Earthquake!

I was on the 6th floor DLH Fantasy Tower. There was no mistaking it there! The tower was swaying and you could hear the building creaking. Elevators were all down for a long time.

Second this!! We were resting after EMH and the 4th floor of the Grand California was rolling and swaying! Unmistakable earthquake, even though my kids had no idea anything was going on! Non-Cali residents for you!! Lol 😆

I’m home in Chicago for a few days and some people I know felt it. I did notice that there were a number of attraction closures after it happen. Most things in TL seemed to be down, presumably because of the quake.
I believe that they have to physically walk the tracks to inspect for damage. It's a very slow process.

We are in San Diego and were driving and didn’t even know an earthquake happened! But apparently people down here reported feeling it.... we were in La Jolla so maybe too far south or because we were moving. We’ve been here three weeks tomorrow and made it through our first Southern California earthquake. At Disneyland last weekend I was wondering what happened in the parks after a quake and now I know!

There was a 5.4 tremor this morning a little after 4am. I didn't feel it, but our cockatiel flew out of his cage onto my bed, and that has never happened before, so I'm thinking he felt the earthquake. He woke me up when he jumped on my toe around 5:30am, and it was still dark outside (he doesn't fly in the dark normally).

Lol yeah I felt this one. It was a 7.1 in the same place again. Time to pull out that earthquake kit just in case lol

Question for California residents: Has there been such an intense series of aftershocks to a quake in the state's history before?

From what I have read about San Fran. in 1906 and 1989 as well as Northridge in '94, the aftershocks paled in comparison to the original, fading off considerably.

But this latest 7.1 quake, the third with the same epicenter of 5.0 or greater strength in two days, was felt as far away as Phoenix, apparently.

Any precedent to a series of quakes with such intensity?

Last edited:
I’m dizzy from that one tonight - it would not stop! (I’m in LA). I see rides are down again- hope everyone is fine in Anaheim!

Question for California residents: Has there been such an intense series of aftershocks to a quake in the state's history before?

From what I have read about San Fran. in 1906 and 1992 as well as Northridge in '94, the aftershocks paled in comparison to the original, fading off considerably.

But this latest 7.1 quake, the third of 5.0 or greater strength in two days, was felt as far away as Phoenix, apparently.

I can’t speak to any precedent, but do know they said there was a 9% chance for a higher magnitude aftershock

From what I have read about San Fran. in 1906 and 1992 as well as Northridge in '94, the aftershocks paled in comparison to the original, fading off considerably.

But this latest 7.1 quake, the third with the same epicenter of 5.0 or greater strength in two days, was felt as far away as Phoenix, apparently.

It isn’t unheard of.

We were waiting in line to go into Oga’s when this last one hit. We’re hoping all the rides open back up soon. I think that was the second longest earthquake I have experienced as an adult. The 2010 Baja Easter earthquake was the same magnitude and lasted 89 seconds.

In 1989 when I was still a California resident we had the 7.1/6.9 Loma Prieta quake. There was a 5.2 aftershock a few minutes after the big one, but nothing bigger and they calmed down after a few more days. I was eleven years old. That shaking is my most vivid childhood memory.

Seems like the faults are busy. I might go take a look at the Ring of Fire for funsies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter