Embarkation day: Those first couple hours

Impromark

Mouseketeer
Experienced Disney cruisers are asked to complete the following sentence for the benefit of us first-timers:

“On embarkation day, after I first get access to my cabin, and before the safety drill, I...”

“On embarkation day, after I first get access to my cabin, and before the safety drill, I...”

... unpack, explore the ship, check out open house at kids club, find out about pin trading night, ect.

Unpack our luggage and put everything away. My dh takes our dd to the club's open house and I can get everything unpacked and put away in about 20 mins. I use packing cubes for our clothes, so that also makes unpacking very quick. We've been on 4 cruises with our 5th coming up, so I pretty much know where to put everything we bring. I then join dh and dd in the club. If I need to go to guest services for anything I'll do that after unpacking, otherwise I just relax and do things as they come.

Experienced Disney cruisers are asked to complete the following sentence for the benefit of us first-timers:

Check for adult restaurant reservations, tastings, or meet and greets that I was not able to book ahead of time.

We've done 7 night cruises and so what I do first before the safety drill is unpack. I don't like rummaging through luggage - I unpack everyone's clothing, toiletries, toys, etc. Once empty we put the lugagge away and don't look at it again until we have to pack up again. It helps me feel settled and ready to just relax and enjoy.

Since the bags usually aren't there by 1:30 I try to spend some time at the adult pool/Satellite Falls which is usually deserted. Its a good time for a nap in the sun after a late night, park day, or a long travel day the previous day. We check periodically (or see if the kids are in the room to let us know) if the bags have arrived. Once they do I try to get going on the unpacking as my goal is to have that all done by 4:00 so once we finish the drill it's vacation time. Also, if I haven't finished with the business I need to take care of before the rooms are ready at 1:30, I will do that...things like putting gift cards on our account at Guest Services, signing up for the 5K if we are doing that, etc...

You mean after jumping up and down for joy and feeling oh so blessed? :banana: :banana: :banana: I unpack, and then go exploring. If I had any more tastings, etc., I wanted, as dcassetta mentioned, I would go to the appropriate location to try and snag those bookings. :goodvibes

DH: Goes to gets a beer and then gets on Wifi LOL on the pool deck.
I usually run around getting all the character stuff/tasting reservations (that can only be booked on board) squared away. Otherwise, unpack.

Presumably, I've already booked any activities I couldn't get online (which is the first thing I do) and already had lunch (the second thing I do) and hung out on the pool deck with a libation (what I do until my state room is ready). Once in the room I savor the quiet and privacy after hours of crowds. If the luggage has been delivered, I unpack. Then I settle in and relax on the veranda until they call muster.

I usually unpack if my suitcases are there, order room service (All Hands on Deck and a Mickey Bar), and my daughter watches Mickey cartoons. My upcoming cruise I'll be napping because we are flying overnight to get there and will be very tired.

• order an All Hands On Deck platter from room service
  • tip the stateroom attendant some extra in cash
  • ask attendant to open the verandah divider between adjacent cabins (when traveling with guests in next door cabin)

On the Magic/Wonder ask the room steward to remove the small table in front of the couch to make more room. Then unpack until the DVC members meeting, just in case we win something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter