EEK I'm Going Camping...Please Help!!

Bama Ed and Peg110: Thanks a bunch for all your help and advice. We will just have our van and the camper in our spot so it sounds like two carts would fit. There will be 3 "grown-ups" and 4 kiddos, so if we go the cart route we'd need two. Though if we could score a six seater I think we could make sure all our butts are in the seats! No need for hind ends to be dragging. :) I will have to run the numbers again. I see the money I saved by camping quickly disappearing on fun new extras I've come across and some other items I feel we "need"....new shower flip flops and park water bottles are a must, right? :rolleyes:

feel we "need"....new shower flip flops and park water bottles are a must, right? :rolleyes:

Oh most definitely need the flip flops

Here is a nice one with Free Shipping and free returns From Bergdorf Goodman.

BGN2R9K_mu.jpg
Only $620 a pair! :eek:

:lmao:

On the issue of the Carts... During our trip in November 2016, we got a 4 seater and there were 5 of us. Only on rare occasions was it ever an issue. Out little one would "Squeeze" her but in between 2 of us for those short trips.

I wouldn't let my kids go anywhere I couldn't visually see them in WDW. There are campsites in view of bathrooms, etc. Also, this place is huge and it's easy to lose your bearings there.

Bama Ed and Peg110: Thanks a bunch for all your help and advice. We will just have our van and the camper in our spot so it sounds like two carts would fit. There will be 3 "grown-ups" and 4 kiddos, so if we go the cart route we'd need two. Though if we could score a six seater I think we could make sure all our butts are in the seats! No need for hind ends to be dragging. :) I will have to run the numbers again. I see the money I saved by camping quickly disappearing on fun new extras I've come across and some other items I feel we "need"....new shower flip flops and park water bottles are a must, right? :rolleyes:

Golf carts are an expensive convenience - not a necessity. We've been to the Fort annually nearly as my signature shows with 3 kids and only got carts twice because the grandparents were with us and we got the carts for them. We drive to the non-MK parts with our car pass and park for free and for MK we got down to the boat dock. We generally stayed around the Meadow Trading Post area in the middle of the Fort when we brought the kids when they were younger because that's where the movie/campfire area was, the pool, the store, etc. That made it very walkable. Don't feel like you have to get one (or two) carts because it feels like everyone else does or recommends them. I save my money to pay for souvenirs or more meals eating out (DW likes that idea).

Just my opinion.

Bama Ed

QUOTE="peg110, post: 56998344, member: 549466"]Oh most definitely need the flip flops

Here is a nice one with Free Shipping and free returns From Bergdorf Goodman.

View attachment 215938
Only $620 a pair! :eek:

:lmao:

$620.00 a pair....holy goodness! :scared: That would put a huge dent in my dole whip fund! Lol

I wouldn't let my kids go anywhere I couldn't visually see them in WDW. There are campsites in view of bathrooms, etc. Also, this place is huge and it's easy to lose your bearings there.

I will probably lean towards this frame of mind. Since we have never been to the Fort I'm out interested in spending my vacation time looking for/worrying about where my kids are. We will be following a buddy system with kids always. Needing to be with a grown up. For the first day or two I may need a grown up too, before I get a feel for the place.

I see me leaning towards no cart. I definitely won't reserve one ahead. If it works out to get one for a day while we are there then fine, if not we will still,have fun. :yay:

I will probably lean towards this frame of mind. Since we have never been to the Fort I'm out interested in spending my vacation time looking for/worrying about where my kids are. We will be following a buddy system with kids always. Needing to be with a grown up. For the first day or two I may need a grown up too, before I get a feel for the place.

I see me leaning towards no cart. I definitely won't reserve one ahead. If it works out to get one for a day while we are there then fine, if not we will still,have fun. :yay:
I think it's good to keep an eye on your kids. Certainly their age/responsibility is a factor, but I think it won't take you long to realize that the Fort is a warm and inviting, and SAFE place.

I agree with Ed on the carts. We have had them twice. Once from On-site, once from Offsite. Both had their advantages, but really it was just a Nice thing and not a necessary thing.
So Disney prices? :lmao:

j
Well sort of. It's the discounted prices, right? :D

Yes Peg 100, do agree it does feel very safe there and depends on kids age also, but besides that it's easy to get lost, there are also gators in the water there. There was one right behind our site in 300 near the dog park in water last March which we reported and took pic of, and FW didn't seem to think a big deal. To my husband who lived in Florida for many years this was no big deal either, but then sadly we all saw what happened at GF.

one thing to remember about the family/handicapped restrooms is it can also be someone who takes longer to get out than a normal restroom. if your child is in a hurry this might not be the best choice. I know my now almost 8 year old grandson started going by himself in mens room when he started refusing to use ladies room with his mom. also be aware of the park like playgrounds at the fort. you will most have one near your loop. it will be close but not close enough for the kids to go by selves

I just had to post that my friend who wasn't sure if she could come is a "for sure" on the trip! :yay: I am so excited, I just had to share. Surely 2 super smart ladies and one semi intelligent lady (I'm giving myself a tad bit of credit.lol) will be able to handle 4 kids and a camper for a week, right?

Go for it as we used to tell Jumpers go for it you never know you might fly. No you'll do fine You have gotten tons of great advice here and any more questions will be cheerfully answered. In a pinch you can reach out to Tiggerdad and he will send the NSS rescue teams. Of course they will most likely rob you blind but they will show up

We rented a camper this past summer and had it delivered to the Fort! It was a great trip! They totally set everything up for us! All we had to learn how to do was insert the key into the door and open it! :D:D:D:D

We didn't have to do anything with the camper. They even set up the outside chairs and decorations. It was really peaceful, and we enjoyed the extra space. We are a family of five with kids that were 19, 16, and 10 at the time.

You and your family are going to have a great time! If the budget allows it, I would rent a golf cart. We were lucky and our relatives let us use theirs. The kids enjoyed riding it around and sure made it easy to get to the buses, boat and swimming pool!

Happy Planning!

Mickymom: I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience in renting a camper. If you don't mind me asking, were the towels they provided enough for showers? I'm planning on bringing extra towels for the pool but am wondering if I need even a few more extras for showers. I know we can do laundry, but I tend to use a lot of towels and want to be prepared.

I put requests in for shirts today, so things are getting Exciting in the planning department. My oldest now knows there is some sort of surprise coming, but has no clue it's Disney. I told her she will find out on Easter. Hopefully she won't ask everyday how long til Easter! Lol

Hello,

I'm back with a few more questions. Though my trip is still almost 3 months away, I'm really starting to plan, plan, plan. Lists are being made, bags are being set aside for travel, shirts are being ordered. Yeah!
Anyway, you have been so helpful I thought I'd better ask while things "pop" into my head. As always, thank you for your help and advice for this non-camper who is going on a camping adventure!

1. I know all campers are different, but how many outlets will there be approx. we are renting a 5th wheel from FL. Camper Rentals if that helps. Just wondering as we plan to bring a power strip or two for charging phones and such.

2. While I don't plan on bringing anything of too much value, do you keep your items of importance locked in your campers or cars. I'll have my phone and cash/cards with me during the day, but what about DVD players and things like that. I found the ones I'm bringing on sale so if they are lost/broke/taken it won't be the end of the world, but am curious. I had a not so magical moment on our last trip when all of our Christmas decorations we had purchased were taken from our stroller. MY fault completely for getting wrapped up in the "bubble" and thinking nobody would dig through all our coats and such to steal our much anticipated and saved for souvenirs.
:worried: Lesson learned and all purchases will either be kept with one of our party at all times or sent to place of pick up in the parks. I also realize that taking something from a stroller is different than breaking into a camper or car but am just trying to be more prepared/smart this time. We obviously won't leave items in site/setting out and again are not bringing anything too valuable but want to know what others do.

Thanks again for your help. I know you are all probably popcorn:: and :lmao:at my lack of knowledge and can't wait for a report to read to see if I survive (I have actually traveled in my life, just not camping with 4 kiddos..lol). You are seriously though the kindest online help a person could ask for. (Can you imagine if I were trying to do this in a tent!! :rotfl2:)

We leave items in our camper. There are 2 locks on camper doors, handle and dead bolt be sure to lock both. If you have any large amounts of cash or small valuable things they can be locked in a box at the front desk. We hardly bring any cash everything gets charged to the "room".

3 months away. I'll be you're getting excited.

As for your questions,

1. Bring some 6 ways. Most newer campers have a number of outlets. Many new trailers even have USB ports, but it seems like there are never enough or they aren't in the right place.

2. Personally, I think you camper is a safer place than the car. On a side note, campgrounds are generally pretty safe places. Something about campers being more of a "community". The Fort even more so. But like anywhere, common sense goes a long way. If you make it easy, some people can't resist.

j

3 months away. I'll be you're getting excited.

As for your questions,

1. Bring some 6 ways. Most newer campers have a number of outlets. Many new trailers even have USB ports, but it seems like there are never enough or they aren't in the right place.

2. Personally, I think you camper is a safer place than the car. On a side note, campgrounds are generally pretty safe places. Something about campers being more of a "community". The Fort even more so. But like anywhere, common sense goes a long way. If you make it easy, some people can't resist.

j
I agree with both of these. Our new TT had lots of "Outlets" but NO 12 V outlets or USB so I installed some. A power strip is a good idea so that you could plug all the "Rechargeables" into it (Phones, Camera's Tablets, etc...) but unless you are bringing an obnoxious amount of electronics, I am sure you will be okay.

As for "Valuables" particularly things like CASH and Credit Cards, I try to spread it around. Some in the Camper, Some in the wallet and some in the car/truck, that way if any one of them is compromised, they don't get it all.

Also I have found the Campground to be quite safe with no issues. That's not to say that nothing can (or will) happen, it's just not been an issue for us (and hopefully never will be. )

I too endorse the advice provided by Teamubr and seconded by Peg. We bring at least 1 SURGE PROTECTED power strip for each of us. I also keep an outdoor rated multi access extension cord or 2 in my electrical box for use around the camp site
As for your newly acquired DISNEY Treasures We have things we buy in a Park sent to Meadows Trading post and what we get in Disney Springs unless it is something we intend to use immediately we have shipped home. As for valuables I like Paul's recommendation. Some cash and cards on me some in coach. With size of our WoookieBear most people are taken back a bit anyway and with the 2 savages I feel confident nobody will be foolish enough to try Common sense needs to be employed. People don't want what they can't see or don't know about Bear in mind that attacks by NSS have been known to defeat even the best defenses but prudent precautions should still be employed

Thank you all for your advice. We won't have an outrageous amount of things to charge, but will probably bring a power strip or two....just to be safe.

I received my first order of "Park Shirts" today! Things are getting real. We have the reveal date set for April 8th. My friends who are traveling with us are going to be here for the big surprise. Still not sure exactly what we are going to do for said surprise/reveal, but I know no matter what we do, it will be a memorable moment.

Thanks again for all of your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter