Epcot Segway Tour cancelled - all of them

I just called about my 5/3 your an was told that it was still confirmed for now....?????

Segways are perfectly safe if used properly. Using them anywhere near sand does not sound like a proper use to me. Or where there are motor vehicles and pedestrians. So, I'm not sure that the tour you went on was a good one.

Maybe Disney is looking at how they can offer this tour safely away from crowds and other obstacles.

That was my first hunch...that with the early opening of WS now for the bakery, there are more crowds to contend with. We shall see.

Well, call me a daredevil, but we were literally told how they work and told we have an hour to use them. No training or pamphlets about where to ride them was given so I agree this was probably not the best choice.

The reason you mentioned though may be the reason that they've suspended them, but I don't know if they do them before park opening or what.

Regardless, they just aren't my thing. Honestly, it was not the highlight of the trip.

Somebody has sued Disney several years ago, wanting to bring their own Segway into the park (they had a disability). Perhaps this is connected somehow.

Well, call me a daredevil, but we were literally told how they work and told we have an hour to use them. No training or pamphlets about where to ride them was given so I agree this was probably not the best choice.

The reason you mentioned though may be the reason that they've suspended them, but I don't know if they do them before park opening or what.

Regardless, they just aren't my thing. Honestly, it was not the highlight of the trip.

The Disney tours didn't work like that at all. You were given a safety demonstration and you were taught how to ride properly. You were also never left alone to ride; the guide was always with you. The Epcot tour that went through World Showcase did happen before the WS section of the park was open so there were very low crowds.

Somebody has sued Disney several years ago, wanting to bring their own Segway into the park (they had a disability). Perhaps this is connected somehow.

That lawsuit was resolved before this happened. Though possibly the combination of this lawsuit and the increased crowds in WS are the cause.

My DH and DSis did it in December and they loved it. They were booked on the first tour which runs before WS opens. But there was a snafu getting into the back entrance at that hour, so they were bumped to the next tour. We actually ran into them when DS and I were wandering around WS. And there's a tour that runs after that, so I know they've run tours before when people were in WS. My understanding from my DH is that if they hit an area that's too crowded, they bypass it. But honestly, except for Food & Wine the crowds in WS are never really that bad at that hour.

My tour is on May 3 and I haven't heard anything yet.

Mine is may 3rd also! I hope we know soon one way or another!

Any updates? Anyone with a May tour that's been cancelled yet? Any April tour still scheduled?

Tltorrez said:
Any updates? Anyone with a May tour that's been cancelled yet? Any April tour still scheduled?

Ours is supposed to be May 6th, and so far no cancellation! 21 days until we leave.... yippieeee!

Just looked on the main Disney site and this tour is not listed. Is it gone for good?

It was taken down from the site nearly the exact same time the first post was made here. It would really be nice if they would release an official statement.

Just looked on the main Disney site and this tour is not listed. Is it gone for good?

Official word is that all tours were cancelled and it cannot be booked going forward. No further information provided. Not even a rumor.

However, Disney has been slow to cancel the existing tours. So far as we can tell they haven't cancelled anything past April. Speculation is that they're holding off because maybe the tour is coming back. Or maybe they just ant to keep our money longer. Who knows? No rumors at all so impossible to tell.

It may be difficult for Disney to say Segway's aren't allowed in parks, but then offer tours while the parks are open.

DH and I took the first tour of the day, and it was kind of tricky to maneuver around guests to get from FW to WS. Then we had to avoid the workers getting WS ready for opening. And getting back from WS to FW at the end was downright scary.

I could see them allowing tours when regular guests aren't in the parks, or in other non-park locations like they have in Fort Wilderness.

It may be difficult for Disney to say Segway's aren't allowed in parks, but then offer tours while the parks are open.

DH and I took the first tour of the day, and it was kind of tricky to maneuver around guests to get from FW to WS. Then we had to avoid the workers getting WS ready for opening. And getting back from WS to FW at the end was downright scary.

I could see them allowing tours when regular guests aren't in the parks, or in other non-park locations like they have in Fort Wilderness.

I think there's a large difference between Disney being able to have a controlled number of Segways in the park for more controlled situations like tours (and led by a CM) than any number of Segways being allowed at any time with no CM/Disney interaction/supervision..

I totally agree. But guests who want to use a Segway and are told they can't don't see it that way. I'm sure it causes a huge headache for them and they probably spent a lot of money having their lawyers defend them. But like I posted a few minutes later, maybe now that people can't sue, Disney will bring the tour back.

Maybe they were waiting on this to reintroduce the tour since they know they can't get sued anymore.

More specifically, note the part where they didn't have to prove that Segway use in the park was dangerous. If that were still an open legal question, you could see them suspending the tours.

I'm not pleased how Disney is handling this. My tour is May 5th. I called and was told by the CM that the tour was cancelled. When I inquired about a refund, I was told I would be refunded when they contacted me to tell me it was cancelled... uh... ok. I want my $300 back NOW if that is the case.

Then I saw here that someone else with a May 4th tour was told theirs was still on! So my mother called and was told that our May 5th tour WAS still on, as of now.

So why was I told it was cancelled if it had not yet been cancelled? I would not have shown up!

They need to get their act together and provide reliable information.

I'm not pleased how Disney is handling this. My tour is May 5th. I called and was told by the CM that the tour was cancelled. When I inquired about a refund, I was told I would be refunded when they contacted me to tell me it was cancelled... uh... ok. I want my $300 back NOW if that is the case.

Then I saw here that someone else with a May 4th tour was told theirs was still on! So my mother called and was told that our May 5th tour WAS still on, as of now.

So why was I told it was cancelled if it had not yet been cancelled? I would not have shown up!

They need to get their act together and provide reliable information.

I agree with a few others that suggested tours going forward were in a limbo state if you click on the link that pp provided you'll see the supreme court decision was dated today, so in that case I don't think the CM gave you initially wrong info she/he told you what they were told to say.at the time of your initial call..make sense ?

LINK ON POST # 175 above I tried to put it in this post but messed it up somehow sorry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!