Eat at home 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night we had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and carrots.

Tonight we are having corned beef with roasted sweet potatoes and zucchini

So my dh came down with the stomach bug that was going around so we had to cancel dd 's second birthday party :( so I took all three dds to the movies ( first time ever by myself) which went great saw frozen wonderful movie. Then a soccer game and sushi for dinner. And birthday cake yum!

Hope dh feels better soon I can't even cook the smell gets to him

My freezer is nearly empty! Im proud of myself. Now to tackle the pantry!

Thursday I made homemade pizza.
Friday was teriyaki chicken, egg rolls, and rice.
Saturday lunch was chicken taco salads. Dinner was out, my baby celebrated his 14th Birthday!
Lunch today is French Dip sandwiches, meat is in crock pot! Dinner....???? Busy day, so I need to get it planned! Probably leftovers.

Sun - Roasted chicken, hashbrown potatoes, sliced strawberries and bananas, green salad
Mon - Crockpot chicken pot pie with baked pie crust triangles
Tues - Steak fajitas with the fixings, sliced oranges
Wed - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, apple slices
Thurs - Pizza, kale chips, pear slices
Fri - Leftovers from the week with leftover fruits/veggies not used up:) - probably will be the pot pie over biscuits or the meatloaf with same and leftover pears/apples
Sat - Out

I have a leftover rotisserie chicken. I'm making chicken enchiladas with it. I'll add some sides, rice and something.

I did a horrendous job last week, so I'm hoping to redeem myself this week. I'm counting on leftovers to help fill in the gaps and provide work lunches.

Baked Ziti - Monday
Chicken pot pie - Wednesday
Kielbasa, chickpea and spinach stew - Friday

Hi All.

Sunday: Dinner out to celebrate DH birthday

Monday: Stuffed Green bell peppers, sweet carrots

Tuesday: Pesto Chicken Pasta with zucchini, garlic bread

Wednesday: Peppercorn marinated steak, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli

Thursday: Meatball stroganoff over egg noodles, peas and tomato/cucumber salad

Friday: Breakfast for dinner: Pancakes, biscuits and gravy (for DD) bacon, and strawberries

Saturday: Shrimp corn soup, baked potato bar for kids and baked sweet potato for DH and myself

Have a great week! :goodvibes

This week we are having...

Chicken avocado enchiladas
Kale, white bean, and sausage soup
Pork spare ribs with mashed sweet potatoes
Mexican stuffed shells

So that was a fun weekend! We had a all girls weekend thanks to dh stomach flu. Movies, sushi, and shopping the outlets. Today is my baby's 2 birthday ! I can't believe it!

This week not sure what we are having yet.

Going shopping later today.

Last night-Shepherd's Pie
Tonight-bean and rice burritos, salad
Tuesday-pork chops, noodles, green beans
Wednesday-pasta
Thursday-roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, rolls and butter (having company over)
Friday-steak fajitas, cheese quesadillas, salad
Saturday-buffalo chicken wraps
Sunday-leftovers (soup and grilled cheese sammies if there are no leftovers)

I need to do a tiny vent! :lmao:

My DH, wonderful man that he is has a little quirk that is going to be the death of me! :faint:

He loves to be adventurous in the the kitchen, but he doesn't often actually have the TIME to take over as chef. When he does, he generally makes something quick and easy or follows the meal plan I have so painstakingly made.

BUT, when we go grocery shopping together (something which I go to great lengths to avoid) he always adds these exotic ingredients to the cart.

The problem is that he seldom (if ever) actually gets around to making the things he buys all this crap for. Eventually, the expiration dates pass and I finally toss the stuff out. (He'd leave them in there until they walked out of their own accord, but that's a different rant! :rotfl2: )

I HATE food waste. And I'm not always in the mood to try and find ways to use up "his" items taking up space in my fridge, freezer and pantry.

However, at the end of December we went to the local butcher shop to buy a freezer pack. Instead of getting boneless chicken breasts, he wanted to get chicken thighs for some Tandoori recipe he had in mind. He wanted to make a big batch of it and bring it to work for his lunches. I said, okay.

He told the man, chicken legs...not chicken thighs. His ardor for this recipe cooled significantly once we realized the mistake...unfortunately (for me) not until AFTER we had bought the plain yogurt and necessary spices.

Now, I HATE chicken legs and NEVER cook with them or eat them. And we got 13 of them with our freezer pack. :sad2: I had a feeling that using them up was going to fall to me.

A week before the yogurt was to expire (which was about three weeks after we had purchased it), I reminded him about his plan. He said he would make the recipe up that weekend. Nothing happened. Two days before it was going to expire, I decided to find a way to use it up myself.

I made a butter chicken crock pot recipe and peeled the skin off of the chicken legs before putting them in the crock. I let it cook for the required amount of time, took the meat out, removed it from the bones, shredded it with two forks and then added it back to the sauce.

That took care of four of the legs...I still have 9 left. And he has absolutely no plans to use them up. :furious:

Okay, so that's my rant!

On a positive note...I have five of them going in the crock (just in water) and 4 roasting in the oven. I plan to separate the meat from the bones, skin and fat and refreeze it for things like enchiladas, soups, chilis, pizzas and wraps.

If anyone has anymore ideas on how to use up this cooked, shredded chicken please feel free to make suggestions. I just want it gone!

Friday night was just frozen pizza. I wasn't feeling well so I figured it would be quick and easy.
Saturday: Enchiladas
Sunday: Spagetti, garlic bread, salad
Monday: Ham, cheesy potatoes, green beans
Tuesday: Russian chicken, rice, corn
Wednesday: Italian beef sandwhiches, leftover cheesy potatoes
Thursday: Make your own nachos
Friday: beef stragnoff

I need to do a tiny vent! :lmao:

My DH, wonderful man that he is has a little quirk that is going to be the death of me! :faint:

He loves to be adventurous in the the kitchen, but he doesn't often actually have the TIME to take over as chef. When he does, he generally makes something quick and easy or follows the meal plan I have so painstakingly made.

BUT, when we go grocery shopping together (something which I go to great lengths to avoid) he always adds these exotic ingredients to the cart.

The problem is that he seldom (if ever) actually gets around to making the things he buys all this crap for. Eventually, the expiration dates pass and I finally toss the stuff out. (He'd leave them in there until they walked out of their own accord, but that's a different rant! :rotfl2: )

I HATE food waste. And I'm not always in the mood to try and find ways to use up "his" items taking up space in my fridge, freezer and pantry.

However, at the end of December we went to the local butcher shop to buy a freezer pack. Instead of getting boneless chicken breasts, he wanted to get chicken thighs for some Tandoori recipe he had in mind. He wanted to make a big batch of it and bring it to work for his lunches. I said, okay.

He told the man, chicken legs...not chicken thighs. His ardor for this recipe cooled significantly once we realized the mistake...unfortunately (for me) not until AFTER we had bought the plain yogurt and necessary spices.

Now, I HATE chicken legs and NEVER cook with them or eat them. And we got 13 of them with our freezer pack. :sad2: I had a feeling that using them up was going to fall to me.

A week before the yogurt was to expire (which was about three weeks after we had purchased it), I reminded him about his plan. He said he would make the recipe up that weekend. Nothing happened. Two days before it was going to expire, I decided to find a way to use it up myself.

I made a butter chicken crock pot recipe and peeled the skin off of the chicken legs before putting them in the crock. I let it cook for the required amount of time, took the meat out, removed it from the bones, shredded it with two forks and then added it back to the sauce.

That took care of four of the legs...I still have 9 left. And he has absolutely no plans to use them up. :furious:

Okay, so that's my rant!

On a positive note...I have five of them going in the crock (just in water) and 4 roasting in the oven. I plan to separate the meat from the bones, skin and fat and refreeze it for things like enchiladas, soups, chilis, pizzas and wraps.

If anyone has anymore ideas on how to use up this cooked, shredded chicken please feel free to make suggestions. I just want it gone!

You can always make chicken salad with the leftover chicken. We've had chicken salad sandwiches from chicken legs. Comes out tasty!

Oh my goodness me do I need to join this thread!
I just went over my cc statement and calculated that I spend almost $359/month dining out!!!

On top of that probably another $125 on groceries. My groceries are going to be expensive and I don't think I can whittle it down much as I only eat organic meat and veg and limited dairy. There's no where to stretch as I can't eat and "filler" foods.

Eating at home would certainly help. I need ideas that don't take a lot of involved cooking and freeze well as I'm just one person.

I think I should spend up front and get a foodsaver!!

Hey all. Just wanted to let you all in on a website that I have been LOVING. It is called Cozi. http://www.cozi.com/

It is an all in one organizational app for the whole family. The vast majority is free and it has been amazing to have in my opinion. I keep my calender on there, my to do list, other lists (like for moving), my meal list, my shopping list, and more. I love their meal planner and the fact that your shopping list can be made right there as well.

Just thought I would let you all know how I keep up with it all!

DH keeps a few noodle bowls in his office for times when he is running late and is unable to get a lunch together. Yesterday he refused my offer to make him a lunch, saying he would just have one of those noodle bowls. He had no spoon with him, so he headed down to the cafeteria...not to get a FREE plastic spoon but to buy a $10 sub. I strongly suspect this was his plan all along. :rotfl2:

He was very apologetic when he got home, which means he has no intention of paying for it out of his personal spending money. :(

We had a $21.61 surplus in the budget so I paid off his stupid sub and took the other $10 for myself. I put mine in the Disney fund! :woohoo:

Last night was leftovers

Today is my birthday but I am making dinner at home. We are having steaks with salad, corn bread pudding, and fruit.

This weeks meal plan is -
Sunday- steak, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and garlic cheese bread
Monday - Chicken breast with Mexican sauce, noodles with chili oil, brussel sprouts
Today - leftover chicken and black bean burritos, green beans
Wednesday - Pork Chops, instant mashed potatoes, creamed corn,
Thursday - leftover pork chops
Friday - not sure - ordering in I think.
Saturday - not planned yet!
Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter