EEK I'm Going Camping...Please Help!!

It's going to be harder keeping this trip under wraps than I thought. Wish me luck.
I know what you mean, we are planning a trip for June 2018, Me, DW, DS, his DW and 3 grandkids, trying to keep from saying anything in front of grandkids is hard, our park tickets came today, (UT had good deal on 7 day hopper passes) and we are getting ready to make Fort reservations about the end of January, just need to narrow down the dates for sure. Go with the good advice you have got here, only you know your family and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

So, I have no clue how to post a quote from a previous poster...:confused3 I will have to look that up.

To rajak73, thanks and have fun planning your trip. For me planning a trip and the anticipation of travel is almost as much fun as the trip itself.

Another question...
Im planning on taking some sort of line for drying clothes (mainly swimwear and towels) are there usually good places at each site to rig something up? :laundy:

I've got our dining reservations made and am working in shirts.

Oh and is it worth ordering a special :cake: for a birthday? My son is turning 2 and I know he won't remember but thought it'd be fun for pictures and for MY memories. Just not sure I can justify the price.

I almost blew the surprise with my oldest yesterday:sad2:. It's going to be harder keeping this trip under wraps than I thought. Wish me luck.
When we were planning our trip for August 2016, we were trying to keep it a surprise from our DD11. She is a pip though.... She figured it out. She sees the Disney flier on DW's computer desk and notes the date on it. Don't underestimate those kiddos. :)

So, I have no clue how to post a quote from a previous poster...:confused3 I will have to look that up.
Okay... 2 types of "Quoting" (or replying). Perhaps a Graphic could help.
quote.jpg

You can "Highlight" a section that you want to "Quote" and a pop-up will prompt you for "+Quote | Reply" to allow you to quote that section or "Reply" to what was highlighted. The "+Quote" adds it to the "Quote" section so you can add multiple quotes, where "Reply" will put it right in the new dialog box to allow you to start replying immediately.

The second one (lower right of the image) does the same thing except this one quotes or replies to the entire message (and not just what was highlighted).

To get the "quotes" that you added to the "Quote Queue" there is an "Insert Quotes...." button at the bottom of the dialog box area.

Hope this helps. Happy Quoting! :thumbsup2

Depends if you don't mind spending the money, here's mine to DW at Trails End, pricey but was worth it to me.
View attachment 214139

Very sweet! I will have to do some more research. I'm guessing I will order one. We hardly ever get a vacation let alone to Disney, so I might as well go "all out", right? :flower1:

Thanks for the help with the quotes and reply. It doesn't work the best from my IPad but I'll get the hang of it....probably user error more than anything.

If you have an Ikea near you this drying rack is awesome. It's very lightweight and doesn't take up much space. We got it because occasionally we camp places that don't let you hang lines and this is easy to put up, even inside the trailer. We have put as many as 10 beach sized towels on it, lots of room.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40244831/

Frog1301 First close your eyes, take a deep breath, click your heels together 3 time, and just keep repeating " There's no Place like The Fort. There's no Place like The Fort ...."
Okay so you are renting a trailer Let the people you are renting from know you have no idea of how things work and ask that a KNOWLEDGEABLE rep on hand and available to explain how key features work. Think Slideouts, water (a Source (b tanks Fresh, Black, Grey c) Hot water heater, d) Capacity) Heating Air Conditioning System. Shore Line (source of electrical power) How TV System Works (you did say you have kids and local weather forecast comes in handy too)
If you can ask a friend that owns a camper if they can show you these features on their trailer or coach. Most work the same way but there can be several variations between companies but you will at least have a starting point
Consider a weekend warm up trip at a local CG that rents trailers and ask questions of staff member that sets it up for you

Last edited:
FtW Mike: Thanks for the good advice. I actually have a good friend who owns a camper and her and her husband said they would be happy to give me a lesson or two on how things generally run. That will be super helpful. Will most rental companies try to time their arrival/set up with our arrival time? We are unsure of our arrival time since we are driving in. We will have a timeframe but nothing set in stone. I should call and ask. When I booked the rental I made it very clear I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing when it comes to camping. I don't think I will have an opportunity to do a trial run anytime before our trip. All that being said, I really am looking forward to this adventure.

5kidsmommy: I don't live near an IKEA but I will do some research and see if I can find something similar, thank you.

Some of the items I ordered for the kids Easter baskets have arrived, so things are getting more "real". :banana:

As far as strollers, is there a reason for getting 2 vs 1 double?
We rented from Apple Strollers for $7/day and it was worth every penny for our 5/2 yo kids at the time. I would not want to mess with two different ones, but each person has a difference of opinion ;)

I would bring my 6yo son in the bathroom with me. I bring my almost 5yo. I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to that stuff, even in "safe areas" because recently a man in Austin tried to rape a child in the women's bathroom at the LIBRARY. I don't take my eyes off my kids until they are older and can fight for themselves but that's me :)

My hubby also does not let the girls go in the men's bathrooms so I am always on potty patrol.

My hubby also does not let the girls go in the men's bathrooms so I am always on potty patrol.
Thankfully we don't have to worry about this any more, but when we did, We always opted to have our daughter go to the girls room whenever possible. It wasn't always possible though. If I had her by myself and, well, it was "Time", we would go to the mens room. I would use the "Family" restrooms whenever available though. If not and the mens room was the only choice, then that's what we did. For us, it was a "Last Choice" though, because of course, the kids never have to "Go" at a "Convenient" time. Right? :hyper:

As far as strollers, is there a reason for getting 2 vs 1 double?
We rented from Apple Strollers for $7/day and it was worth every penny for our 5/2 yo kids at the time. I would not want to mess with two different ones, but each person has a difference of opinion ;)

I would bring my 6yo son in the bathroom with me. I bring my almost 5yo. I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to that stuff, even in "safe areas" because recently a man in Austin tried to rape a child in the women's bathroom at the LIBRARY. I don't take my eyes off my kids until they are older and can fight for themselves but that's me :)

For this trip I think two will work better for our group. I know that we will want to split up sometimes and (I hope)it will be easier to do that with two strollers.

I'm glad to know that you take your child to the bathroom with you. I am more of a worrier in situations like this because of a similar story.

peg110: Yes, it's pretty much guaranteed that kids will have to "go" at the most inconvenient times. With mine it's usually 5 minutes down the road....after I had just told them to try before we got in the car. :sad2:

I'm glad to know that you take your child to the bathroom with you. I am more of a worrier in situations like this because of a similar story.
You know your kids the best, it doesn't bother me at all if parents have their kids in the bathrooms, it is different to me with a girls in the men 's than the other way, don't ask me why, to me it just is. LOL
I don't think I will have an opportunity to do a trial run anytime before our trip. All that being said, I really am looking forward to this adventure.
You will have a blast, probably go home and want to buy a pop-up, TT, or Fiver. :thumbsup2With that said, when they go through the workings of the RV, have another person with you so you both can take everything in, there's not a lot you should have to worry about, but you may want someone else to remind you of some things. (Like black tank, I never leave mine open. Only open when I'm dumping the black tank.) The gray tanks I leave open. Everything else should already be hooked and running, water, water heater, propane tanks full, plugged into shore power, cable tv hooked. If you have any concerns after you get there, be sure to ask here, I'm sure someone would walk you through any troubleshooting.

You know your kids the best, it doesn't bother me at all if parents have their kids in the bathrooms, it is different to me with a girls in the men 's than the other way, don't ask me why, to me it just is. LOL
Probably because a boy going into the ladies room isn't likely to "Witness" too much as the stalls are all separate and usually with a door, whereas the men's room has stalls, but with the urinals there is usually nothing more than a divider and sometimes not even that.

Hi,
Back with a few more random questions.....

We are going to be in a premium spot. Are these near the canals? I'm trying really hard to not freak out about gators but I'll be honest, I'm not doing very a very good job. I realize camping means nature and animals come with nature. I can handle most things, but gators are on a different level of nature for me. I do not plan on wondering off trails or anything of such manor but just need to know that the odds of one being outside my door are semi low.

Next, do they provide towels at the pools or do I need to plan on a few extra for swimming?

I plan on bringing our own food ingredients to make s'mores, do I need to include roasting sticks or are they provided at the camp fire?

Thank you all again. I'm sure most of you are :sad2: at me by now and wondering what I'm doing trying to camp. I do so much appreciate your help. my second friend is about 90% sure she can come so that makes me super happy and excited.

frog,

Premiums are not near the canals much. 1300, 600, 500, 1400 (parts of these) back up to canals. Ask for a site in any other Premium loop (Premiums are 400-1400). I've only seen a gator once (little) in a canal in 15 years on a canoe ride and it was nowhere near camping loops.

Towels are NOT provided at the pool so BYO.

Sticks are NOT supplied. BYO or purchase one for less than $1 at the Conestoga Wagon (concession stand) behind the bleachers at the campfire. Burn the sticks in the fire when you are done with them.

Here's hoping you have a blast!

Bama Ed

Bama Ed: Thank you, thank you. I feel much more at ease. I made the mistake of checking out the Wildlife picture of the day thread and it kicked my anxiety into high gear....though I do hope to see some wildlife while there, just not THAT kind of wildlife.
Good to know I will need to pack plenty of towels.

Another random question. If we decide to rent golf carts (thinking of just on our non park day) is there enough room on the site for two carts? We will need two and from what I have read there is a spot for one car and one "extra" vehicle like a golf cart. Not a big deal but don't want to overcrowd or break rules. Thanks again.

Bama Ed: Thank you, thank you. I feel much more at ease. I made the mistake of checking out the Wildlife picture of the day thread and it kicked my anxiety into high gear....though I do hope to see some wildlife while there, just not THAT kind of wildlife.
Good to know I will need to pack plenty of towels.

Another random question. If we decide to rent golf carts (thinking of just on our non park day) is there enough room on the site for two carts? We will need two and from what I have read there is a spot for one car and one "extra" vehicle like a golf cart. Not a big deal but don't want to overcrowd or break rules. Thanks again.

The question of "Room on the site" is all relative. If you already have a huge trailer, a large truck an EZ-Up and what not.... Maybe 2 golf carts won't fit. If, however, You don't have a larger RV and/or Truck you may be able to.

When we were there in November, we had a GC on our site. Our TT was a 37' Coachmen towed by our F-250 Crew Cab Super Duty (6 and half foot bed). We did not have any other EZ up but we probably could have. We had plenty of room for our GC and probably could have done one more if we wanted to. We were in a Premium Loop (554) as well.

Hope this helps.

frog3101, I just got back from the Fort last week so I have a fresh perspective on your answer.

If it's only for a day or two, rent a Disney cart which is $59 + tax (about $65) total per day for a 4-seater. Noting the number of kids you have, Disney does have a few 6-seat carts that it rents for $79 + tax (about $85) total per day but you can't specify a 6-seater if you make a reservation. You should reserve two 4-seaters and if a 6'er is available, you can take it and they will adjust the payment.

The time of year you're going (end of May/beginning of June) is still not busy other than the long Memorial Day weekend. I would recommend you make a reservation for 2 carts to be on the safe side. Note golf cart rental availability match the check in/out times. Carts can be gotten after 1pm and are due back by 11am of return date (although I would always try to get one earlier than 1pm on the pickup day if one is available - doable unless the Fort is fully rented out).

The thing about a 4-seater versus a 6-seater is what I refer to as "butts in seats". Disney doesn't have policemen monitoring golf cart traffic. But common sense safety issues are foremost. Meaning, you can squeeze more than 4 people in a 4-seater AS LONG AS everyone is seated in the cart. Meaning your two skinniest kids can sit in the middle of the front and back seats and as long as everyone has their rear end fully on the cart cushion, you are good. Situations where people are half-crouched, standing and holding onto a vertical support or in another rider's lap are giant No-No's. If everyone has their butt in a seat, you are good to go. No drunk adults or minors behind the wheel either. That's just plain stupid.

Campsites have the main power post about halfway back with water/power and a few regular plugs but about 15 years ago they went thru and put a wooden post with more plugs up near the front of the loop for golf cart charging. So you should have room for two carts. If not, move your car up to the parking lot that day (we did that when we had a cart 2 weeks ago and the kids were more than happy to follow me up to the parking lot to park the Suburban and then carry me back to the site).

A cart is an expensive convenience IMO and we don't get one often (only 2nd time) but there are specific situations where they come in handy.

Bama Ed

PS - I use the "butts in seats" phrase because it was real life for me. A few times a year we sales folks used to have to travel to corporate events nearby in a charter bus. I had a few sales guys that were habitually late showing up. We would say "be there at 7am" but the bus wouldn't leave till 730am. So they would sleep in then they complained after missing their ride and said, "when do I HAVE to be there before the bus leaves"? I told them, "you better have your butt in the bus seat by 725am or we'll leave your rear end (and they were still expected to attend the event so they had to drive themself back and forth)". Henceforth the phrase, "butts in seats"...

Last edited:
No drunk adults or minors behind the wheel either. That's just plain stupid.

Agreed with this. To be clear however, that's "No Drunk adults" or "No Minors" behind the wheel. I would hope it would go without saying that "No Drunk Minors" are allowed at ANYTIME (behind the wheel or not) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter