trip, as there won't likely be another FL trip for many years. We are hopeful we will luck out and get good weather, but really, when you are leaving snow behind, it won't take much to be an improvement. For now, the plan will be to not go to the parks, but if we get there and change our minds, that's fine. Years ago, I would have never considered this type of trip, but with no kids in this vacation equation, it's funny how thoughts can change!

We have done this 3 times. We stay in Fl mid Dec to mid Jan. We stay at Fort Wilderness in our camper. There is lots of stuff to do there. You could stay at a cabin. That way you can have a full kitchen and bring bikes to ride around. Have fun wherever/whatever you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter