ECV Questions

BelleNBama

Earning My Ears
I've been reading the DIS boards for years but always as a lurker. This is my first post and hopefully all of you will be able to help me with some questions.

First a little background info. I've been fortunate enough to travel to WDW several times a year since the park opened when I was a very, very young. I know the ins and outs as a nondisabled person like I know the back of my hand; however, 11months ago, all of this changed.

I was involved in a serious accident (hit head on by a drunk driver) that severely injured my right leg. I've had extensive surgeries, almost a year of rehab, and enough metal placed in my leg to set off all metal dectors in a 100 mile radius!

I am able to walk some now, but I do walk with a limp and I'm not able to walk/stand for extended periods of time. I do have a handicap hangtag for the car (although, I'm still not able to drive yet). We will be in WDW two weeks from today for a 5night trip. We're DVC members and staying at BWV.

My questions are 1) Is it better to rent an ECV on or off property? 2) If off property, what company is the best? 3) How difficult is it to get an ECV onto Disney transportation, bus, boat, and monorail? and 4) Do I need my handicap car hangtag to get a guest assistance pass?

Any and all help with the questions above and/or anything else that may help make this trip a success is appreciated.

Hi, BelleNBama!

Most everyone here thinks that renting from an off-site provider is the best option, as it means that you will have the ECV at the resort and because if you park hop you may not get an ECV at the next park, as they can be out of them fairly early in the day.

If you scan down through the threads and look at the ones with "ECV" in the title, there should be a list of providers people here have used along with websites (if they have one) and phone numbers.

If you haven't ever driven an ECV, try one of the ones they have at grocery stores to get a bit of a feel for it, as those are clunkier and slower than the rental ones. Then when you get to WDW, drive the ECV around the resort and practicing backing up. The best park to drive in the first time is probably Epcot, as it has more open space. I don't use an ECV, but my mom had no difficulty with getting it onto buses, monorail and boats as long as she remembered to turn the speed down and take it slow and easy.

You won't need a guest assistance card, as those are to alert CM's to non-visible disabilities and with the ECV you will go through the mostly mainstreamed lines and be directed where to go for the non-mainstreamed lines.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Here's the list of places DIS posters report renting from that Figaro mentioned:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

http://www.scootaround.com/ Not much feedback. Several people who reported they had no problems.

Most people have their individual favorites, but any of these companies have had good reviews from DIS posters. The majority of people report using Care, Randy's or Walker. All will deliver and pick up from your WDW resort. Care and Walker will deliver it without you being there; some people like that so they can get going once they get to their resort. Randy's requires you be there to take delivery; some people like that because they get to look at and have an explanation of the ecv before they are on their own with it.

Busses, boat and monorails are not that difficult to get on. Just practice backing up and manouvering your ecv before your first transportation stop and you should be fine. After the first time, you will be a pro. The only thing to be aware of is that the boat from WL to MK is sometimes not accessible to ecvs or power wheelchairs becuase the water level is too high or low compared to the dock. This is not a problem at Epcot or the Epcot resorts. Because the waterways are smaller there than Bay Lake at MK, they are able to regulate the water level better.

I agree with Figaro that you won't need a Guest Assistance Card. Most lines are accessible for the ecv and the ones that are not, you can switch to a manual wheelchair at the line entrance. You don't need a card to use the wheelchair accessible lines; the CMs will see your ecv and direct you. Here's a link to the officail Disney page about touring WDW with mobility disabilities. it includes information about Mainstream lines (those where ecvs and wheelchairs can be brought into the entire line).

If you don't plan to use WDW transportation all the time, you should bring your handicapped parking permit so you can park in the handicapped parking areas. They do patrol the lots and it is possible to get a ticket if you park without one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter