Epcot Forever - What did you think?!

What did you think of Epcot Forever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I called it a love letter to epcot originals. I absolutely loved it but i have a connection to all those songs, brought me back all those attractions
I did wonder how the non original epcot fan would feel
We've been EPCOT fans from way back and have a different take. The problem I and those around me had was that there was no overall theme that told a story from what we could tell. Cool effects with little substance.

I am not a big fan of the kids singing, but like the show otherwise. A Whole New World makes sense from a contextual standpoint (a whole new Epcot) but kind of stuck out as not being an Epcot song, so I was surprised it was the finale. There were so many good Epcot tunes they could have used. . .

Omg my thoughts exactly. The last part I really liked with the show.

This was a rare time I got to see something new the first day! My child grew up on Illuminations and it was my late FIL’s favorite, so it was hugely emotional to say goodbye to it.

For those reasons anything new would have a hard time living up for me...

So tonight’s show I went into with skepticism. The preshow announcements replaced the old dramatic narrator’s voice with a young kid. No drama at all to it. The show starts and the pyrotechnics are very good but a lot of young kids singing what I would call a poor attempt to be Wishes light. Frankly the voices aren’t that great.

But there is a lot of mixing in of Epcot classics and halfway through the show they bring in Tapestry if nations and now I am hooked! The kites are well done and pretty cool and lots of very high bright fireworks. A nice show for someone like me who doesn’t care much for projections (I come to see Disney put on a fireworks show. Not turn buildings in TVs. I can watch TV on my couch.)

Like others I think they are reaching trying to use a Whole New World as the finale song. TONs of Epcot songs they could have gone with. Aladdin music belongs in MK. But overall the second half really made the show for me.

In another note... we watched from well back of the railing over by the exit of the Sommerhaus. Even with DW in a scooter we could see EVERYTHING. even the low pinwheel effects. So if you can’t get right up in the railing don’t fret. You might even want to go FARTHER back where you aren’t staring at the back of someone’s head. The designers did a good job of making it visible from anywhere.

My grade: C+

Not bad for a placeholder show. Would be B+ if they made the finale more Epcot appropriate.

Last edited:
I called it a love letter to epcot originals. I absolutely loved it but i have a connection to all those songs, brought me back all those attractions
I did wonder how the non original epcot fan would feel

EXACTLY! I recognized Figment, but would rather actually be on the Figment ride/attraction. The only other song I recognized was the 'Whole New World' from Aladdin which seemed quite out of place. I was bored. My teen has never heard the 'nostalgic' songs used. We are not doing EPCOT on our 2019 trip and don't feel bad about missing this.

Sigh. I wanted to love it. We LOVED Disneyland Forever this summer out at DLR (obviously). But this didn’t quite work for us. It was just so choppy and disjointed. And with so many beautiful orchestrated scores to pick from, I’m thinking this could have been more beautiful. We still listen to the illuminations soundtrack after all these years, but I can’t see me turning this on at home. The fireworks were nice, though. I would also suggest more Walt and less kids voice. Oh well. We would definitely stay for this, but I don’t think this will be a family favorite.

We've been EPCOT fans from way back and have a different take. The problem I and those around me had was that there was no overall theme that told a story from what we could tell. Cool effects with little substance.
To me the story was the evolution of Epcot.
The show starts with "one little spark of inspiration" and Disney's voice announcing the plans for Epcot
Intro music of the opening ceremony with "We've just begun...to dream"
If you Can Dream It intertwined with Spaceship (welcome to your future) and original attractions, Universe of Energy, Listen to the Land, Horizons,
Soarin to Tower and Tomorrow's Child from Spaceship Earth, Magic Journeys (kite section, Epcot taking flight)
When Imagination is set free: Imagination, Making Memories, Veggie veggie fruit fruit from Kitchen Kabaret, Fun to be Free from World of Motion
Make peace come with you forever and ever Celebrate the Future, Tapestry of Nations, Golden Dreams , I saw this segment as a look into the future of Epcot and then blends into Whole New World (which was my least favorite part but they are tying it to HarmonioUs coming up which will be heavy on Disney movie themes)
ending whole new world with Disney's voice again telling us that Epcot always be in a state of becoming...

To me the story was the evolution of Epcot.
The show starts with "one little spark of inspiration" and Disney's voice announcing the plans for Epcot
Intro music of the opening ceremony with "We've just begun...to dream"
If you Can Dream It intertwined with Spaceship (welcome to your future) and original attractions, Universe of Energy, Listen to the Land, Horizons,
Soarin to Tower and Tomorrow's Child from Spaceship Earth, Magic Journeys (kite section, Epcot taking flight)
When Imagination is set free: Imagination, Making Memories, Veggie veggie fruit fruit from Kitchen Kabaret, Fun to be Free from World of Motion
Make peace come with you forever and ever Celebrate the Future, Tapestry of Nations, Golden Dreams , I saw this segment as a look into the future of Epcot and then blends into Whole New World (which was my least favorite part but they are tying it to HarmonioUs coming up which will be heavy on Disney movie themes)
ending whole new world with Disney's voice again telling us that Epcot always be in a state of becoming...

Right. A "whole new world" suggests the upcoming show, but it's also about the in-progress transformation of Epcot.

Just watched the video and loved hearing the old music. We wish Disney will bring back so much of the theme music to the rides and pavilions. For Epcot Forever, we would have added the original narration from Spaceship Earth: Who Are We, Where Have We Come From, Where Are We Going". Seems to be perfect for the retheming of EPCOT in the coming years. There is so much to look forward to seeing IF they do it right and don't cheap out.

I liked it better. I didn't dislike Illuminations, but I think I mostly liked it because I was in Epcot at night with that atmosphere, and what's not to like about that? I found the globe portion, frankly, a little boring. I thought this was great because of the nostalgic music, the kites were actually very cool, and the fireworks were much better than prior. I hope I get to see if in person before the permanent show starts, and I hope I like it better than this "placeholder", because I am very happy with it.

I loved it but I am nostalgic for the Epcot I knew in the 80's and 90's. Can't wait to see it in person this January and already booked the dining package.

Not gonna lie (and it looks like this is an unpopular opinion) but I thought it was crap. Illuminations had such a mature and beautiful soundtrack (granted an outdated pop song as well but I loved that lol). I like the feel of reflections of earth. For some reason the kid singing worked for Wishes but not for this for me. And somehow the little tributes they had just didn't do it for me. The whole new world section really felt like a slap in the face for me too, like "hey just so you know Epcot is gonna be about IPs now because we don't have enough of that!" lol The fireworks themselves were nice and the kites were okay, I just didn't like the soundtrack. Someone mentioned they felt it was a love letter to Epcot and those who grew up with it. I grew up with Epcot but I just couldn't get into this.

Not gonna lie (and it looks like this is an unpopular opinion) but I thought it was crap. Illuminations had such a mature and beautiful soundtrack (granted an outdated pop song as well but I loved that lol). I like the feel of reflections of earth. For some reason the kid singing worked for Wishes but not for this for me. And somehow the little tributes they had just didn't do it for me. The whole new world section really felt like a slap in the face for me too, like "hey just so you know Epcot is gonna be about IPs now because we don't have enough of that!" lol The fireworks themselves were nice and the kites were okay, I just didn't like the soundtrack. Someone mentioned they felt it was a love letter to Epcot and those who grew up with it. I grew up with Epcot but I just couldn't get into this.

It's funny - I had the same feeling about RoE, because I dearly loved the incarnation with classical music. My reaction was, "oh, I guess Aaron Copland and Saint-Saens and Tchaikovsky weren't GOOD ENOUGH FOR DISNEY, I guess we needed this crap Muzak in-house music so they could pocket all the songwriter royalties too. :)

I warmed up to it a lot, but man, I was deeply resentful for a long time...

I guess I’ll look forward to seeing it next spring on our trip, but I was not enthralled by the video. I LOVED the original Illuminations and continued to enjoy it even as it changed. The show had some nice touches, but did not have the emotional resonance. I must admit that having all the “Kite pullers” driving around in the water in the dark makes me a little worried for them. I’m sure it is well choreographed, but it seems like an accident waiting to happen. .

I watched the live stream and really didn't like it.:duck: The music, particularly the kids singing, I didn't like. I liked the fireworks and kites though.

I'm not sure if it's because I love Illuminations so much but it just made me feel meh.

I did love the part with Walt's voice though.:cloud9:

I'll try again when I am there in person and maybe it will be better. :)

Right. A "whole new world" suggests the upcoming show, but it's also about the in-progress transformation of Epcot.
I think this could have been accomplished by using Epcot based music though. They had a brief snippet of We’ve Just Begun to Dream from Epcot’s opening, but it would have worked just as well as the finale, emphasizing that from the beginning Epcot was always intended to grow and change. It also has the kind of orchestration that would work well for a finale.

For those who said they didn’t recognize the songs, none of us knew the music when ROE first performed over the lagoon, but it became a favorite and something that was quintessentially Epcot. It is possible to enjoy a show without immediately recognizing the music, if the show is produced well. We are always being exposed to new music in life and we grow to enjoy a lot of it.

I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to wish that the new HarmoniUS would have been more original composition and less Disney Songbook. Epcot has always seemed like the most appropriate park for original ideas and as much as I enjoy Disney standards in the MK, I want something more at Epcot.

i think that sum it up very well.
Watched it live last night, and then 2 other videos today.
Its a very nice fireworks display to music. Some neat effects, but just lacks the emotion that Illuminations had.
I think I'd be more upset if this was the final replacement. Its ok as a temporary filler. Hoping the final show has more substance.
Waiting to see it live in a few weeks. Maybe it plays better live.

Full disclosure: Illuminations was my all-time favourite show. I loved it because it celebrated achievement and looked forward positively to the future. The new show was barely a bookmark. They should have called it: Epcot: Whatever.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter