Epcot Segway Tour cancelled - all of them

As DH and I were saying last night... aren't Segways just taller ECV's? It's unfortunate when those who have disabilities have to miss out, but in this case... why not just let the other wheeled vehicles join the group? But to have to build a special Segway just for this tour? **.

And this isn't a ride... it's a tour! I once went on a Walking Tour of Europe, and the tour said it was mainly long days of walking, and we had a few in the group who couldn't keep up. If they had a Segway or an ECV, it sure would have made a difference!
No, they have only 2 wheels. ECVs has 3 or 4 wheels and will stay standing up when the rider gets off

But in this case they are being used in the same manner. An easy way to get around.
True.
But the driver needs to have some abilities to use a Segway that they don't need with an ECV.
Segways were not designed to be used by people with disabilities - some have found them useful for getting around with their specific disability, but they are not accessible for others.

This has gone awfully quite. Are people still finding that they're being cancelled. I've got a booking for August and wonder whether it's just best to cancel and plan my day better now rather than pick up the pieces closer to the time

So, are they considering it a "ride" only because it's in a themepark? I ask because the Segway Tour at Ft. Wilderness is still operating so what is the difference, other than it is obviously not in a themepark? :confused3

So, are they considering it a "ride" only because it's in a themepark? I ask because the Segway Tour at Ft. Wilderness is still operating so what is the difference, other than it is obviously not in a themepark? :confused3

I guess you are referring to the post above where its an ADA thing. I'm still not sure if this is accurate. Not accusing anyone of anything, but it sounds too much like a my brother in laws cousin who is a CM at POP heard this was the reason kind of thing.

The biggest bit of confusion concerning this is that there is no official reason or even a time frame from Disney.

I guess you are referring to the post above where its an ADA thing. I'm still not sure if this is accurate. Not accusing anyone of anything, but it sounds too much like a my brother in laws cousin who is a CM at POP heard this was the reason kind of thing.

The biggest bit of confusion concerning this is that there is no official reason or even a time frame from Disney.

Yes, I should have been more clear about that. And I agree with you, I'm not convinced that is the real reason.

WOW! Great information, OhMari! This is the first time we've heard any form of an explanation -- and it makes sense too! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

I read many of the post after, and I was really afraid to say anything. I am the last person that would know any legalities for the Disabled. Thank you SueMN for looking up all that information and explaining.

They have a picture of a Segway being built for people that cannot stand. You basically sit on it and it looks sort of like a small bike, but in a Segway design. I really didn't realize I was finding information about the Segway Tour from "Behind the Scenes Tour."

If your tour gets cancelled, I really recommend this tour. It doesn't last as long as "Keys to the Kingdom" at the MK and you get no get no lunch. We took a 15 minute break in the Land Pavillion and I quickly went and got Soarin Fast passes. Our Tour guide took us to the back door for Soarin. Soarin went down, just as we were suppose to get on and our guide gave us a Free Fast Pass for up to 5 people and VIP seating in Italy for Illuminations. We used our Fast Passes for Test Track and asked 3 other people to come in with us. They were surprised.

Yep, Fort Wilderness is not a Theme Park. That is exactly how it was stated to us.

They have a picture of a Segway being built for people that cannot stand. You basically sit on it and it looks sort of like a small bike, but in a Segway design. I really didn't realize I was finding information about the Segway Tour from "Behind the Scenes Tour."

Well here it is.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3105351

And if this is the reason, it still seems odd*.

* This is the best word I could come up with. The ADA excuse still doesn't seem correct and I'm leaving it at that.

I think there is a little confusion - they aren't developing a sitting segway as far as I know or guest use in the parks...Disney is working on (really, getting someone else to supply) a new standing vehicle that has four wheels. IIRC, one of the issues brought up with the segways is the "failure conditions".

A segway, in operation, balances on its two wheels via a computer that constantly adjusts the balance via a series of gyroscopes. It is not a "naturally stable" condition. Before you turn it off, there is a "kickstand" that needs to be lowered, giving it a third contact point and more stability.

It actually isn't hard to over-lean on a segway and topple, especially if you are not familiar with it.

A four-wheeled unit is inherently more stable, and is naturally in a "failsafe" condition - if the unit power fails suddenly, it will stop...but it won't fall over. I don't believe it is the same for a segway (there are fault detection systems, but I believe the parking stand is still manually deployed).

A wider wheelbase also adds even more stability during use.

Edit: I forgot...Segway did do development on a 4-wheeled version of their own, meant for more off-road type applications. But it was also still supposed to be computer balanced, so I'm not sure if it would apply here...also not sure it ever got very far.

Oh! Sorry for the vague comment, lol! It was a standing Segway, not a tour. :[

Was it just a normal regular segway or one of the new standing ECVs. I have read that Managers still use Segways to get a around and has nothing to do with the cancelations.

Nope it was definitely not a normal Segway! It had 4 wheels and the person was standing, and DH pointed it out to me and said, "See? That's what they look like!" We were pretty excited to see one! Lol, we're so nerdy...

Edit: on my last post I realize I wrote "standing segway" hahaa... really it should have been "standing ecv" *facepalm*

This has gone very quiet, are people still being cancelled or are the tours back on?

I meant to post here the other day after I got off the phone with Disney. I had called to find out if we could opt-in to help test the Magicbands on our honeymoon in July. (inquiring minds - they are randomly calling people and asking them if they want to beta test)

While he was on the phone with the guy, my fiance asked about the status of the Epcot segway tour. He said they were all cancelled and it was due to a liability issue. We mentioned that we had been reading about people having their tours cancelled only 2 weeks out from their reservation date and how it stinks to do that to someone. He understood but maintained that they are all cancelled. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter