Easter week crowds....6's? Really?

Friends of ours who always go in March (so not strangers to spring break crowds) were there over Easter last year and said it was much worse than they'd ever seen. This year they're going in May. If enough people had that experience, maybe it will be down. That and Pandora might have an effect. I think FPs and resort availability are pretty decent indicators. I wouldn't think 6, but it sounds like less busy than usual is in the realm of possibility.

Easter week is spring break week for most New England states -- maybe all? But it's not like we have a huge population up here. Most people that I know travel this current week (2/20) for February break to get away from the weather.

Not all. The local schools in northern Maine are on break right now.

When was the last time touring plans was correct on crowds? Sure, they think it'll be 6s :)

Exactly. My guess is 6.3175

I think this is just as likely to be accurate....
51T0DnfCflL._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been the week leading up to Easter when it seemed like a 6. Epcot handles the crowds better, space-wise, because there is more room to spread the crowd out. But the attractions are still very crowded (IMO there aren't enough of them for the space) and the World Showcase gets really packed. Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom get insanely crowded by early afternoon - I can't wait to get out of there at that point. Hollywood Studios didn't bother me as much for some reason. It's going to be 9/10 the week leading up to Easter. The week after Easter may start as 9/10 but should be get better than the week before Easter, I've heard.

We've always had a blast that week before though. Just plan accordingly, leave enough time to get to any ADRs, FP+, between parks etc.

We always go that week and I'd agree with 6's most days at most parks. Only time we notice heavier crowds is mid afternoon at MK. In recent years, Easter week has not been what it used to be when our whole country seemed to have Easter week as the only spring break. Nowadays many areas have split breaks and time frame goes from February right through April.

We are going again this year for Easter week and can't wait. Deals were pretty good and I've had a super easy time getting ADR's and FP's.
Totally agree we have been doing this week for years and its not insane at all, but hey let people think it is and not book! Spring breaks are all over the place so having ours the 3rd week of april really is great! 17-24th for us yahoooooooo

As of last night, there were no tables available at California Grill between 4 and 11 pm from 4/8 to 4/15 for a party of 4. I'd say that is more than a 6.

Not all. The local schools in northern Maine are on break right now.

My understanding is that the New England schools generally have a week break both in Feb and April. We're in Massachusetts and I think MA and Maine are generally the same (we're both on break now and then we have the week of 4/17 off) and New Hampshire is staggered to the week after, but not sure of the other NE states. Maybe not every district but generally speaking...

MA follows a state holiday for spring break (Patriot's Day, third Monday of April) but it only coincides with Easter every few years. We have a trip planned for that week, so preparing for 10s but hoping for 6s! Probably unlikely!

When was the last time touring plans was correct on crowds? Sure, they think it'll be 6s :)
They are like Disney hours: they update and get more realistic the closer you get to the dates.

If one reviews the historical (actual) numbers for the equivalent period the year before, that gives additional info.

ETA: I also spot-check these when deciding when to travel:
http://**************.net/2015/10/18/2017-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/
http://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-crowd-calendar-for-the-2017-2018-school-year/

They are like Disney hours: they update and get more realistic the closer you get to the dates.

If one reviews the historical (actual) numbers for the equivalent period the year before, that gives additional info.

http://**************.net/2015/10/18/2017-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/
http://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-crowd-calendar-for-the-2017-2018-school-year/

I agree about 6's being the new 8's - I checked the historical numbers for last year on our trip the same week in April (but not Easter) and it looked similar, but of course not sure if that will actually play out...it was busy but manageable last year. I will check out those other site too...

All of the largest counties in Michigan have spring break at the end of March or first weekend of April. With Easter so late I think you can expect lower crowds. It won't be a 10.

The new 6 probably translates to an 8 from a couple years ago.
I completely agree. We went the last week of September and the crowds were supposed to be a 5 or 6....it was so crowded, every park we hopped to. We couldn't believe it, my husband told me to never base anything on the crowd calendars again, lol

I completely agree. We went the last week of September and the crowds were supposed to be a 5 or 6....it was so crowded, every park we hopped to. We couldn't believe it, my husband told me to never base anything on the crowd calendars again, lol
Where your husband is off base is using a crowd calendar to steer you to the preferred park of the day. Not to be confused with the not crowded park, just the one that is preferred. If you zag when everyone else is zagging you'll notice a difference from when you zig when everyone else is zagging. That's what to use the crowd calendars for, when to zig

Easter week may be lighter than usual because it is so late. The college spring break season will be long done and Easter often lands somewhere in that period, but not this year. But, I can't imagine that Easter weeks, especially the week leading into Easter, will be anywhere near a 6, it'll still be very busy.

I use hours + travel agent calendars + one day ticket (or party ticket) tier and sometimes sprinkle in some "3+ day off within these 2 weeks". but I'm also local, I'm just trying to sort out how early to get to something to film it.

Posters have mentioned the lateness of Easter, but what they aren't mentioning are the more expensive prices. We are also in a time of (inter)national uncertainty, especially concerning travel to the USA from outside the USA.

Some years ago, Easter pricing wasn't all that bad, and before FP+, if you got up early, you could still manage to ride almost everything.

Folks tend to go once a year or less to WDW, so they've tried FP+, and gave WDW time to work on the details.

I'm not trying to debate FP+, but many casual visitors now think FP+= only 3 FP, and tiered at that.

Hotel/airfare prices for peak weeks like Easter have gone up and up, while the amount of e-rides one can enjoy with a FP (relative to FP-) has gone down.

Also, in one sense, April isn't the ideal time to go to FL, it is a little too late in the spring. North Americans who live in a place with cold winters visit FL to escape snow/cold/darkness, but if you go to FL in mid-April, you miss part of spring.

Put all of the above together, and they could contribute to lower bookings Easter week. Though that isn't to say there won't be any last minute deals or folks to take advantage of them.

I live outside NYC and every district near me, plus NYC is off the week leading up to Easter this year because of Passover being the weekend before. My kids go to Catholic school so we get off the week after Easter. I'm hoping that the shift in calendars makes a lighter week for us when we go the day after Easter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter