• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Epcot Segway Tour cancelled - all of them

I'm not pleased how Disney is handling this. My tour is May 5th. I called and was told by the CM that the tour was cancelled. When I inquired about a refund, I was told I would be refunded when they contacted me to tell me it was cancelled... uh... ok. I want my $300 back NOW if that is the case.

Then I saw here that someone else with a May 4th tour was told theirs was still on! So my mother called and was told that our May 5th tour WAS still on, as of now.

So why was I told it was cancelled if it had not yet been cancelled? I would not have shown up!

They need to get their act together and provide reliable information.

Officially, the entire tour is cancelled. But individual tours have not been notified and cancelled for May yet. They were slow to cancel the April tours too. What CMs are saying isn't really conflicting -- the tour is officially cancelled and you can't book new ones but individual tours are still in the system until someone (not the CMs we're talking to) cancel them and issue refunds. Speculation is that the tours may not be permanently cancelled. However, they may not come back at all. There is no information being released though, which in and of itself is rather unusual.

If you really want your money back, you could cancel it yourself. I think most of us are holding out though to see if the tour gets reinstated before our date comes around.

My point was that all CMs should be coached on what to say if someone calls about the tour so that everyone receives the same information. For some callers to be told "Yes, that's definitely cancelled" and others told "It's still on as of now" is a problem.

Our Epcot Segway tour was cancelled, so I booked the Ft Wilderness tour. I was so glad I did! My DH, DD16 and I were the only ones on the tour when we went. We had such a great time! We thought it was the highlight of our trip. We've been to WDW many times, but this was the first time our DD was old enough to go. She loved it!

That is terrible! I am wondering if it's because of the Segway lawsuit? Are they still doing short rides in Innovations?

I took the tour a few years ago and loved it so much I bought a Segway!

Lisa

That is terrible! I am wondering if it's because of the Segway lawsuit? Are they still doing short rides in Innovations?

I took the tour a few years ago and loved it so much I bought a Segway!

Lisa

No one really knows why they cancelled. But the lawsuit has been going on for many years and just wrapped up recently with the final appeal denied this week. So it's hard to see why that would cause them to cancel starting in February.

My understanding is that they stopped doing the rides in Innoventions a while ago. I don't think they were there on our last trip.

My DH and DSis did the Epcot tour in Dec and loved it. My DS isn't old enough so we went to Cape May instead. But then I had an opportunity to go in May with my parents, so it seemed like a good time to do it. We're still scheduled for May 3. No word of any May cancellations yet.

We've done this a few times over the years and absolutely enjoyed every second of it. I was planning on scheduling another round in December and am sooo bummed:sad1::sad1:if this is truly off the table forever. What a shame.

I received a call about my May 3rd tour today. I was advised that is is cancelled and that my refund would be coming in the next few days.

I received a call about my May 3rd tour today. I was advised that is is cancelled and that my refund would be coming in the next few days.

So did I. Mine was May 5th. FWIW, they specifically said all the tours in May were cancelled.

I was excited about the tour but I was also concerned about how exhausting it is. I'm only there for one day so I'm happy enough to check out Flower & Garden. Just glad it's resolved.

We were suppose to our Segway Tour this past Monday. We received a refund pretty quick, but while I was talking to the CM, I stated how disappointed we were. She offered us Behind Epcot Tour. About two weeks later someone else from Guest Services called and confirmed. On Monday they did not have our name on the sheet at entrance, but they left us in. We got to Guest Services, no name on list. Luckily I had the 2 names of the CM's and everything turned out and we were allowed on the tour.

Our guide told us the reason the Segway Tour was cancelled at Epcot was that very reason. The Segway Tour was considered a ride in a Theme Park. And all rides in a Theme Park have to be handicap assessable. A Segway is being developed and they hope to get the tours going again soon.

Well, our May 6th tour was canceled, and we received the call today. Oh well! Going to play amongst the topiaries and butterflies instead. :)

We were suppose to our Segway Tour this past Monday. We received a refund pretty quick, but while I was talking to the CM, I stated how disappointed we were. She offered us Behind Epcot Tour. About two weeks later someone else from Guest Services called and confirmed. On Monday they did not have our name on the sheet at entrance, but they left us in. We got to Guest Services, no name on list. Luckily I had the 2 names of the CM's and everything turned out and we were allowed on the tour.

Our guide told us the reason the Segway Tour was cancelled at Epcot was that very reason. The Segway Tour was considered a ride in a Theme Park. And all rides in a Theme Park have to be handicap assessable. A Segway is being developed and they hope to get the tours going again soon.

WOW! Great information, OhMari! This is the first time we've heard any form of an explanation -- and it makes sense too! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry and I know this will tick a lot of people off but what a load of crap. Penalize all the rest of us because it's not handicap accessible. Really? One day this country is just going to implode on itself.

I know this came from a CM that should know the reason but is there anyone around here that knows what the ADA really says about this.

This reason just doesn't sound right somehow, yes its a CM but they always don't get correct info and try to fill in the gaps with something they think they heard.

I'm not saying it isn't the reason, just wondering what the limits are to the ADA.

I'm sorry and I know this will tick a lot of people off but what a load of crap. Penalize all the rest of us because it's not handicap accessible. Really? One day this country is just going to implode on itself.

IF that is the reason, then I tend to agree with you. Segways are, by their very nature, stand-up devices which will naturally preclude some people with certain disabilities from taking part. There are some things that no amount of anti-discrimination laws can reasonably change, however much it would be wonderful if they could.

That's not to say that they couldn't run a similar Epcot/World Showcase tour for wheelchair-bound guests using ECVs for example, but it just wouldn't be a "Segway Tour".

Andre

I know this came from a CM that should know the reason but is there anyone around here that knows what the ADA really says about this.

This reason just doesn't sound right somehow, yes its a CM but they always don't get correct info and try to fill in the gaps with something they think they heard.

I'm not saying it isn't the reason, just wondering what the limits are to the ADA.
That doesn't sound like the reason because it doesn't make sense (although, I am sure the CM did say that).
I'm on my iPhone, so it's to hard to find a link, but the 2002 guidelines were revised and went into effect March 2012. But, they still did not require EVERYTHING be accessible. Some things are just not possible to be made accessible.

The ADA doesn't require everything to be made accessible or to close if they are not accessible. The terms are 'reasonable accommodation' and something is not required to be made accessible if it changes the 'nature' of the attraction.
And, there is a 'loophole' for vehicles that the person will be controlling themself on the attraction - this includes things like bumper cars and cars (like on Tomorrowland Speedway).
In that case, all that is needed is an accessible path to get to the attraction - that was already the case since the building the tour started in was accessible.

For example, Tom Sawyer's Island, Peoplemover, Peter Pan and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse require that a guest is ambulatory to experience the attraction.
And, there is now a wheelchair accessible Jungle Cruise boat, but the cruise stayed open while they were developing the accessible boat.
They have also recently added ADA ride cars with wider openings to many attractions. They didn't close anything while they developed them.

If this activity was included with admission, the handicap accessible thing might have merit. Since we have to pay extra for he activity, anyone who could not participate would not be spending money on it.

That doesn't sound like the reason because it doesn't make sense (although, I am sure the CM did say that).
I'm on my iPhone, so it's to hard to find a link, but the 2002 guidelines were revised and went into effect March 2012. But, they still did not require EVERYTHING be accessible. Some things are just not possible to be made accessible.

The ADA doesn't require everything to be made accessible or to close if they are not accessible. The terms are 'reasonable accommodation' and something is not required to be made accessible if it changes the 'nature' of the attraction.
And, there is a 'loophole' for vehicles that the person will be controlling themself on the attraction - this includes things like bumper cars and cars (like on Tomorrowland Speedway).
In that case, all that is needed is an accessible path to get to the attraction - that was already the case since the building the tour started in was accessible.

For example, Tom Sawyer's Island, Peoplemover, Peter Pan and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse require that a guest is ambulatory to experience the attraction.
And, there is now a wheelchair accessible Jungle Cruise boat, but the cruise stayed open while they were developing the accessible boat.
They have also recently added ADA ride cars with wider openings to many attractions. They didn't close anything while they developed them.

I knew there was something about reason in there and everything can't be made totally accessible.

IF that is the reason, then I tend to agree with you. Segways are, by their very nature, stand-up devices which will naturally preclude some people with certain disabilities from taking part. There are some things that no amount of anti-discrimination laws can reasonably change, however much it would be wonderful if they could.

That's not to say that they couldn't run a similar Epcot/World Showcase tour for wheelchair-bound guests using ECVs for example, but it just wouldn't be a "Segway Tour".

Andre

They could just rename the tour and include ECVs. Is standing up really that important?

I thought the Segways are a neat thing but mostly used to get around quickly something that ECVs already do.

As DH and I were saying last night... aren't Segways just taller ECV's? It's unfortunate when those who have disabilities have to miss out, but in this case... why not just let the other wheeled vehicles join the group? But to have to build a special Segway just for this tour? **.

And this isn't a ride... it's a tour! I once went on a Walking Tour of Europe, and the tour said it was mainly long days of walking, and we had a few in the group who couldn't keep up. If they had a Segway or an ECV, it sure would have made a difference!

MellinMickey4333 said:
As DH and I were saying last night... aren't Segways just taller ECV's? It's unfortunate when those who have disabilities have to miss out, but in this case... why not just let the other wheeled vehicles join the group? But to have to build a special Segway just for this tour? **.

And this isn't a ride... it's a tour! I once went on a Walking Tour of Europe, and the tour said it was mainly long days of walking, and we had a few in the group who couldn't keep up. If they had a Segway or an ECV, it sure would have made a difference!

I don't know where those double stars came from... ? Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter