Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Each and every DVC contract is an "undivided interest", which means that any contract purchased, whether as little as 25 points, or an odd number like a couple of my contracts, can NOT be split. IOW, it would have to be sold in the precise point size it was at original purchase. Hope that makes sense.

Once Disney reacquires points, they can repackage any way they want combining or splitting. We, as purchasers cannot split them up, but they can.

Well, I wonder how quickly I can get 25 AKV or OKW direct...sigh.
If I was someone interesting in getting the extras for the direct buy - I think I would "take it where I can get it" even if it's Poly or CCV. You can always bank and borrow points and turn those 25 points into 75 points every other year.

Hearing this brought up several questions, some of which were already answered - but I'll ask the rest here:

1) Does this mean that NEW buyers from now on have to buy a minimum of 75 points? I thought it was 50 points previously, but if I was to be buying DVC for the first very first time, would I just not be allowed to buy a 50 point contract, or would I have to buy 75 points.

2) Can you still add on smaller contracts, even if they don't give you the benefits? Or are 25/50 point contracts going the way of the dodo bird / If you had wings? I'm especially curious about this one, because if they ever added another resort out in California, I would seriously consider getting a 50 point contract add-on, but not sure I could swing 75 points at direct prices!

3) Opinions on this one: Do we actually SEE an effect on resale this time? I don't think the last restriction had much effect, and in fact resale prices are sky-high right now. Could we finally see resale prices come back to a more reasonable level? I think the effect will again be small - people buying resale will just be resigned to the lack of perks.
I don’t think the minimum will be 75 to purchase. Just to receive benefits. DVC member benefits are not guaranteed and can go away at any time. But this increase seems like an incentive to probably keep them around. So glad about the grandfathering too. We just bought direct in January! Whew!

On the positive side, as DVC grows, 25 point contracts will become a smaller and smaller pot proportionately and may attract higher resale values in say 20 years.

I really doubt they would bend the rules for anyone looking to buy only 25 points, considering there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of people already in the system who will be looking to add those same 25 points over the next 2 weeks. Going in asking for 50 is the way to go because it gets you those points without having to wiggle anything for them, and your guide may be more motivated to find them for you, as it is worth more to DVC to sell those points than only 25.

On the phone purchasing $50 points at the moment to receive full member benefits. Apparently we would have needed to waitlist for the 25pt. option and would only have gotten member benefits on them if our resale closed before end of February. They were very nice but it does seem they are extremely busy with people calling today regarding this option.

On the phone purchasing $50 points at the moment to receive full member benefits. Apparently we would have needed to waitlist for the 25pt. option and would only have gotten member benefits on them if our resale closed before end of February. They were very nice but it does seem they are extremely busy with people calling today regarding this option.
Glad you're able to get in with the 50 at least. You will make use of the 25 extra points, and can appreciate not having to spend the few thousand extra to get 75.

Only thing left is Copper Creek with minimum of 50 points.Everything else is waitlist. That went fast lol.

This also sets things up for tiered perks. Those with less than 75 direct points being in the bottom tier.

Laura

They were very nice but it does seem they are extremely busy with people calling today regarding this option.

With the massive size of the membership, I can only IMAGINE how crazy busy there are today! My advice for anyone trying to add-on directly purchases points before the deadline is to LEAVE A VOICE MESSAGE for your guide if you do not get them live when you call. Your call will have a date/time stamp and the DVC guides try to return calls in order received. Let them know what you are looking for in your message. Good luck all!

Glad you're able to get in with the 50 at least. You will make use of the 25 extra points, and can appreciate not having to spend the few thousand extra to get 75.

Thanks for the suggestion! Your breakdown of the $260 savings per person per year on the AP is really what sole the deal for me... That will make these 50 points more than pay for themselves for my wife and I over the life of the contract.

This also sets things up for tiered perks. Those with less than 75 direct points being in the bottom tier.

Laura
Perhaps. Time will tell. It took awhile to change this policy and with the amount of people grandfathered in, tiered perks could get messy.

Laura

That possibility has always been around, though, and doesn't have to be limited to 75 points. They could have 250+ point moonlight magic events, etc, all they want. The thing about it is that will not help them sell many more points. By making 75 the new minimum going forward, it makes people who were in my buying position last summer take a look at buying 75 points up front. I went into the purchasing process knowing I could add on only 25, and did just that. If at the time 75 was the minimum, I would have planned for that. It would have gotten Disney an extra $3000 or so once they bought a resale via ROFR and then resold it to me.
They will now be able to do this going forward, and will probably drive a lot more people into just buying all of their points direct as opposed to piecing a contract together.

On the positive side, as DVC grows, 25 point contracts will become a smaller and smaller pot proportionately and may attract higher resale values in say 20 years.

Small contracts are already barely cheaper than direct. I can't really think of a reason why I'd want a 25 point contract via resale at all if I can buy it direct for nearly the same price. I can only see that if they increase the 50 point as a new buyer rule or if they stop allowing members to buy 25 points as an add-on.

No Aulani? That surprises me, but I haven’t called.
I suspect Aulani, HH & VB are available, too. CCV is probably the only WDW on-site resort left. (VGC hasn't really been available for some time).

Small contracts are already barely cheaper than direct. I can't really think of a reason why I'd want a 25 point contract via resale at all if I can buy it direct for nearly the same price. I can only see that if they increase the 50 point as a new buyer rule or if they stop allowing members to buy 25 points as an add-on.

And I really doubt they would do that. Why drive people to the resale market when you can just as easily make money off of them yourself?

This is also worth noting, got this from a Facebook group I’m in, so thought it’d be worth sharing.

This is what a new document says that every direct owner has to sign beginning Feb 25th.

The incidental benefits described in this Statement are offered to prospective purchasers of the vacation ownership plan. These benefits are available for your use a period of 3 years or less after the first date that the vacation ownership plan is available for your use. The availability of the incidental benefits may or may not be renewed or extended. You should not purchase an interest in the vacation ownership plan in reliance upon the continued availability or renewal or extension of these benefits.

Which resort did you get? I tried calling to buy 50 and couldn’t get anywhere.

When we called a little bit ago all they had for AKV was February UY. Everything else for AKV was waitlisted. Luckily that is what we needed.

I agree with being patient and leaving messages for reps today. Ours was extremely polite and patient but you could tell it was crazy and he was trying to move through the process as quickly as possible.

Laura
It's already tiered- those with less than 75 get nowt as we say in Yorkshire.
This is also worth noting, got this from a Facebook group I’m in, so thought it’d be worth sharing.

This is what a new document says that every direct owner has to sign beginning Feb 25th.

The incidental benefits described in this Statement are offered to prospective purchasers of the vacation ownership plan. These benefits are available for your use a period of 3 years or less after the first date that the vacation ownership plan is available for your use. The availability of the incidental benefits may or may not be renewed or extended. You should not purchase an interest in the vacation ownership plan in reliance upon the continued availability or renewal or extension of these benefits.

This hasn't changed- the 3 years is in the statute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter