Eeep! Name problem on airline ticket

roselark

DIS Veteran
Ugh! I just found out that we may have a problem on our tickets. I purchased tickets for myself and two friends for our upcoming trip at the end of August. I have always heard my friend use a hyphenated last name (maiden-married) and so that is what I put down. It turns out that her driver's license only lists her married name. Is this going to cause a problem getting through security? Anything we can do to avoid paying the $180 to change the ticket? :eek:

Legally, if you have a hyphenated last name, you can use whichever you prefer, or both.

I would imagine that it shouldn't be a problem. You can call the airline to check though.

If you call the airline don't tell them you want to change the name on the ticket. That will probably be interpreted as a request to change the actual passenger. Tell them you want to correct the name on the ticket.

I wouldn't waste my time calling.

It might depend on the security at that point. Usually when your ordering your tickets it lets you know that the name on the ticket should match the ID that the person will be using when going through the security checkpoint.

To be safe I would try to find a way to fix it without a fee or have her use some form of ID that has her maiden / married name.

It might depend on the security at that point. Usually when your ordering your tickets it lets you know that the name on the ticket should match the ID that the person will be using when going through the security checkpoint.

To be safe I would try to find a way to fix it without a fee or have her use some form of ID that has her maiden / married name.

I agree. I think some security folk will let it slide, but there are a few that won't without a hassle. Just to be safe, have your friend bring a bill that shows the hyphenated version of her name (so long as her address matches her ID's address or you'll be opening a new can of worms there).

They won't deny boarding or secuirty pass through. At worst she will be subjected to additional screening. I wouldn't worry about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!