ECV use by a teen?

If you rent it, chances are that even if your son drives it, Disney cast members won't stop you and make sure he's also old enough to drive it. As someone who has been a teen in a wheelchair at WDW, I can personally attest to the fact that learning to wheel your own chair while at WDW is not a good option, especially in parks like AK with many hilled sections. Without someone to push your son in a chair, a non-electric wheel chair probably won't work (unless he has a significant amount of time to practice between now and your trip). Unless he's likely going to be using an ECV for a while, I also wouldn't suggest buying one--it's just not practical. While this might not exactly follow the precise letter of the rules of any rental company (including rentals through Disney), I would suggest just renting the ECV in your own name and letting your son drive it. Or if there's an ECV company near you that will let him rent it and drive it, that would work too.

If you rent it, chances are that even if your son drives it, Disney cast members won't stop you and make sure he's also old enough to drive it. As someone who has been a teen in a wheelchair at WDW, I can personally attest to the fact that learning to wheel your own chair while at WDW is not a good option, especially in parks like AK with many hilled sections. Without someone to push your son in a chair, a non-electric wheel chair probably won't work (unless he has a significant amount of time to practice between now and your trip). Unless he's likely going to be using an ECV for a while, I also wouldn't suggest buying one--it's just not practical. While this might not exactly follow the precise letter of the rules of any rental company (including rentals through Disney), I would suggest just renting the ECV in your own name and letting your son drive it. Or if there's an ECV company near you that will let him rent it and drive it, that would work too.
Disney recently added the rules to their keyrings that say no one under 18 can drive their rental ones. If CMs do stop someone under 18 who is driving one of the park rental ones, they can confiscate it without refunding the rental fee.
My family has actually seen CMs talk to someone with a child driving and tell them they must get off. We saw one family who was stopped - then the teen got off and an adult male drove. Later on in that same area, they were stopped again and my DH saw security called to deal with them while he was waiting for DD and I (we were using the bathroom).

Also, keep in mind that in case of any accident or incident, the parent is liable and since they signed a rental agreement that said they agree to not allow anyone younger than 18 to drive it, their liability would likely be higher (I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but it is common sense). It's possible that the rental company's insurance forbids use by people under 18 also, so the renter could be on their own in paying damages.

So rather than lie, if you want to rent one for a child to use, do it on the up and up with a company that knows and agrees with you doing it.

OP here. I just want to clarify that I wouldn't allow my DS to drive an ECV now that I know he is too young. I was jokingly pointing out the vagueness of the language used- can't be rented by someobe under 18. I am hppy to report that he is doing better with his workouts. He can jump rope and is limping less too. So hopefully all will go smoothly. My left knee has been hurting and my Dr
Susoects inflammation. Ive been icing it and will take along Motrin. I can't get an MRI due to my anxiety issues so I hope i'll be abke to do all the walking. It's hard to believe that turning 40 causes your body to fall apart!

OP here. I just want to clarify that I wouldn't allow my DS to drive an ECV now that I know he is too young. I was jokingly pointing out the vagueness of the language used- can't be rented by someobe under 18. I am hppy to report that he is doing better with his workouts. He can jump rope and is limping less too. So hopefully all will go smoothly. My left knee has been hurting and my Dr
Susoects inflammation. Ive been icing it and will take along Motrin. I can't get an MRI due to my anxiety issues so I hope i'll be abke to do all the walking. It's hard to believe that turning 40 causes your body to fall apart!

Please don't tell me that (about turning 40). I turn 40 in a few weeks and I already feel like I'm falling apart due to a flare of my autoimmune issues. UGH!!!

Have you considered bringing somebody with you? Even a friend of your son's or a friend of yours? This somebody could take care of pushing the wheelchair since you're unable. This is an unfortunate reality of some special needs; we need help.

I did see that you wrote you would not try to rent one once you knew he was younger than the age allowed. I wrote my last post since others were still posting to rent one anyway - more for others who might read this later.

Glad to hear he is doing better.

As for falling apart once you reach 40, I hear you. Its like the warranty runs out and everything starts wearing out:rotfl:

3DisneyBuggs said:

I recently (12/30/11) had a repeat MRI done of my knee and just in case it might make a difference for you...they only put you into the machine to just below your waist. so if you can handle that, you would be good to go! They don't need to put you all the way into the tube to do the mri of your knee. I hope this helps you to know this if getting one done might help the Drs figure out what's going on a little better with your knee. Best of Luck to you!!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Hope he continues to heal for your trip. As for turning 40 and falling apart, wait until 50 hits. I tell ya getting old sucks. Is there any way your Dr. can give you an antiinflammatory meds for trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter