Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by mrsap, Feb 11, 2018.

1. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

Yes, you get 2018 points and all years going forward until expiration.

You don't get 2017, because your 2018 use Year began 2-1-2018, and we are already past that.

southerngirl528 and PSUDinsey like this.
  2. 4luv2cdisney

4luv2cdisney DIS Veteran

People have to buy direct for this whole system to work. Period.

I just attended a Moonlight Magic event and it was worth more than a MVMCP or MNSSHP in my opinion.

And now the regular APs went up and the savings to DVC members is even greater.

Add it up. It's worth a lot. The 25 point add-on was a loophole and they're closing it. If the economy stays good, they will continue to make these changes. When I wanted to buy years ago, I was told 160 points was the minimum and we couldn't afford it so we walked. Had they offered us 50, we would have been members long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they start messing with that.

These are direct sales incentives. It's business. We all have a choice....save $ on resale or pay more and get the benefits. I think some people get a little salty because they know others have resale contracts they picked up in 2010 for like $50/pt and still have full benefits. Hey, we all could have done the same. It is what it is. Of course it will sting a little for the people that are in the process of closing resale, etc. right now. That's just bad timing / bad luck and understandable to be upset.

I would like to buy 2 - 40 point Oct UY contracts at BLT (I think). There's no way I'm finding exactly that thru resale, so I either pay the premium for exactly what I want or settle for something else. Choices. Decisions.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. Vohdre

Vohdre Mouseketeer

This is my other issue. If I was going to do 100 points resale at ~$130pt +25 Add On for $185 (I think that's current BLT price) that's about $18,000. If I did 125 points direct that's over $23,000. As I said I just don't think I can find a small enough resale contract to do a 75 point Add On.

5. ziravan

ziravan Welcome Home

southerngirl528 likes this.
  6. 4luv2cdisney

4luv2cdisney DIS Veteran

I hope they find your points! I feel for anyone in your position. It's bad timing.

hlhlaw07, ziravan and wdw4rfam like this.
  7. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

1. I would guess you could still get 50, but they would push hard for 75 to get you the perks. That one is just a guess, though.

2. I would also assume you can add on anywhere over 25 points. Disney would not want to restrict people who already own, or who are not looking to just get extra benefits, from giving them their money. I see 25 point contracts suddenly becoming very available after the 25th...

3. Yes I could see this impacting resale, especially the 100 point or smaller contracts. The AP discount is becoming significant enough that families looking to buy in will view it as a necessity, and would then be more likely to just buy 150 points direct than to try 75 resale and 75 direct. The former method of 125 resale and 25 direct made much more sense.

8. pkrieger2287

pkrieger2287 Disney Dreamer

Sooo... Wife and I have a resale contract that just passed ROFR and are waiting for closing. That likely won't occur prior to this deadline thus I won't have a chance to do the 25pt. add-on option that we were originally planning for the benefits.

We're basically screwed correct? Lol

9. 4luv2cdisney

4luv2cdisney DIS Veteran

The decision will be different for different people based on the benefits they'd be able to take advantage of. We just bought DVC APs and attended a Moonlight magic event. I was only there 3 days, 2 nights and saved quite a few bucks with my DVC discount, too (haven't activated the AP's yet). I can easily say that $1500 of that price difference would already be absorbed if it was our family. We are also planning to take advantage of some tour discounts, etc. If you're not buying APs or taking advantage of other "stuff", let it go and don't worry about it.

southerngirl528 likes this.
  10. Vohdre

Vohdre Mouseketeer

Yeah there's not much you can do about it either. Even if you do manage to close before the 24th you would likely have to Add On at CCV or Aluani.

11. ziravan

ziravan Welcome Home

Call now, buy 50 as a new member. Same UY if you can, different if necessary.

If same UY, give your new number to your resale broker so that the resale contract can be added to your now “current” contract.

Yes. You probably missed the 25 point add on. But, if you work it, you can possibly still get in for 50.

Ben E N and Greg36 like this.
  12. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

Unfortunately - yes that's the case....you MIGHT be able to still buy 50 points direct and get the points, but unlikely you can add 25. However, I would suggest you call Disney and asked. Since you have passed ROFR it's now mostly formality, they might let you get the 25 point amount...but I would guess not.

13. 4luv2cdisney

4luv2cdisney DIS Veteran

I see some people suggesting a 50 point purchase (don't need your resale to close) as an alternative. Saves you 25 points but only you know if it's worth it to you and availability is also in question.

14. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

Maybe not. You know what use year and resort you are buying and how it will be titled. Why not call today and see if you can get an add on to match. You might have to buy 50, though, since they will probably consider you a new member since you haven't closed and so must buy minimum for new contract. You have to decide if that would be worth it to you. Good luck!

15. Wakey

Wakey DIS Veteran

Just seen

I think I know what you are saying here Ziravan- well done you.

kboo likes this.
  16. pkrieger2287

pkrieger2287 Disney Dreamer

Wife is on the phone now... We will find out soon.

17. southerngirl528

southerngirl528 Dreamin' of Maui

I would be surprised if DVC did NOT have these resorts available right now, especially if you do not put off calling to purchase. I'm betting there will be a lot of sold-out inventory being scarfed up before the deadline that is fast approaching.

18. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

I really doubt they would bend the rules for anyone looking to buy only 25 points, considering there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of people already in the system who will be looking to add those same 25 points over the next 2 weeks. Going in asking for 50 is the way to go because it gets you those points without having to wiggle anything for them, and your guide may be more motivated to find them for you, as it is worth more to DVC to sell those points than only 25.

19. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

They could also be hoarding the 25 point contracts. If just 2/5 of the people who were going to buy 25 points end up buying 75 instead, they still come out ahead.

20. southerngirl528

As someone here has said, one can manage 2 UY's (2 separate memberships), but as a 20+ year member, I personally would avoid that unless it was truly the ONLY option. Too much hassle IMHO.

You would get Feb 2018 points, but would not get the so-called "back-dated" points from the 2017 use year since that is now past.

21. southerngirl528

Each and every DVC contract is an "undivided interest", which means that any contract purchased, whether as little as 25 points, or an odd number like a couple of my contracts, can NOT be split. IOW, it would have to be sold in the precise point size it was at original purchase. Hope that makes sense.