Europe Cruises after July 30th 2022, Covid tests are on the passenger's dime

I am on the 11 night European cruise out of Copenhagen. I just booked through OnPoint Testing for 2 telehealth proctored antigen tests. They were $14.99 each. We will supply our own tests. We won't get into Copenhagen until 2 in the morning, so I set it up the next morning, which is the day before we embark. I booked 2 tests, that can be taken with 1 appointment.

You will need to book using Pacific Time Zone, so figure out your correct time conversion! 🕐
I just booked this. I was able to use uk time. Every time zone is listed.

We prefer the free testing at port. Logistics is one issue, but, more importantly, there is a reason why COVID cases on board are now going through the roof. The "anxiety" does its job. It keeps everyone disciplined in the days leading to embarkation.

If they want to remove port testing, they should just get rid of testing altogether. I don't know how much an antigen test from two days back helps.

Mind you - ever since major countries dropped pre-arrival testing, many centers have shuttered this service or reduced their hours of operations. The eMed-style kits are probably the best option.
I don’t know if you’ve cruised yet, but the boarding process is a nightmare. This will improve that. I agree they should get rid of it all together or offer free tests to those that choose to test at port.

That sounds great, where are you able to get non rapid antigen tests?
According to DCL, "Antigen tests must be completed using a professionally proctored in-person or telehealth service". I believe that you can only use rapid antigen tests under the telehealth procedure.

I found a observed testing service that uses the Canadian Government provided Covid Tests (Green Boxes), and charges CAD 20 per, but will look into the airports.
We are flying into COP the day before departure.

And...agree, I prefer this rather than testing at port
Could you please share who you found for testing for us Canadians?

I am just happy that we can test before the cruise. The stress of travelling to Dover and then testing in port was going to kill me with anxiety. During Covid I have paid so often for covid tests to travel abroad, it's not a big deal to me anymore. Happy the tests are not as expensive anymore as they were in 2020.
I agree this does sound better. I'm doing telehealth from our hotel in London two days before and I'll have the results in 5 minutes. Hopefully, they're speedy in emailing the results. Every time I do one of these home covid tests it reminds me of trying to get pregnant. One line negative and two lines positive, except with these tests you only want to see one line.

I don’t know if you’ve cruised yet, but the boarding process is a nightmare. This will improve that. I agree they should get rid of it all together or offer free tests to those that choose to test at port.
Yes, we have spent 30 days on board in the last six months - and would happily take on a couple of hours of boarding time wait for 11 days of relatively stress-free sailing next month. Coincidentally, as with your high school exams, we find that those with the most anxiety were the most likely to flunk it. (The test was a natural filter.)

Not a deal breaker though - a preference rather, as I said. The 2-day testing seems more like the worst of the three options. I get it - it's designed for box checking under the new EU rules. But it doesn't much help with the virus incidence on board, and it also puts you in a scramble to find a test on your own two days before sailing.

Either offer it for free at the port, or ditch it altogether.

Last edited:
According to DCL, "Antigen tests must be completed using a professionally proctored in-person or telehealth service". I believe that you can only use rapid antigen tests under the telehealth procedure.
Oops! I was reading the bolded part about no rapid antigen not realizing it was under the 'under 4' section. Thanks.

We fly out on 8/8 for our cruise on 8/10. I scheduled testing through OnPoint last night for the morning of 8/8 before we fly out.

I know this is terrible, but I got the email for our September European cruise at the same time that the last person in our party's positive test came in yesterday. All I could think was... well, at least the trip will be easier and cheaper! I don't have to do any of this stuff! hahahahaha We're all eligible for 90 day recovered letters. Sure takes the stress out of a B2B!

Debarkation Day COVID-19 Antigen Testing
All unvaccinated Guests on 5-night and longer sailings are required to take a COVID-19 antigen test (paid for by Disney Cruise Line) on the ship the day before debarking.

Does anyone know what happens then if an under 5 tests positive the day before debarkation? UK (and many other European countries) no longer require quarantine for people tested positive. Plus, we will be driving from UK to Switzerland where we can easily have zero contact with people. Is DCL forcing those under 5s who tested positive to quarantine? If so, where? It's not like there are quarantine hotels in UK :rolleyes2 Sent to same question to our TA (site sponsor) yesterday, but have not heard back

Any idea what happens if two staterooms are linked.? If one person tests positive, is everyone denied boarding from both staterooms? We have that situation. Will be departing from Copenhagen and testing individually via Telehealth. We won't meet up with the people in the other stateroom until we are on the ship.

Any idea what happens if two staterooms are linked.? If one person tests positive, is everyone denied boarding from both staterooms? We have that situation. Will be departing from Copenhagen and testing individually via Telehealth. We won't meet up with the people in the other stateroom until we are on the ship.
If you aren't close contacts beforehand (traveling together to port) my understanding is a linked stateroom won't require that everyone miss the cruise. Only the party with the positive person.

Does anyone know what happens then if an under 5 tests positive the day before debarkation? UK (and many other European countries) no longer require quarantine for people tested positive. Plus, we will be driving from UK to Switzerland where we can easily have zero contact with people. Is DCL forcing those under 5s who tested positive to quarantine? If so, where? It's not like there are quarantine hotels in UK :rolleyes2 Sent to same question to our TA (site sponsor) yesterday, but have not heard back
If you cancel within the 14-day period because someone tests positive -- such as an <5 with the 3-day prior test -- DCL does nothing other than refund your money. If someone in your party (any age) tests positive at the port, DCL is putting up those folks in a hotel for quarantine. I'm not sure the length of time, it might be 5 days with a negative test or 10 days without. My understanding is DCL has contracts with hotels in their port cities who agree to have guests quarantine there.

It depends on your traveling connection. When DCL was doing embarkation testing of everyone, if the 2 linked parties arrived together both were denied boarding, if the 2 linked parties did not arrive together then only the one stateroom is denied boarding. It is probably based on the honor system with pre-arrival testing.

Yes, we have spent 30 days on board in the last six months - and would happily take on a couple of hours of boarding time wait for 11 days of relatively stress-free sailing next month. Coincidentally, as with your high school exams, we find that those with the most anxiety were the most likely to flunk it. (The test was a natural filter.)

Not a deal breaker though - a preference rather, as I said. The 2-day testing seems more like the worst of the three options. I get it - it's designed for box checking under the new EU rules. But it doesn't much help with the virus incidence on board, and it also puts you in a scramble to find a test on your own two days before sailing.

Either offer it for free at the port, or ditch it altogether.
How was your boarding process? Ours took 3.5 hours in San Diego. I found it anxiety producing and I wasn’t at risk of flunking it as you put it.

If you cancel within the 14-day period because someone tests positive -- such as an <5 with the 3-day prior test -- DCL does nothing other than refund your money. If someone in your party (any age) tests positive at the port, DCL is putting up those folks in a hotel for quarantine. I'm not sure the length of time, it might be 5 days with a negative test
I was referring specifically to the testing for unvaccinated guests (aka under 5s) that DCL will carry out one day before debarkation, not if someone tests positive pre-cruise. How can DCL quarantine anyone in UK? Legally there is no quarantine requirement anymore in many European countries. DCL can and should absolutely quarantine positive tested people onboard the cruise, but once the person is off the ship, I just don't see how DCL can force the said person to stay in a quarantine hotel when legally the country doesn't have such requirement.

Similarly, if someone tests positive before boarding, the person should absolutely be refused travel. This is totally fine as it's the rule of DCL. But I don't see how DCL can send such person to a quarantine hotel in the UK.

If you cancel within the 14-day period because someone tests positive -- such as an <5 with the 3-day prior test -- DCL does nothing other than refund your money. If someone in your party (any age) tests positive at the port, DCL is putting up those folks in a hotel for quarantine. I'm not sure the length of time, it might be 5 days with a negative test or 10 days without. My understanding is DCL has contracts with hotels in their port cities who agree to have guests quarantine there.

It depends on your traveling connection. When DCL was doing embarkation testing of everyone, if the 2 linked parties arrived together both were denied boarding, if the 2 linked parties did not arrive together then only the one stateroom is denied boarding. It is probably based on the honor system with pre-arrival testing.
No that were testing two days before cruise I’m assuming DCL is no longer paying hotel bill?

No that were testing two days before cruise I’m assuming DCL is no longer paying hotel bill?
well.... this is an European sailing thread. In UK (and many other European countries) for example, there is no legal requirement anymore to quarantine even when tested positive, so I'm not sure why DCL would put, let alone pay, for anyone to go into quarantine hotel. Anyone who tests positive is in theory free to just walk away and do whatever they like, except taking the cruise of course

I was referring specifically to the testing for unvaccinated guests (aka under 5s) that DCL will carry out one day before debarkation, not if someone tests positive pre-cruise. How can DCL quarantine anyone in UK?
Sorry, I thought you meant pre-cruise testing. Yes, DCL will quarantine the child plus 1 parent if the child tests positive on the onboard testing. I believe they will test the whole stateroom if the child's test is positive, and then give an option for the full party to quarantine or just the child plus a parent (assuming the rest of the party is negative). That is onboard. Then reports have been that DCL arranges for a hotel for quarantine post-cruise. I can't say whether they have any legal authority to require that quarantine, but I assume it is part of the return-to-cruising rules for the UK and Europe. Since you agree to DCL's rules, you may be bound to accept the quarantine post-cruise, but I honestly don't know how that might play out if a party wanted to refuse quarantine.

In the US, DCL wasn't paying any quarantine except (obviously) onboard. But the Magic guests seem to be getting hotel on DCL's dime. I assume it has to do with UK/European return-to-cruise rules. As to the coming pre-arrival testing -- I would assume DCL will not cover quarantine unless the test is performed at embarkation.

well.... this is an European sailing thread. In UK (and many other European countries) for example, there is no legal requirement anymore to quarantine even when tested positive, so I'm not sure why DCL would put, let alone pay, for anyone to go into quarantine hotel. Anyone who tests positive is in theory free to just walk away and do whatever they like, except taking the cruise of course

Well…..I’m sailing on a European cruise. I’m don’t know why DCLwas paying, but from reports that is what they were doing. I assume they will no longer be doing that since we will not be testing at the port nor do I expect them too nor would I go to a quarantine hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!